Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Laura Moffatt
Post Laura Moffatt 
I've just read in my local paper that we did have an event in Crawley yesterday. According to the article it was organised and funded by Laura Moffatt. Now nobody that I know, knew anything about this. Also, she is aware of my existence and that I am a veteran but she did not contact me with an invitation. I wonder why not, Was it because she was afraid that I would raise the topic of her lack of support for our cause? I'm about to write to the paper and to Moffatt so I might soon be able to provide the answers.

Post Laura Moffatt 
This is what I have just sent to the local paper that carried the article about Laura Moffatt's bash yesterday.
Dear Editor
I read with interest your article about the Veteran's Day event that was held yesterday and I'm glad that Mr Worth enjoyed the day. However, there is a dark cloud hanging over this. I am a veteran of the Borneo Campaign but was not aware of this event taking place. It was obviously a well kept secret. My contacts with the local council did not just fail to inform me of anything that was being planned, they failed to get any response at all. So much for treating our veterans with honour.
Which leads me to my main point. Apparently the event was organised by Laura Moffatt MP. I have to inform your readers that Ms Moffatt is fully aware of my existence and that I am a veteran as we have exchanged many emails and letters over the last few months.
So why did Ms Moffatt ignore me? Could it be that she was afraid that I might raise with her the subject of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM), which has been offered to all Commonwealth veterans who served in Malaysia from 1957 to 1966, but which the government have advised Her Majesty to allow the British only to accept, but not to wear? On the advice of the governments of the other Commonwealth nations that fought in those jungles, their veterans are allowed to wear their PJM with the pride and honour it deserves. Our government, Ms Moffatt's friends, have reduced the medal to the status of a mere trinket - a fairground bauble.
Once again we see the cynical manipulation of a group of citizens to satisfy the lust for publicity that lies, not so dormant, within the psyche of our politicians. This time it is the turn of the veterans to be shown the hollow gesture of appreciation. The politicians profess to honour us when the cameras and microphones are in operation but they are powerless, or unwilling, to back us when we ask for support.
I doubt that you will see fit to publish this, which would be a shame. But there are 35 000 Malaya/Borneo veterans who are being deprived of their just rights by a small group of Civil Servants over whom our MPs have no control. The battle has been joined. We won our war in the jungle 40 years ago - we shall not lose this one.
Regards
Gerald Law
6 Knole Close
Crabbet Park
Worth
Crawley
RH10 7GA
Incidentally, should this letter raise any interest, I would be quite happy to write a brief article giving the background to this forgotten war - forgotten that is by the general public, not by those who fought it.

Post Laura Moffatt 
And this is what I have sent to the lady herself.
Dear Ms Moffatt
I was intrigued to read in the Crawley News today of the event that you organised to recognise Veteran's Day yesterday. This was obviously a very well kept secret because for several months I have been attempting to find out what was being laid on in our town. Bearing in mind that we have communicated several times, although with a singular lack of success, I would have expected you to at least remember this veteran who lives in your constituency.
Perhaps you are somewhat abashed that you and your party colleagues have been so spectacularly failing in offering any support to the Malaya/Borneo veterans who are seeking to assert their just rights over the PJM issue.
Given the singular lack of cohesion across the land for what should have been a day of honour, perhaps next year's travesty should be called Selective Veteran's Day, as this year's was neither all embracing nor was it National.

Two crackers Gerry...I do hope the publish the one you sent to the local rag...if they do PLEASE let me know so that I might 'follow up' with a letter to the Editor of my own...

Post Laura Moffatt 
Lets all send an email to Laura Moffatt MP (mp stands for Missed Placed, as she missed placed her PJM Veterans)

moffattl@parliament.uk

Post Laura Moffatt 
Just received this reply.
Dear Mr Law

I am sorry that you feel aggrieved regarding the event I hosted for National Veterans Day. I felt it was important to mark the day and honour veterans in Crawley which is why I hosted an event with the kind support of the Arora Hotel.

It most certainly was not a 'well kept secret' as you suggest. I asked the all the ex service organisations including the Legions and the Royal Naval Association, to invite people and we had an excellent response. The number of enquiries to my office would not lead me to believe that people did not know about it. However, it was the only event arranged in Crawley for the day.

No one was turned away and you would have been very welcome but I am amazed that you couldn't find out anything for two months.

There were several Malaya/Borneo veterans present on the day all of whom had been invited or heard about it through the Legion. The Legion were informed of the day back in February but felt unable to arrange an event in the time, however next year they plan to hold their own event to which I am sure you would be very welcome.

Yours truly

Laura Moffatt MP

Post Re: Laura Moffatt 
GerryL wrote:

There were several Malaya/Borneo veterans present on the day all of whom had been invited or heard about it through the Legion.

Write and ask her for their names.

