Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
This is Lancashire
Post This is Lancashire 
Dennis awarded medal from Malaysia
By Deborah Linton
A WAR veteran has become the first man in Bolton to be awarded a prestigious medal for services abroad.

Dennis Birchall, aged 65, served as a Lance Corporal with the British army in Malaysia for three years.

He was sent to the Far East in 1962 and was among thousands of British servicemen who fought for Malaysia against Indonesia in the war over Borneo.

continued...
This week, he became the town's first ex-serviceman to be awarded the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (Service to Malaysia) medal by the Malaysian government.

The silver medal was sent from the Malaysian embassy in London and carries a blue, red and yellow ribbon to represent the state's flag.

The accompanying letter read: "In appreciation of the meritorious acts and supreme sacrifices made by the security forces and civilian staff from Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Nepal, to Malaysia.

"The supreme head of the federation of Malaysia awards medals to all those who distinguished themselves in chivalry, gallantry and loyalty, while performing their services."

The medal is available to all British servicemen who fought in the conflict. So far, there have been 8,000 applications for the medals and 50 have been sent out in Britain.

Mr Birchall, who is a retired printer's assistant and lives in The Crescent, Westhoughton, with his wife Mary, said: "I'm very proud and honoured. It is particularly special to be recognised by the country that I fought to help."

Veterans are currently fighting a decision by the Government's Honours and Decorations Committee which forbids them from wearing foreign awards.

Mr Birchall, a member of the National Malayan and Borneo Veterans Association, said: "I was upset not to be able to wear it on Remembrance Day, but hopefully I will be able to next year."

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1