Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Another broadcast on Thursday 15th February!
Post Another broadcast on Thursday 15th February! 
As you know, this morning's (14th Feb) airing of the PJM issue has been moved to tomorrow.

I understand that they have been inundated with messages from around the world but also wish to assess the level of support from those not eligible for the PJM. That is one of the main purposes of tomorrow's (Thursday 15th Feb) show.

So we are now trying to encourage non-PJMers to listen in - and phone in, or email in, or text in ....

Next Action

The level of support being expressed via the Julian Clegg Show on Radio Solent was so stunning that, if it continues (keep sending those emails, texts and phone calls .. today, tomorrow, and whenever you can) we understand that the BBC reporter, Jo Palmer, will take a 'Petition' which records listeners' concerns and support to Margaret Beckett at the Foreign Office and to the Cabinet Office.

If you support this just case, please send an email to Jo Palmer at BBC Radio Solent: j.palmer@bbc.co.uk

Cc: julianclegg@bbc.co.uk

Please copy us in at: beeb@fight4thepjm.org

You can telephone 0845 30 30 961. Any difficulties from abroad - I think it is 0044 845 30 30 961 - callers should telephone the BBC Radio Solent switchboard at 0044 2380 631311. From Australia: 0011-44-845-303-0961 or the switchboard at 0044 2380 631311.

Or you can Text: 07786 200 961

Or write: Jo Palmer, c/o Julian Clegg Show, Broadcasting House, Havelock Road, Southampton SO14 7PW.

Thank you for your support,

The Fight4thePJM Team

For those who missed the 14th Feb broadcast, go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1187

A friend has put this into print to Julian/Jo, name and address supplied

j.palmer@bbc.co.uk
CC: julianclegg@bbc.co.uk
Subject: PJM
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:43:30 -0000

I served in Singapore in 1957 at RAF Changi but do not qualify for the above medal due to leaving Singapore before reaching the required period.

However I do feel all those veterans who do qualify should be allowed to wear the said medal with pride on any occasion. After all I should think the King of Malaya who issued the medal intended it to be worn with pride and as a thank you to those who have or will be getting it.

In my humble opinion it is a slap in the face of the Malayan Government to stop recipients in the UK but permit other commonwealth veterans to wear it with no restrictions. In disgust I remain,
your sincerely

j.palmer@bbc.co.uk
CC: julianclegg@bbc.co.uk
Subject: PJM
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:43:30 -0000

I served in Singapore in 1957 at RAF Changi but do not qualify for the above medal due to leaving Singapore before reaching the required period.

However I do feel all those veterans who do qualify should be allowed to wear the said medal with pride on any occasion. After all I should think the King of Malaya who issued the medal intended it to be worn with pride and as a thank you to those who have or will be getting it.

In my humble opinion it is a slap in the face of the Malayan Government to stop recipients in the UK but permit other commonwealth veterans to wear it with no restrictions. In disgust I remain,
your sincerely

John,

Please thank your friend from all of us. What a wonderfully unselfish message.

Barry

John Cooper wrote:

.....Your friend is ' a classy guy' John!....

Hi Deeps, welcome to the forum and thanks for the post about Halton, were you there for the ceremony, it is an old stamping ground of mine

Anything you need help with please let us know

JohnC

Hi John,

Having read and studied many posts the MOD want to distance themselves from the PJM medal yet some ministers and civil servants from the cabinet office have openly stated in letters telling veterans they can wear the PJM as they are not policed.

But what if some of the recipients decide to wear the PJM medal on MOD property at this presentation, after all is RAF Halton not policed?

That is a very interesting observation Deeps, MoD property indeed! I wonder what Lord Rothchilds would have thought of the Officers Mess being used to present 'foreign awards' too?

JohnC

Post RAF Halton Presentation 
Deeps reference to RAF Halton PJM presentation.

It can only be guesswork, but I would think it unlikely that MOD would have
given permission for the presentation to be held military property notwithstanding
it could well be a different department involved. My guess is that it was arranged
between the organisers of the event, the County Council and the Commanding Officer of
RAF Halton in light of the many, many years friendship between the County and
the RAF Station. It will now be interesting to see what develops between those who
are responsible for the use of military property by civilians (there is, of course the matter
of insurance) and CS S who sponsored the outrageous item on the Veterans
Agency – mind you it might be the property Dept who gave the OK!

