Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Anger over ‘temporary permission’ to wear medal
Post Anger over ‘temporary permission’ to wear medals 
Anger over ‘temporary permission’ to wear medals
IAN BRUCE, Defence Correspondent August 16 2007
Comment

Scottish veterans who have been denied the right to wear medals they won fighting a bitter jungle war against communist insurgents reacted angrily yesterday to the news they have finally been granted "temporary permission" to display the awards.

The veterans, who fought in the 1950s and 60s, can only wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal for 25 days - and only if it is worn on Malaysian soil as part of that country's celebration of 50 years of independence later this month.

Even then, the old soldiers who spent two years of their lives in some of the most inhospitable terrain on Earth to underpin that independence have been told that the PJM decorations will immediately become banned again after those few days' grace.
advertisement

It means the awards from a grateful Malaysian government still cannot be worn at Remembrance parades or other military functions in the UK.

The veterans have been fighting for two years for the right to include the PJM with their other medals, but have been told that "foreign" awards are unacceptable and that a British general service medal is available for those who fought in Malaya. Some have even been considering suing the Cabinet Office for "maladministration".

Now Tanya Collingridge, honours' secretary at the Foreign Office, has announced that the PJM may be worn by old soldiers travelling to Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysian capital, for the independence celebrations. Campaigners representing the eligible 35,000 former UK soldiers, sailors and airmen - including an estimated 5000 Scots - say a handful of unelected civil servants are denying them an honour they earned against the communists.

Despite a 1968 ruling by the Queen that orders, decorations and medals conferred on UK citizens by Commonwealth countries could be worn "without restriction", the Cabinet Office's seven-member honours and decorations committee has spent much of the past two years obstructing the process.

The committee finally ruled in 2006 that eligible veterans, most now in their 70s, could receive the PJM medals, but not wear them publicly.

Yet last year the government granted permission for the award and wearing of medals for the 1956 Suez campaign and allowed Russian medals to be pinned on British survivors of the 1940s Murmansk convoys.

The Malayan "emergency" was never raised to the status of a war because that would have rendered void insurance on British-owned rubber plantations and railways, both insurgent economic targets. It was a full-blown guerrilla war waged by ethnic Chinese Communist guerrillas against British and Commonwealth forces for more than a decade.

A total of 519 British troops were killed, including 95 Scots, in more than 10 years of ambushes and patrol actions in jungles, mountains and swamps. Thousands more were wounded or fell sick.

The Malaysian government offered to supply the campaign medals at its own expense in 2005 to honour the Commonwealth troops who defended its existence and sovereignty.

The governments of Australia, New Zealand and Fiji all accepted the offer and their Malaya veterans can now wear the PJM alongside their other decorations.

A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: "Her majesty's government's rules preclude the wearing of foreign medals for events in the distant past or for events more than five years previously."

Andrew Nicoll, one of the leading Scottish campaigners, said: "The unaccountable honours and decorations committee seems to be making up the rules as it goes along. Its members have already contradicted their own regulations several times. The bottom line is that this medal was fought for and earned with the blood of young British soldiers, many of them National Service conscripts. The committee is treating their memory with contempt. It is also insulting the Malaysian government's generosity."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.1620837.0.0.php

YIP GOOD BRIEF,ALL THERE ,FACT FACT FACT,ONLY THING MISSING,SURE I AIN'T ALONE ,IS MY CONTEMPT FOR THOSE WHO MADE THEIR FLAWED DECISION,WHO EVEN NOW THINK THEY CAN ORDER/ALLOW IT TO BE WORN FOR 25 DAYS PROVIDING ITS ON MALAYIAN SOIL! SO ITS BOLLO*KS AND BUGALOO,I'LL WEAR MY PJM AS AND WHEN I SEE FIT,SO EASY IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE H.D.C'MTEE AS MUCH AS THEY DO ABOUT YOU.

