Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Support from the Conservative Party?
Post Support from the Conservative Party? 
We have support from some Labour (inluding the Veterans Minister at the time), from the SNP and other smaller parties in the Commons, and from MSPs in Scotland. But where does the Conservative Party stand? I intend finding out. Message sent today to key Conservative Party members:

I am fighting two battles - one for the PJM and one for the Conservative Party. I was told by a usually reliable source that the Conservative Party knew the discredited FCO Ministerial Statement was built on sand, was faulted, and led to the Queen discriminating against her British subjects on a vast scale, but preferred to let us tackle and embarrass the Government. I was told that it was not an issue in the party.

Unhappily for our party, those who took that view got it seriously wrong and we now see that the Government did treat our arguments seriously and they accepted the wearing of the PJM as an issue. We received numerous calls from Ministers and from civil servants in their departments to clarify our submissions. The Conservative Party was not awake to any of this. I think they did not understand the importance of the issue - nor the importance attached to it by the Government.

We have now been officially told that double-medalling (one of the two objections against the wear of the PJM) was never seriously considered to be a true objection across the board by either the HD Committee or the FCO - we can only assume it was raised by the MoD to provide some respectability to what is otherwise a shameful recommendation. Rear Admiral Wilkinson (MoD and HD Committee) could not have been so stupid as to mislead the HD Committee - or could he?

I had a meeting with my own MP last week. He asked me "Why don't you just wear it? - you've been given ‘a nod and a wink’ so to do”. We have not - and even if we had, we are told that if an ex-serviceman was to wear the PJM it would be a "grave discourtesy to the Queen".

What has happened here is that the PJM should have either "not been entertained" because it acknowledged service more than 5 years ago (Foreign Decorations Rule) or it should have been recommended for unrestricted acceptance, i.e. to be worn 'in line'. The confused hotchpot of disinformation used to camouflage the emerging mean-minded recommendation did not provide a compromise nor did it resolve anything.

If the Conservatives want to make headway in Scotland, they should start asking questions about the PJM in London. There is deep-rooted disquiet up there about the hypocrisy of yet another decision that adversely affects issues the Scots hold dear to their hearts. There, we have 100% support from the SNP, and 100% support from the MSPs that we have contacted. Not to mention those like David Mundell who has been unflagging in his support from the day he understood the justice in our case.

The 317 year history of the KOSB's loyal service has been chucked out of the window in London, and those who were Malaya-Borneo veterans (they did sterling service in Malaysia) will not even be able to take home a wearable PJM medal.

When we go to KOSB parades over the mext month or so to pay our respects to a great Regiment, we want to be able to quote support from the Conservative Party not because we support the party (we are apolitical), but because the party understands the fundamental injustice that has been perpetrated on this country's veterans by an outdated Imperials Honours System ... which was improperly and inappropriately applied!

As a result, the Queen, having already granted permission to my Australian and New Zealand ex-comrades in arms in the Commonwealth Brigade to wear their PJM with pride, has been instructed to deny me that same right. I am only allowed to have "a souvenir" that I must not wear! Not to mention (but I shall) the stinging insult to the Malaysian King and People.

My question is a simple one - Does the Conservative Party recognise the iniquity of that discrimination, or does it not? Does it recognise how mean-minded and shameful the recommendation is to civilians who are veterans who served Malaysia well? What is at stake? Not precedent - that is hogwash and the Government and the HD Committee now know that. What is at stake is the integrity of our system and those that operate it - a system that has been used to create anomalies not avoid them. Oh yes - and a little bit of pride and joy to some ageing veterans. It's our medal, and we should be able to wear it.

We're up for the fight for our rights - are you?

Last edited by BarryF on Mon May 08, 2006 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Support from Political Parties 
Don't forget UKIP they are 100% behind us.

Post Some Potential for Canadian Input? 
Herewith an exchange of e-mails between: myself/Lord James Douglas-Hamilton MSP/ Colin Carrie MP (my Canadian MP)....I have deleted my original e-mail as it made for an incredibly long post...hopefully we may, via this route, exert a little trans-Atlantic pressure on the UK 'brass'?

All in reverse order of course......
======================================================

Dear Mr. Fenton:
Thank you for taking the time to write me about wearing medals from other countries. I understand that Lord Douglas-Hamilton has asked that you write our office, and to which we contact the Department of National Defence.

As you requested, I have taken and forwarded your request to the Department of National Defence, as their office can address this issue the best. Please keep our office updated on your request.

Sincerely,

Colin Carrie, M.P. - Oshawa
Parliamentary Secretary to the
Minister of Industry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: May 8, 2006 8:27 AM
To: Carrie, Colin - M.P.
Subject: Request for assistance

Colin Carrie MP.