Post The courtesies of life 
I don't think we need be concerned about MoD locations - nor about the attitude of the MoD - in connection with presentations of the PJM. The Queen has approved the PJM and has given her permission for the Malaysian medal, awarded by the King and Government of Malaysia, to be presented to British citizens. To refer to the medal, or the medal presentations, in the context of something being not quite respectable are themselves a discourtesy to both The Queen and also to the King and people of Malaysia. I'm not suggesting, of course, that anyone has done that!

I don't think the location of presentations is an issue. The important point is that those eligible for the PJM receive the medal they have earned as soon as possible - wherever the presentation location. The MoD, FCO and Cabinet Office would, I have little doubt, endorse that view.

The MoD officially does not have a view about the PJM. In fact, they have no role to play in the adminsitration of the medal. It is a Foreign Office responsibility.

There is only one issue for this web site's campaign. Formal permission for the PJM to be worn is being withheld. Our aim is to present a coherent and relevant case to those who can change that situation.

Post Presentation at RAF Halton. 
Dear Barry and Veterans,

Thank you Barry for your very astute comment on the RAF Halton presentation.

Some day ago I posted a comment on your site. I believed the comment was constructive and not designed to offend. Amongst other points I made was the advice that you should conduct your very just campaign in a dignified and inoffensive manner. Of course I suffered the usual slings and arrows from some members for my views.

The posts concerning the PJM presentation at RAF Halton are a classic example of what I meant. These inexcusable and totally unconstructive posts may well get some person at RAF Halton a rocket if he did not obtain high level approval for the event, it may well put off other MOD Units from offering assistance in the future and as Barry so very tactfully put it; it is offensive to Her Majesty The Queen and the Commanding Officer of RAF Halton by linking the presentation with matters political and rule flouting.

By the way Deeps your tone and style of writing is very, very familiar, are you by any chance a Submariner or a former Royal Navy chap? If so you should call yourself Jack or even George rather than the strange name of Deeps!

Kind regards to you all and best of luck with your very just cause. NB Remember tact and diplomacy should be your watchword.

Faugh a Ballagh

Post The Policing Thing. 
It is not a question of 'the wearing of the PJM will not be policed', this cannot be policed as British Civilians are breaking no laws if they wear their PJM so you cannot police something that cannot be policed.

Many will not wear their medal as to do so is a grave discourtesy to Her Majesty the Queen so they are not disaffected as some point out.

It seems that someone has a touch of the establishment disease, a highly infectious condition caught from close proximity with others in the civil administration of our country. It affects the brain and makes them jump and comply with establishhment orders whenever a whip is cracked.

I believe our fight4 is about the non-wearing rule imposed on the PJM and that personal views on the presentations of medals should be addressed to the people concerned as the fight4thepjm has nothing to do with the organising of PJM presentations.

I personally am against the breach of my basic human rights and breach of my democractic rights by unelected persons in high administrative positions making illegal rules against British civilians and having the audacity to believe that they can do so, and that can be policed.

Post Re: Presentation at RAF Halton. 
Tom wrote:
Some day ago I posted a comment on your site. I believed the comment was constructive and not designed to offend. Amongst other points I made was the advice that you should conduct your very just campaign in a dignified and inoffensive manner. Of course I suffered the usual slings and arrows from some members for my views.

Hi Tom,

Welcome back. No - your comments did not offend. But one correspondent was clearly identified and so one section became 'personal'. We have no alternative but to ask such sections to be amended. We have done this where a section of a post is too political or potentially embarrassing to The Queen.

My basic point about some recent posts is that they could cause embarrassment to the Queen and to the King, Government, and people of Malaysia.

1. The PJM was indirectly linked to 'Bling'. The PJM has nothing to do with Bling because the medal has been authorised by The Queen. The Editor of Soldier Magazine, following an article on the subject, has specifically confirmed that his view is also that the PJM is not Bling.

2. The PJM was linked to judgements about British Campaign Medals and Risk and Rigour. The PJM is a Foreign Commemorative Service Medal and the MoD have confirmed that Risk and Rigour was not an issue when the Malaysian request was submitted, and must not be considered an issue when determining the medal's validity.

Personally, I shall not wear the PJM until I have the Queen's approval.

Personally, I think this web site and the totality of contributions to the Forum section produce a dignified and effective campaign shop window. I think correspondents who make this Forum can be proud of what they have achieved.

I take your point about posts that undermine the position of our Queen, our serving Armed Forces, and our veterans.

Back to the campaign ...

All the best,

Barry

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1