Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Veteran will defy Foreign Office ban

If you try writing to any of the suits, you may get a reply and maybe not, if you do receive a reply they will make out you are in the wrong, deceit, lies and more damned lies!

It seems that my note to the Editor of The Sentinel in support of Roy Follows was published in the paper on the 10th. Roy has sent me a copy of it which I attach below.

It seems that my note to the Editor of The Sentinel in support of Roy Follows was published in the paper on the 10th.

A a great letter it is, too, Laurie.

Post Follows Follow-up 
Roy Follows has kindly pointed out that my recent letter to the Editor, in support of Roy's article was published yesterday in the Sentinel:
==================================

THIS DECISION IS MIND-BOGGLING
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
Be the first reader to comment on this story

09:40 - 11 October 2006
Sir, - With reference to Alison Barbuti's excellent article, how terribly sad it is that the British Government's unfathomably mean-spirited refusal to permit Malaya/Borneo veterans the right to wear the medal, bestowed upon them by a grateful Malaysian nation, will deny veterans such as Roy Follows a tiny bit of well-deserved pride in their declining years.This shocking revelation inspires the following questions.

Precisely what deleterious effect can the accepting and wearing of the PJM have upon the integrity of the Imperial Honours System, and what possible harm can result from permitting elderly veterans the unrestricted right to wear their medal with justifiable pride?

All Britons should be absolutely delighted to see British veterans thus honoured by a grateful foreign nation. What an incredible shame that their own nation refuses to accord them similar honour and respect.

The mind positively boggles at such an ignominious exhibition of myopic, bureaucratic insensitivity.

John 'Jock' Fenton
ex-Royal Corps of Signals & 17th Gurkha Division

Post Re: Follows Follow-up 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
THIS DECISION IS MIND-BOGGLING

A great letter, Jock.

I agree, it is positively mind-boggling. Those Malay Policemen like Roy took the brunt of the Emergency, suffering proportionately the greatest casualties while doing the most dangerous jobs. Of course he should where his medal - and this Government should ensure he can do so with the Queen's approval.

Congrats Laurie as well, and thanks to Roy, for sending my letter published in the Sentinel.

As photogenic as ever, George!! No, not you ... the PJM!

Asalways, you make some telling points.

Many thanks, Barry

Post Annandale Herald 12-10-06. 
More from the KOSB Medal Presentation.

Post Annandale Herald 12-10-06 
Another one from our local newspaper to-day. I particularly like Brigadier Allstead's remarks.

Post KOSB Medal Presentation. 
The British High Commissioner to Malaysia W.B. McCleary CVO, and the Defence Attache at the BHC Kuala Lumpur, Colonel Paul Edwards and his assistant, attended the presentation of Pingat Jasa Malaysia medals by the Malaysian Secretary General at the Shangri La Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, on 6th. October, 2006, to Kings Own Scottish Broderer veterans who fought in the jungle campaign in Malaya 1955 to 1958.

Our photgraph shows the British High Commissioner, W.B. McCleary with his Defence Attache, speaking to Ogilvie Dickson, from Melrose, one of the recipients of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia and an organiser of the trip. Ogilvie can be seen proudly wearing his medal.

Post PS. 
The chap standing next to Brigadier Allstead and between him and the Malaysian Secretary General in one photo is said to be the British High Commissioner and the chap speaking to Ogie Dickson also reported as W.B. McCleary, British High Commissioner seem to have different hair colour. I have been assured that the person talking to Ogie Dickson is in fact McCleary and they both look identical except for the ginger hair in one photo, must be the photo colouring. I will check from those who also attended the Civic Reception - Medal Presentation Ceremony.

Well Andy that is a smack in the eye for British Protocol to saa the Malaysians pinning the medals on to our own Vets, eat your heart out FCO!!!!!!

Well Andy that is a smack in the eye for British Protocol to saa the Malaysians pinning the medals on to our own Vets, eat your heart out FCO!!!!!!

Yes John, and the Civil Service as far as the PJM is concerned (and possibly other matters) are paper tigers with no bite whatsoever. They can huff and they can puff but they will not blow our house down.

I do not recall giving permission to Boyd McCleary, British High Commissioner, permission to wear a tie at the KOSB Civic Reception and Medals Presentation, oh well, he can wear it if he likes but without authority - same thing, isn't it.

The only word to describe this farce is ludicrous!

Yes Andy, you could not make up a story like this, even though you might be an Empire Maker sitting in those smoked filled rooms in The Raffles Hotel in Singers

Well done for highlightimg the Press Coverage, I guess that there are too many now to highlight in the letters column, Roy Follows has many in The Sentinel,John Felthams radio interview, The Scottish Newspapers via Andy Nicholl, Gerry Law and a few others, we are now getting TV coverage. All we want is for Batman to scale the walls of BuckHouse wearing a giant PJM and phase 3 will be under way, any volunteers??????

I like that expression 'Silly Billys' is Denis H around?

The day cometh................

Last edited by John Cooper on Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total

It is good to see all the press coverage that the KOSB's visit is generating.

Does anyone know what sort of coverage the Panorama team are planning?

Reply to topic Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next