Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
The PJM arrives in Bolton
Post The PJM arrives in Bolton 
Dennis Birchall, a staunch supporter of this campaign, sent in this clip from his local newspaper.

He said "I was at my local war memorial ... the same one where Ruth Kelly MP was laying a wreath"

Read this excellent article - and, yes Dennis, we all hope you can wear your PJM next year ... with formal permission from The Queen.

The Bolton Evening News has done Dennis and us proud.

Let's respond in kind and send them some messages to thank them for their interest in Remembrance Day and in the PJM - and why not take the opportunity to spread the word on this campaign.

Go to http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/.

Or write to the editor: csudlow@theboltonnews.co.uk

Thanks,

Barry

Congratulations on receiving your PJM and contacting the Newspaper

Same newspaper has another article here but from 6 months ago

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/search/display.var.740612.0.do_you_qualify_for_malaysian_medal.php

I am now writing to the Editor

Post Letter to the Editor 
On it's way.....

Post Bolton PJM 
Here's my offering
I was most pleased to see your article concerning the arrival of the first PJM in Bolton. I am the Press Officer for the campaign that is fighting to have the ridiculous ban on wearing the medal reversed. Details of our Campaign can be found on www.fight4thepjm.org In our efforts to get some sense out of the not so Civil Servants who run this land, we have been met with half truths and obfuscation on a grand scale.
The crazy thing is that although they say we cannot wear the medal, they are powerless to prevent us from so doing. So why do they try to invoke a "rule" that is not enforceable? We are also told that to allow the medal to be worn would "compromise the integrity of the Honours System". This is the same system that, allegedly, can get one a peerage for a cash lump sum to the party in power.
The Australian and New Zealand veterans have been given permission to accept and wear the medal by HM the Queen. We are told by Whitehall that HM the Queen (the same one for all three nations) signed the document that prevents, or tries to prevent, Her British subjects for accepting the same honour as their Commonwealth comrades in arms.
Last weekend saw the latest stage in this Whitehall farce when several veterans from New Zealand attended the opening of the new memorial in Hyde Park. They were able to wear their PJM's without let or hindrance. Any British veteran attending the Cenotaph parade on Sunday contravened the "rule" if he wore his medal.
The British public needs to made aware of the cavalier manner in which our veterans are being treated. Politicians of all persuasions make all the noises about our Service personnel and how we should be proud of the service given by them in past conflicts. But when it comes down to it, they are only using the words as a way of gaining favour amongst the Electorate. With a few exceptions, they have as little interest in Veterans affairs as I have of being Queen of the May next year.
Regards

Post Re: Bolton PJM 
GerryL wrote:
..............With a few exceptions, they have as little interest in Veterans affairs as I have of being Queen of the May next year.
Regards

Gerry

Well said in the rest of the letter, God I hope, for your sake the MoD don't take the Veterans to heart otherwise we will be waiting for you! Very Happy

Post This is Lancashire 
And also from here.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/headlines/display.var.1020865.0.dennis_awarded_medal_from_malaysia.php

Dennis awarded medal from Malaysia
By Deborah Linton

A WAR veteran has become the first man in Bolton to be awarded a prestigious medal for services abroad.

Dennis Birchall, aged 65, served as a Lance Corporal with the British army in Malaysia for three years.

He was sent to the Far East in 1962 and was among thousands of British servicemen who fought for Malaysia against Indonesia in the war over Borneo.

This week, he became the town's first ex-serviceman to be awarded the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (Service to Malaysia) medal by the Malaysian government.

The silver medal was sent from the Malaysian embassy in London and carries a blue, red and yellow ribbon to represent the state's flag.

The accompanying letter read: "In appreciation of the meritorious acts and supreme sacrifices made by the security forces and civilian staff from Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Nepal, to Malaysia.

"The supreme head of the federation of Malaysia awards medals to all those who distinguished themselves in chivalry, gallantry and loyalty, while performing their services."

The medal is available to all British servicemen who fought in the conflict. So far, there have been 8,000 applications for the medals and 50 have been sent out in Britain.

Mr Birchall, who is a retired printer's assistant and lives in The Crescent, Westhoughton, with his wife Mary, said: "I'm very proud and honoured. It is particularly special to be recognised by the country that I fought to help."

Veterans are currently fighting a decision by the Government's Honours and Decorations Committee which forbids them from wearing foreign awards.

Mr Birchall, a member of the National Malayan and Borneo Veterans Association, said: "I was upset not to be able to wear it on Remembrance Day, but hopefully I will be able to next year."

By writing to newspapers regarding the PJM issue, feedback is obtained from those NOT connected to the internet, therefore they probably do not know of the PJMs existance. Of the letters I have had published I have had 6 replies now, another today from Bolton regarding the letter above.

The least I can do is to send an application off in the post.

Please spread the word to our 'not to be forgotten' colleagues, they need your help Smile , they will not get it from our Government Evil or Very Mad

The least I can do is to send an application off in the post.

Please spread the word to our 'not to be forgotten' colleagues, they need your help Smile , they will not get it from our Government Evil or Very Mad

Thanks John.

We who surf the internet are fortunate and any help we can give others will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your continuing support - and for the help you give to others.

Barry

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1