Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Derek Twigg Veterans Minister
Post Derek Twigg Veterans Minister 
To The Veterans Minister The Rt Hon Derek Twigg MP
(cc to my MP Mr G Robinson)

Derek,
I understand that you started your working life as a Civil Servant and that you have an interest in Military History, this being the case I would like to bring to your attention two Military Campaigns and one Civil Campaign.
The two Military Campaigns are the Emergency and the Confrontation.
The Civil Campaign is being fought by the Veterans of these Military Campaigns against our own HD Committee.

In 2004 the King of Malaysia awarded ALL Commonwealth Troops that defended Malaysia the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal (PJM),
Because of misinformation Great Britain is the ONLY Commonwealth Country to advise HM the Queen to not allow 35,000 British Veterans to wear this Honourable Medal.
Tom Watson is backing the campaign to allow the Veterans to wear the PJM, I am asking you to do the same. To help you come to the same conclusion as Tom Watson and many other MPs may I draw your attention to the Petition to HM the Queen and the Rebuttal plus the Rebuttal update which should be on its way to you. Please find time to read it you will see that we have a just and rightful case to wear the PJM in our ageing years.

I thank you for your time in what must be a very busy period and look forward to your personal reply.
Kind Regards
Paul Alders
Fight4thepjm
Pingat Kami - Hak Kami

Derek Twigg holds regular advice surgeries on:

2nd Friday of the month at Upton Community Centre, Hough Green, between 1.30pm and 2.30pm

4th Friday of the month at the Halton Direct Link, Brook Street, Widnes, between 5.30pm and 7.00pm

The Saturday following the 4th Friday at Hale Village Hall between 9.30am and 10.00am

The Saturday following the 4th Friday at the Tourist Information Centre, Church Street, Runcorn, between 10.30am and 12noon.

No appointment is needed, but please bring any relevant documents with you.

Alternatively you can write to Derek at:

Derek Twigg MP
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA

Phone: 0151 424 7030
Fax: 0151 495 3800

Or email Derek (please remember to include your full postal address when emailing).

twiggd@parliament.uk

Post From Oz, Hamish nudges Derek Twigg, Veterans Minister 
The following email letter was sent yesterday (by Hamish Waters - he's given his OK for it to be posted here):

Subject:
Pingat Jasa Malaysia
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:44:44 +1100
HW <hamish.w@optushome.com.au>
To:
"Twigg MP, Derek" <twiggd@parliament.uk>
CC:
"Ian.Keith798" <Ian.Keith798@mod.uk>,
"Beckett MP, Margaret Beckett MP" <Sosfa-action@fco.gov.uk>,
"Brennan, Denis" <denis.brennan@cabinet-office.x.gsi.gov.uk>,
Lord Triesman <ps-triesmanallstaff@fco.gov.uk>,
"McCartney MP, Ian" <ministerfortrade@fco.gov.uk>,
"Ricketts, Sir Peter" <peter.ricketts@fco.gov.uk>, "michael.jay" <michael.jay@fco.gov.uk>,
Ministers <Ministers@mod.uk>, "Collingridge, Tanya" <Tanya.Collingridge@fco.gov.uk>

Mr Derek Twigg
Minister for Veterans
House Of Commons
London SW1
United Kingdom

17th December 2006

Dear Mr Twigg

Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM)-

I understand from other veterans that the current restriction on the wearing of the PJM is being reconsidered. I am saddened that we have treated an award by a Commonwealth ally in such a fashion. There is a genuine warmth shown towards veterans by the Malaysian people and I know that this issue has upset many in Malaysia quite apart from the veterans themselves.

Perhaps the way foreign decorations are considered and accepted could be updated to the 21st century not the 19th century since I find it hard to believe that it takes a committee of grown men so long to determine what the issues are and the correct course of action to take. For your edification and benefit I attach a paper showing the procedures that the Australian Government take in considering a foreign award. Just think the FCO if it followed this enlightened procedure could probably do away with the HD committee altogether.

Flawed advice has been provided by civil servants to Ministers. Firstly double meddling was never an issue since over half of those eligible for the PJM never received a British medal, moreover the scope of the PJM was quite different from the British GSM. Secondly the policy on the acceptance of foreign medals has been inconsistent. The Russian 40th and the Malta 50th Anniversary medals were accepted and members of the British Royal family both young and old sport New Zealand medals. Is the Malaysian medal somehow considered second class. What an insult to the King and people of Malaysia.

As someone with dual British Australian citizenship I can wear my PJM on ANZAC day parades next to my British GSM with the blessing of The Queen of Australia. I have been told however by the mandarins in Whitehall that I would be discourteous to the Queen of England if I wore the same medal in the UK. This sounds like good material for "Yes Minister". Sir Humpfrey is obviously alive and well in the corridors of power. Please put an end to this farcical situation.

I sincerely hope that veterans will receive news shortly that there are no longer restrictions on wearing the Pingat Jasa Malaysia. I like many other veterans hope HMG does the right thing so that we can get on with our lives without having to write to parliamentarians and civil servants. By now you will have appreciated the fortitude and determination veterans have on this matter. You can see there is cross party support on this issue by virtue of EDM 356 and EDM 375. Two members of the House of Lords are recipients or are eligible to
receive the PJM, namely Field Marshal Lord Bramall and Lord Astor. Lord Bramall has already stated in public that he will wear the PJM.

We will fight for our cause till our last breath if necessary.

I look forward to your news on this matter.

Yours sincerely

Hamish Waters
Borneo Veteran, British Army

http://www.fight4thepjm.org

Ps. I would be grateful if you could pass a copy of this email to the Foreign secretary

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1