ONLY THING MISSING,SURE I AIN'T ALONE ,IS MY CONTEMPT FOR THOSE WHO MADE THEIR FLAWED DECISION,WHO EVEN NOW THINK THEY CAN ORDER/ALLOW IT TO BE WORN FOR 25 DAYS PROVIDING ITS ON MALAYIAN SOIL! SO ITS BOLLO*KS AND BUGALOO,I'LL WEAR MY PJM AS AND WHEN I SEE FIT,SO EASY IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE H.D.C'MTEE AS MUCH AS THEY DO ABOUT YOU.

Pete,

I have psoted this on The Herald web site:

"Ian Bruce's excellent article highlights the unacceptable face of Westminster bureauprats showing utter contempt for British veterans (the FCO failed to mention the wearable medals they're awarding civil servants for doing absolutely nothing 25 years ago). This Government's attitude in London, previously applied when they disbanded the Scottish Regiments, beggars belief. It will surely cost them votes in the forthcoming elections. I suspect that tens of thousands of British ex-servicemen and women, and those currently in the services, as well as our supporters in the Royal British Legion and in service organisations, will vote with their feet. Unless they have the courage to question what is going on, HMG will reap the harvest sown by their bigotted and imperialist Whitehall civil service masters."

A few PJMers who can travel to Malaysia wear the PJM for 25 days.

Sir Robin Janvrin can wear his 'medal' antyime he wishes for doing nothing 25 years ago.

Barry

PS Note the absence of the double medal excuse when the FCO tries to explain their callous behaviour. FCO quoted the 5-year rule to Ian (despite Sir Robin's 25th Anniversary Antigua and Barbuda Medal) - but when journalists ask the MoD for their version, they are quoted the Double Medal Rule (despite most PJMers not having a British Medal). And therein lies the PJM's problem. Two Government Departments with quite different agendas with the honourable PJM paying the price of their conflicting incompetence and their inappropriate internecine war - a problem that we highlighted in our first Rebuttal in June 2006 ... but we never received a reply.

In that Rebuttal, we also stated that the 5-year 'device' is only used to deny ordinary men and women while it is invariably disregarded in respect of the privileged elite. My thanks go to Sir Sir Sir Robin Janvrin for providing a classic example that corrobortates our point.

Post Comments to Herald 
Twisted Evil

My contrubution!

Posted by: David Dilley, Northampton on 9:46am today
Yes, we can wear our PJMs - mine is already mounted - vide the London Gazette (5057) dated 3rd May 1968 and the Regulations (2006 DIN 10 002 Jan 2006) for wearing medals after leaving the service. However, it is a matter of OUR principle that we fight on until the Civil Servants in the FCO Honours, Cabinet Office Ceremonial Officer and MOD DS Sec. Ceremonial relent, in particular MOD DS Sec who, vis-a-vis Veterans, have quite a reputation over the years for obstructing, unsuccessfully, the 1952 Suez Medal, the Arctic Medal, which eventually became a badge and now, of course the PJM. They use the Veterans UK website to perpetuate the myths and their ad hoc rules seemingly applied for the occasion and when one lot of bogus rules prove ineffective they invent another lot. The campaigning website fight4thepjm.org is packed with incidences of changes, e.g. having rebutted their 5 year/ distant past rules, a new rule 'Servants of the Crown' was introduced which told us that although we are retired, we are still 'Crown Servants' and so it goes on; this rule misquoted from now replaced 1969 rules goes totally against the enabling rule given in the JSPs, para.21.(incidentally an MOD regulation!). If I am still a Crown Servant, can I have a Golden Jubilee Medal please - well qualified over the required period! Ta!

(I've "put it together" ie incidentall.....................y and MOD regulation!)

'Well done' boys....and 'Well done' Ian Bruce of the Herald too!....it's still not too late to add your opinions to the Herald article....the more the merrier...

Last edited by StanW on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Some Brits got the GSM with Vietnam clasp; names and unit withheld.
I have the name of one of them. He has since died and his partner lives in the USA.

Last edited by StanW on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Please access the following link and read 'Comment #26'.....you won't be sorry!

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.1620837.0.0.php

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1