Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Brits Can't Wear Foreign Gongs ... Err ... read this ...
Post Brits Can't Wear Foreign Gongs ... Err ... read this ... 
Our eagle-eyed and staunch supporter and PJMer now living in the USA, Keith, has sent us this link with the message:

"Hi chaps.

Perhaps as you read this you may get a bit annoyed??

Then scroll down and perhaps add to it via the comments section. "

Annoyed??? You bet! I read it and, surprise surprise, I sent the BBC a billet doux!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6147544.stm

Post Re: Brits Can't Wear Foreign Gongs ... Err ... read this ... 
BarryF wrote:
Our eagle-eyed and staunch supporter and PJMer now living in the USA, Keith, has sent us this link with the message:

"Hi chaps.

Perhaps as you read this you may get a bit annoyed??

Then scroll down and perhaps add to it via the comments section. "

Annoyed??? You bet! I read it and, surprise surprise, I sent the BBC a billet doux!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6147544.stm

I have just sent a message on the Comment Panel below the article, lets all do something and show our displeasure! Well done Keith for spotting that

John

Mine was submitted a couple of hours ago...and I have been checking the Beeb to gauge progress....not only is my own post not published (no sour grapes honest!) but no others have been published either since the original 2 (both relatively innocuous)...what makes me wonder is that the article on the Beeb site has been 'buried'....or, I'm sure they would say 'replaced by a more newsworthy story'...(Resuscitation of Premature Babies).....a quiet word from the Halls of Power??....you know, the ones that simply cannot become involved in matters before the Government!

Me too! Me too! I have noticed in the past that it can take a while (several hours or even a day later) for anything to appear.
GerryL

I have just checked its now 0600hrs (GMT), 1400 hrs out here. The link is still on the Beeb site no update, no change.

I believe he got one medal for wining an argument with a tomato plant.
SENT

I have looked up the QE11 Coronation Medal on the Heritage Medals web site and read up on this medal. It made very interesting reading.

http://www.heritagemedals.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=266

Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal 1953: This medal was issued in 1953 to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The silver medal is 32 millimetres in diameter, with the Queen's profile on the obverse side. The text "Queen Elizabeth II Crowned 2nd June 1953" is round the circumference of the reverse side, with the royal monogram EIIR in the middle. The medal's ribbon is dark red with two narrow blue stripes in the middle, with narrow white edges. The Coronation Medal was minted to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II as such it was not a military medal but was rather awarded to a list of individuals as a personal souvenir. The Governments of the various countries in the British Commonwealth determined the list of individuals to be awarded. The medals were presented following the coronation on 02 June, 1953. 138,214 original medals were issued.

Note the part "The Coronation Medal was minted to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II as such it was not a military medal but was rather awarded to a list of individuals as a personal souvenir".

I ask the question 'Why is he wearing it if it is only a souvenir?

Will he not upset his mother?

Don't get me wrong, I am a royalist (I was one of Prince Charles's tutors when he was serving in the Royal Navy) but what's good for one must be good for another and he should be setting an example.

David Pearce Ex RN

I ask the question 'Why is he wearing it if it is only a souvenir?

David,

I hope that excellent point is well taken by those with double standards in the Mod, FCO and Cabinet Office. When explaining the apparent insult to an honourable medal by officially referring to it as a souvenir, they explained that it is "long-established" medallic custom to call a medal that did not have formal permission to be worn a 'souvenir'.

So your question is a good one.

I am sure those who received the official explanation (are you there JC?) will want to drop a billet doux to the FCO and Cabinbet Office (and MoD) referring to the QEII Coronation 'citation'.

Many thanks for your continuing support at this critical time.

Barry

I wonder if he has got the Naafi Star as well

I wonder if he has got the Naafi Star as well

Hi valentine,

I see from the latest comments on that BBC page that Prince Charles refers to some of his medals as his 'chocolate' ones!

Bought at the NAAFI counter?

I bet he did'nt dip in his pockets to pay tho

If the Coronation Medal is labelled thus then it follows that so do the Silver and Golden Jubilee Medals!

John

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next