Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
My MP
Post Re: MY MP 
lvaughan wrote:
I have today just sent an email to David Davies Welsh assembly member and MP for
MONMOUTH seeking his help in the fight for the right to wear the PJM.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to write to your MP, Lyn.

I hope others will follow suit.

Barry

I have also posted the neccesary information and request on the Forces Reunited website.They have kindly organised an on-line poll for all members to vote yeh or ney in support of us.The final result will be published on their forum and I shall let you all know of the level of support.

Stand up & support the British Veterans, its you MPs that stand for democracy it's the service men & women that guarantee it.

I have also posted the neccesary information and request on the Forces Reunited website.They have kindly organised an on-line poll for all members to vote yeh or ney in support of us.The final result will be published on their forum and I shall let you all know of the level of support.

Thanks, Smudger,

Barry

Here is Robert Syms MP for Poole's reply to my e-mail

John, I have added my name to EDM 356 as requested. Kind regards Robert

Thank you Robert

John

Can't send copy of his letter as my scanner is down, but have had reply from my Local Tory MP (David Tredinnick) in reply to my email asking if he would be giving his support to the EDM's, this is his reply -

Thank you for your email of 2nd December regarding the Early Day Motion tabled by Don Touig regardingthe Inter-Departmental Committee on the Grand of Honours, Decorations and Medals not to grant permission for Malaysian veterans to wear the Pingat Malaysia Medal.

It is normal practice not to allow British servicemen to wear medals granted by other countries and I believe that on this occasion this is the right decision.

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful on this occasion.

I believe he makes the same mistake as the HD Committee by saying "It is normal practice not to allow British servicemen to wear medals granted by other countries" - WE are NOT British servicemen, WE are EX British servicemen !

It is normal practice not to allow British servicemen to wear medals granted by other countries and I believe that on this occasion this is the right decision.

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful on this occasion.

I believe he makes the same mistake as the HD Committee by saying "It is normal practice not to allow British servicemen to wear medals granted by other countries" - WE are NOT British servicemen, WE are EX British servicemen !

RCF

Thanks for putting this up, if anyone wants to write to the member (Tory!) for Bosworth his email address is here

tredinnickd@parliament.uk

Was the PKB only awarded to ARMY Personel?

Not the RAF?

Post Email to Mr Tredinnick... 
To: tredinnickd@parliament.uk
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 6:09 AM
Subject: EDM

Dear Mr Tredinncik,

It has come to my attention that you recently responded to a constituent's request for your signature to be applied to EDM's 356 & 375 that, and I quote,

"It is normal practice not to allow British servicemen to wear medals granted by other countries and I believe that on this occasion this is the right decision."

Permit me to point out that your interpretation of the rule as applicable to serving British Soldiers is inaccurate....but to slavishly project the application of that rule onto British Veterans, in this specific case, septuagenarian veterans, who have not worn Her Majesty's uniform for many decades and who are most unlikely to ever do so again...demonstrates an appalling lack of due diligence in formulating an opinion.

Your response to your constituent is dismissive, specious and arbitrary and worst of all, it is totally devoid of foundation or validity...permit me to suggest that you enlighten yourself by having a quick chat with your colleague Michael Ancram regarding his stance and indeed the stance of the Tory Shadow Defence team.

Naturally, my being a Canadian resident, I have no way of expressing my distaste for, or rejection of, such an exhibition of representative indolence at the Polls...but I would suggest to you that, if you are receiving complaints of an international nature, then certainly many of your constituents will become equally well informed as to the quality of your representation of their interests?

I suspect my admonition will not be the only one you receive on this topic.

Respectfully,

John 'Jock' Fenton
328 Hillcroft Street
Oshawa, Ontario
CANADA
http://www.fight4thepjm.org/index.htm

Last edited by 'Jock' Fenton on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Re: Email to Mr Tredinnick... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:

I suspect my admonition will not be the only one you receive on this topic.

I have already done so too, Jock but I have added a Christmas theme to mine

Times are tight, times are hard, so here's your (Little) Christmas Card or words to that effect

Only joking, honest! Wink

Post Re: Email to Mr Tredinnick... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:

Great one, Jock.

Here is my six-pennyworth:

----- Forwarded by Barry Fleming/BAFleming on 22/12/2006 14:33 -----
Barry Fleming/BAFleming
22/12/2006 14:33

Subject: Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) - EDMs

Dear Mr Tredinnick,

I see that your stance on the EDMs and the PJM has attracted considerable interest which is very healthy for our campaign fighting for the right to wear the medal.

