Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
My MP
Post My MP 
My MP supported our fight for the PJM and now supports our fight to wear it.

Richard Benyon MP
(Newbury Constituency)
6 Cheap Street
Newbury
Berkshire
RG14 5DD

Tel: 01635 551070

benyonr@parliament.uk

Because he supports our cause already, he is receptive only to factual submissions.

If anybody else can supply information about their MP, or any other MP for that matter, please post the details in this section of the Forum.

I think my MP Sir Michael Lord Deputy Speaker of the Commons should come on board, I had this letter this morning from his secretary, I will return a missive to Sir Michael presently

The letter can be viewed here

http://community.webshots.com/album/542043451QHRWkQ

or here for those who are registered with my forum

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=46291&subForumID=167085&action=viewTopic&commentID=5678105&commentPage=10&topicPage=

Keep turning the screw.........

I will return a missive to Sir Michael presently

This is good news, John. I have had a similar request from my own MP.

I'd be very interested to see your missive.

Can we produce a common hymn sheet on which we have listed:

1) Our objectives

2) The reasons given to us why we can’t wear the PJM

3) The reasons why we think we should have that right.

We should be able to keep this on one page - supporting pages can be added if necessary.

Can we all produce our own noddy-notes - I have to do mine for Richard Benyon, and I'll be happy to co-ordinate the drafting of a document (drafts can be sent to me by email).

I’m not suggesting we make a meal of this, but I think that this is a great opportunity to demonstrate exactly what we’re fighting, and what we're fighting for.

This is my reply to my MP Sir Michael Lord

Dear Sir Michael

Thank you for your letter received today regarding the Pingat Jasa Medal, details of which should be situate in the Commons Library, however I enclose all the relevant details below with various quotes including a recently conceived website http://www.fight4thepjm.org of which I am one of the campaigners.

This award is a recognition of 35000 ex servicemen/women who helped free Malayasia from Communist Terrorist Insurgents from 1957 through to 1966. The Agong of Malaysia and his Government has awarded this medal to us, and being proud servicemen/women we wish to receive his offer and WEAR this medal.

However there are those in power that wish to deny us this right, some of our colleagues never returned from this conflict and it is to them that we DEMAND the right that their thoughts are kept uppermost in our minds when marching on Ceremonial Parades such as Remembrance Day and the newly instituted Veterans Day on June 27th each year.

I cannot believe that a group of people have this power to position Her Majesty The Queen in such an embarrassing situation with her own kith and kin who swore allegiance to her and the country in a Commonwealth Nations hour of need. I find also as a UK resident that two fingers have been pointed up from the UK ‘Establishment’ to the King of Malaysia and their proud people.

Sir, make this happen, we need your support, and with others we will overturn this gross injustice

Yours sincerely
John Cooper

PJM
The Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal

http://www.fight4thepjm.org

· Announcement (NZ)
· Announcement (Brit)
· Ministerial Statement
· Cabinet Office Letter
· PJM Application Form
The Pingat Jasa Malaysia
"Pingat Jasa Malaysia" can be translated as "The Malaysian Service Medal". The medal was offered at the end of 2004 to the Commonwealth countries who served Malaysia in her fight against aggression and terrorism. Those Commonwealth countries include Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, the United Kingdom and, never to be forgotten, the Gurkhas.

Foreign and Commonwealth medals have to be accepted by The Queen on the advice of the Government of each Commonwealth country involved where she is head of State. After a short period of consultation the Governments of Australia and New Zealand accepted the medal without restriction for their citizens. The British Government, however, announced in the House of Lords that they would refuse the Malaysian medal for British citizens on the basis that the award was contrary to British Medals Policy.
In early 2005 intensive lobbying commenced to try and reverse that decision and after a few months the Secretary of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) announced that the FCO had submitted a paper to the Committee on the Grants of Honours, Decorations and Medals (known as the HD Committee which advises The Queen on these matters) asking them to review their policy in respect of foreign awards and the PJM.
After several months the HD Committee met on the 7th December 2005 to carry out the review but their recommendation was not announced until a written Ministerial Statement was made in the Commons on the 31st January 2006 - the day after medals were presented in Australia where the Pingat Jasa Malaysia can now be worn with pride.

British HD Committee’s recommendation, however, was that British citizens could accept the medal but they would not be allowed to wear it. This astonishing situation means that The Queen has granted a wearable medal to her Australian and New Zealand citizens, but has refused the right to wear the PJM to her British citizens.