Dear Sir,

Please oblige by reading the following exchange of e-mails which will, I hope, prove self explanatory.

I am writing to you as your constituent and as suggested by Lord James Douglas-Hamilton....I believe that my case is pretty well explained in my initial submission to that Scottish MP, but, should you require further detail I would be delighted to furnish you with prompt answers to any question you might have.

Would you kindly assist me by writing to the Secretary of State for Defence as suggested?

Thank you.

Your constituent.

John ‘Jock’ Fenton
328 Hillcroft Street, Oshawa. Ontario. Canada.

----- Original Message -----
From: Lord.James.Douglas-Hamilton.msp@scottish.parliament.uk
To: jfenton1128@rogers.com
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 7:46 AM
Subject: RE: request

Dear Mr Fenton

Thank you very much for your e-mail. In accordance with our Parliamentary rules I suggest that you take this up through your Member of Parliament in Canada. They could then write to the Secretary of State for Defence on your behalf, with a copy to myself.

Yours sincerely

James Douglas-Hamilton

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 8:51 PM
To: Douglas-Hamilton J (James), MSP
Subject: request

Dear Lord Douglas - Hamilton MSP

Subject: Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM)
............................original text deleted for brevity's sake...................

Post Re: Support from Political Parties 
Paul Alders wrote:
Don't forget UKIP they are 100% behind us.

Great stuff, Paul.

All support from all parties of integrity is welcome.

PS Did you any more from them after their earlie contact with you?

Post Re: Some Potential for Canadian Input? 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Herewith an exchange of e-mails between: myself/Lord James Douglas-Hamilton MSP/ Colin Carrie MP (my Canadian MP)....I have deleted my original e-mail as it made for an incredibly long post...hopefully we may, via this route, exert a little trans-Atlantic pressure on the UK 'brass'?

That's what we need. Enfilading fire! You should be awarded the Transatlantic Star, my friend!

Post Canadian Capers... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Quote:

An update on my exchange of e-mails listed above....just rec'd acknowlegement from the Candian MoD that they have 'received the copy of my letter and will advise'.

Post Canadian Capers... 
Further to my letter to my (Canadian) MP...just received the following from the MoD (Canadian version)....they work slow (what else?), but at least they appear to be following up on the complaint...

Quote:
Dear Mr. Fenton:

Your e-mail concerning the wearing of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia decoration was forwarded to the Honourable Gordon J. O'Connor, Minister of National Defence, by your Member of Parliament, Mr. Colin Carrie.

Policy on the wearing of foreign awards and decorations is the responsibility of the Chancellery of Honours at Government House. I have therefore taken the liberty of forwarding a copy of your correspondence to Ms. Mary de Bellefeuille-Percy, Director of the Honours Directorate, for her consideration.

Thank you for writing. I trust this information is of assistance.

Sincerely,

Deborah Mac Culloch
Manager
Minister's Correspondence Unit

cc: Ms. Mary de Bellefeuille-Percy
Mr. Colin Carrie, MP

Post Positive response from an MP... 
Have just received the following email from Eric Joyce MP in answer to a letter I sent him quite a while back....this one falls into the 'Better late than never' category I think?

Quote:
Dear Jock

Thanks for contacting me on this important issue. I can understand your concerns and I apologise for the delay in replying to you.

The gallantry and heroism of the servicemen and women who fought for Britain in Borneo has been recognised for a long time. I have a great deal of sympathy with your views, and I have decided to write to the Rt Hon Des Browne MP, the Secretary of State for Defence on your behalf, although technically I am supposed to respond to constituents only, I feel this issue warrants a response. I will contact you again when I am in receipt of a reply from the Minister.

Best wishes

Eric Joyce MP

.....Why not drop YOUR MP a little line or two...Could very well make all the difference?

Post Further communication from Eric Joyce MP (Falkirk) 
Further to the communication previously reported: Today (11th June) I received a letter from Eric Joyce MP...couched in most friendly terms too, expressing his regrets that he had to consider that I'd be disappointed with the response that I have received from the FCO.

Mr Joyce enclosed a letter in response to his query, on my (our) behalf from the FCO, sent to him by Ian Mc Cartney. Mr McCartneys letter to Mr Joyce was in fact merely a photocopy of the letter he (McCartney) sent to me personally on June 13th...so it was neither helpful nor was it in any way informative...just as I have come to anticipate!

No matter, the MP for Falkirk is clearly 'in our corner', I'm happy to report. He closed his letter by saying that 'he'd be grateful if I'd pass on his good wishes to any of my colleagues'.

Consider that done herewith!

All readers...Please write, or e-mail, your MP asking him/her to contact the FCO for you and ask the question on your behalf.

Old hat but still important about 75% down the page

http://www.julianlewis.net/speech_detail.php?id=108

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1