Many messages to you will reflect the understandable frustration that British veterans are feeling because of the obfuscation of the civil servants who are involved - the sort of myths that are involved when they brief MPs and the media to the effect that it is not normal for British Servicemen to be allowed to wear Foreign Decorations.

I respect your views, of course, but I think they are based on a misunderstanding. I would like to suggest that you contact again whoever told you that British Servicemen do not normally wear medals issued by Foreign countries. In fact it is common practice. Before going out to finish my Christmas shopping (been busy with this campaign!) I have quickly drawn up this list of fairly recent medals all of which are from Foreign Countries and all of which have been formally accepted for Unrestricted Wear - and could be seen on a British uniform:

Rhodesia Medal
Indian Independence Medal
Pakistan Medal
Ceylon Armed Forces Inauguration Medal
Malawi Independence Medal
Guyanan Independence Medal (Worn by HRH FM Duke of Kent
Fiji Independence Medal
Papua New Guinea Independence Medal
Solomon Islands Independence Medal
Gilbert Islands Independence Medal
Ellis Islands Independence Medal
St Christopher Nevis & Anguilla Independence Medal
Service Medal of the Order of St John of Jerusalem
Belize Defence Force 15th Anniversary Medal
Interfet Medal (Australia) (International Force East Timor)
Nigeria Independence Medal
Kenya Campaign Medal (North Eastern Kenya)
Malay Active Service Medal
Malaysian GSM
Royal Brunei Armed Forces Silver Jubilee Medal
Pingat Laila Tugas Brunei GSM
Unitas Medal - BMATT South Africa
Malta GC 50th Anniversary of the War Medal
Brunei Silver Jubilee Medal
Iraq Active Service Medal
Iraq Floods Medal
Iran Coronation Medal
Vietnam Service Medal
Oman GSM (Dhofar)
As Sumood Medal - Oman
Peace Medal - Operational Emblem Oman
Peace Medal (Oman)
Accession Medal (Oman)
10th Anniversary Day Medal (Oman)
Russian 40th Anniversary of the War 1985
Order of the Special Royal Emblem (Oman)
Glorious 15th National Day Medal (Oman)
Glorious 20th National Day Medal (Oman)
Glorious 25th National Day Medal (Oman)
Glorious 30th National Day Medal (Oman)
Kuwait Military Service Medal (5 years long service, awarded to loan personnel)
Glorious 35th National Day Medal (Oman)

May I just add that the Conservative Party Defence Team and the Conservative Party ex-Foreign Secretary (Rt Hon Sir Malcolm Rifkind) all support our case, as do so many other MPs from all political parties. The PJM has been accepted by the Queen for wear by all Commonwealth countries who fought to protect the newly independent country - but not the British. That can't be right - and I'm delighted to report that the Conservatives are going to sort out the mess that is the current Foreign Decorations Rules.

I very much hope that you will review your stance on our case. It really is a just one. We need your support. The problem is obtaining the facts for you from those civil servants who brief busy MPs.

With kind regards and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year (the 50th Anniversary of Malaysian Independence ... a celebration, of freedom and security, that would not have happened but for PJMers.

Barry
- - - - - - - - - - -
Barry Fleming
Stockbridge Cottage
Inkpen Common
Inkpen
Hungerford
Berks
RG17 9QP

T: 01488 668 100

Fighting for the Right to Wear the PJM at
W: http://www.fight4thePJM.org
E: mailto:barry@fight4thePJM.org
"Pingat Kami - Hak Kami"

BarryF wrote:
Great one, Jock.

Here is my six-pennyworth:

Gee Barry....how I wish I could demonstrate your knowledge of medals...and while I bow to your superiority in that area, no apology is offered for my caustic email to Mr. Tredinnick...I have a simply irresistible urge, to demonstrate my severely irritated sense of fair play, when I witness an elected representative acting like the most northerly aspect of a south bound horse...

Thanks for yourlast reply barry was going to comment on the oman medals because i have the peace medal with a very fine certificate from buck house giving me unrestricted permission to wear it so like all most of our elected representatives he suffers from severe foot and mouth----- opens mouth and puts foot in!!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THIS OPPURTUNITY TO WISH ALL OF THE FIGHTERS OUT THERE AND INDEED OR TENACIOUS COMMITTEE A VERY MERRY XMAS AND A PJM NEW YEAR

ALL THE BEST ROGER SPENCER SPAIN

Post Tredinnick. 
Also sent him an email pointing out his foolishness and shame.

Reply to topic Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next