Post Laura Moffatt 
Here is my reply
Dear Ms Moffatt
Thank you for your prompt reply to my enquiry. I must admit to being more than a little disappointed at the lack of overall coordination of events for the Veteran's Day. Repeated visits to the Veteran's Agency web site revealed very few events taking place anywhere in the country and none in our region. I would have thought that to be the ideal method of communicating the publicity for anything that was planned.
You say that there were some Malaya/Borneo veterans at the Arora. I would be grateful if you could pass me their names as I am planning to set up a Crawley branch of the National Malaya and Borneo Veterans Association and as I am not aware that we have any members in this area, I would be keen to introduce them to their Association.
Regards
Gerald Law

Post Re: Laura Moffatt 
GerryL wrote:
Here is my reply
Dear Ms Moffatt
Thank you for your prompt reply to my enquiry. I must admit to being more than a little disappointed at the lack of overall coordination of events for the Veteran's Day. Repeated visits to the Veteran's Agency web site revealed very few events taking place anywhere in the country and none in our region. I would have thought that to be the ideal method of communicating the publicity for anything that was planned.
You say that there were some Malaya/Borneo veterans at the Arora. I would be grateful if you could pass me their names as I am planning to set up a Crawley branch of the National Malaya and Borneo Veterans Association and as I am not aware that we have any members in this area, I would be keen to introduce them to their Association.
Regards
Gerald Law

I wonder if you will receive a reply to that one Gerry? I doubt it, perhaps you could direct Miss Moffatt to this web page

Post Laura Moffatt 
My email to To GerryL

I have just read the article in The News, I am also a veteran of the Borneo Confrontation and like you did not receive an invitation to the event at the Arora Hotel. I did not know the event was taking place, the publicity was non-existant.

When I receive my medal I will wear it no matter what the government decrees.

Regards

Geoff Graves

The reply from GerryL

Geoff
I have responded to Mrs Moffatt's comments - she has never voiced any support for us. All she has done is to forward my letters and emails to the FCO, who have simply repeated the Ministerial Statement of 31st Jan. I asked her last week why she did not consider the Malaya/Borneo veterans for her shindig and she replied that there were some at the Arora. I asked her to supply their names and she has gone very quiet since. It would be very useful if you could let your views be known to the News. The Campaign is starting to see some success and your input could be very timely.
I don't know if you are a member of NMBVA? I am thinking of starting a local branch so your comments would be helpful.
Best Wishes
Gerry Law

Post Laura Moffatt 
This is what I have just sent to my MP in response to her comments in yesterday's Crawley News article.
Dear Mrs Moffatt
Following the article that appeared in yesterday's Crawley News, and your comments that accompanied it, I must respond.
1. You say that you support our Campaign, but you have restricted this support? to simply forwarding my communications to the FCO who respond only to reiterate their flawed and immoral "two rules" that were first "broken" to allow the medal to be received, and were then invoked to forbid its wearing. This is hardly supporting the Campaign.
2. You say that the issue is complicated. Nothing could be further from the truth. The dates and zones for qualification of the PJM are quite explicit, as is the necessary time in theatre. If these criteria are met, then the PJM is valid. Failure to meet any one of the criteria and the medal cannot be awarded. Very simple.
3. You state that "authorities are concerned that if too many medals are allowed to be worn, then they will be devalued". Frankly, this is absurd. The value in any medal is in the service which it rewards. A WWII veteran will typically wear anything from 2 to 6 or even more depending on the Campaigns in which he has served. Are these medals devalued by quantity? Of course not, and I invite you to suggest as much to the next old soldier that you see wearing a set of WWII medals.
4. You state that you invited the Royal British Legion to do the inviting. This omits one very fundamental fact. Not all veterans belong to the RBL but have Associations of their own - mine is the National Malaya and Borneo Veterans Association. It seems that perhaps the RBL, acting as your agent, chose not to extend the invitation beyond their own bar rail.
5. You state that if I had phoned you for an invitation, I would have received one. My major problem with this whole business is that I was not aware that there was to be an event. I can hardly phone you asking for an invite to a gathering that I do not know was planned. That is definitely Mad Hatter's Tea Party thinking. Nobody I spoke to before the event or since, be they veterans or not, knew of the event that you laid on. The Veterans Agency web site page that was designed for just such publicity, contained nothing whatsoever in the Crawley, or even West Sussex areas.
I should welcome the chance to clear the air on this topic, but in order to do so I must ask you to support the cause, preferably by using your position to back the statement made by Mr Don Touhig last week. Can you please indicate your unequivocal support by taking positive and decisive action. If that would be best served by a face to face meeting between us, then I for one am quite happy to meet with you at your convenience.
Regards

Boy, did you ever pull that one out of the top drawer, I wonder what these people are on? It certainly isn't my planet!

Post Laura Moffatt 
This just received from Laura Moffatt
Dear Mr Law

I have read your email with interest.

I have the file of letters in front of me and I am baffled as to know how I have hindered your campaign and very happy to share them with those who may be interest.

I was told by the press that you said you were prevented from coming to the Veterans Tea because of your campaign

This is simply untrue.

I am very happy to discuss this matter rather than emailing each other.

If you would like a discussion on this matter please contact Denise on Monday in Crawley and we can fix a date.

Yours sincerely
Laura Moffatt
Member of Parliament for Crawley

Just sent this to Ms Moffatt

Laura Moffatt MP

May I respectfully request that you have the interests of 35000 Malaysian Veterans at heart in supporting our cause in the Right to Wear OUR PJM Medal. There are many ex Service Personnel working in and around your Constituency of Crawley including ex Malaysian Veterans at Gatwick Airport.

Rumours have it that you do not have our interests truly at heart, with a majority in Parliament of 37 and should the voting pattern remain the same at the next election to the last one, it would take but 19 voters to swing their votes and you out of office.

Ma'am suggest you come on board and join the growing bandwagon of supporters to see that justice is being done in the FIGHT to WEAR the PJM Medal, go for broke it may be your only chance

John Cooper
Malayan Veteran

Post Laura Moffatt 
John
She has suggested that I contact her Crawley office on Monday to set up a meeting. This I shall do, and I shall present her with a data pack which will include the Rebuttal and other tasty morsels.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next