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=28295&SESSION=875

Post My M.P. 
Unfortunately my M.P. is Mark Oaten....who is keeping his head down at the moment, but I do have a friend in the House of Lords by the name of Lord Chidgey of Hamble-Le-Rice, who has promised his full support. in our "Fight for the Right".
Terry Revell ex R.N. Communicator Borneo and Brunei 1964 -1965

Post Re: My M.P. 
revellt wrote:
Unfortunately my M.P. is Mark Oaten....who is keeping his head down at the moment

First, I second (if that makes sense, which it should not do after my couple of beers at Happy Hour with my son-in-law) George's welcome, Terry. We're delighted to have you 'on board', so to speak (to an ex-RN).

Second, for those down under who are not aware, Mark Oaten has a 'political' issue to deal with over here at the moment which has nothing to do with the PJM.

It's good news about the peer who is willing to give us a fair crack of the whip. Barry

Post Keep At 'Em! 
Sometimes we can get a bit fed up as we slog away at our lobbying, particularly when we get a few rejection slips en route.

And so I have published a page about our indefatigable lobbyist, George no-relation Fleming.

I think the story is an inspiration to us all. I hope you do too. You can read it in The Lobby section, Keep at 'Em!

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/lobby_keep_at_em.htm

Barry

I think my MP Sir Michael Lord Deputy Speaker of the Commons should come on board, I had this letter this morning from his secretary, I will return a missive to Sir Michael presently

The letter can be viewed here

http://community.webshots.com/album/542043451QHRWkQ

or here for those who are registered with my forum

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=46291&subForumID=167085&action=viewTopic&commentID=5678105&commentPage=10&topicPage=

Keep turning the screw.........

A second letter just received from my MP Sir Michael Lord " I will, as promised, now take the matter up with the appropriate Minister and as soon as I have a response I will be in touch again"

I referred your site to him Barry so I hope these people are reading what we are saying

A second letter just received from my MP Sir Michael Lord " I will, as promised, now take the matter up with the appropriate Minister and as soon as I have a response I will be in touch again"

John, This is a brilliant result ... your persevance has paid off. I'm sure others will derive inspiration from this success.

So, come on everyone, let's follow this example and head for our quills. You MP is waiting to hear from you.

Post UKIP MEPs 
Today I received an email stating that ALL UKIP MEPs support us and want to know who they can write to.

Post Re: UKIP MEPs 
Paul Alders wrote:
Today I received an email stating that ALL UKIP MEPs support us and want to know who they can write to.

Great stuff, Paul. All support is welcome from all 'respectable' sources. The European angle could become a major issue if we do not receive a favourable outcome, so this really is important.

As to who to write to, the names are all on the Lobby page:

1. Can you download the HD Committee Mmembers Addresses (there is a downloadable text document on the page) from:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/lobby_hd_addresses.htm

2. Then there are the Key MP Addresses at:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/lobby_mp_3.htm

3. They will have web sites - can you send them our logo and accompanying explanatory text so they put link to us on their site. The image and text doc is at:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/lobby_spreadthepjmlogo.htm

If you're stuck for time, Paul, I'll try and give you a hand.

Many thanks,

Barry

... may indeed impress upon more of our own MPs to start a new Early Day motion ... George F

Absolutely. And for those who haven't emailed their MP, why not look up their email address on the http://www.fight4thepjm.org/lobby_mp.htm page and send a brief message along the line of the one I sent today to my MP - and set up a meeting at his local office:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear [Richard],

Support continues to grow for the PJM Fight4theRight campaign and we have produced a one-page leaflet summarising the main points in our case. I enclose a copy herewith and look forward to hearing your comments.

I would very much like to arrange a meeting to discuss this issue and shall telephone your [Newbury] office to make arrangements.

Thank you for your ongoing support.

With kind regards.

Barry

Enc: http://www.fight4thepjm.org/whatwesay_cut_to_the_chase.htm
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Total time taken less than five minutes. But the effect, if we all do it, will be beyond belief. Go on ... you can do it!

Post Politics 
We are not a political party but when it comes to elections should we not just this once put aside how each of us would normaly vote and vote for the candidates that support us.
I don't think we can do much about the local elections but lets get ready for the main bout.
I know it's a long way off but this will let the powers to be know we are not going away.There 35,000 votes out there plus freinds and family also the current members of our Forces. Together as one voice we can and will win.
We need posters in all British Leagon & ex Forces Clubs.
So if someone out there has the skill to design a A4 poster that we can all download onto our PCs we can print them off and deliver them by hand to our local clubs, newspapers etc, this way we can create merry hell.

Post Re: Politics 
Paul Alders wrote:
So if someone out there has the skill to design a A4 poster that we can all download onto our PCs we can print them off and deliver them by hand to our local clubs, newspapers etc, this way we can create merry hell.

Paul, I'm working on a revamp of our PJM Info Sheet. http://www.fight4thepjm.org/whatwesay_cut_to_the_chase.htm

I knocked that one up in haste - the next one will, I hope, be something that the RBL and regimental associations will want to pin up or circulate. Barry

Reply to topic Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next