Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Focus your Writing on those with INFLUENCE!
Post Focus your Writing on those with INFLUENCE! 
We have created a critical mass of lobbying and now need to focus intently on writing to or emailing those who can bring pressure to bear on the HD Committee to review their recommendation to the Queen.

1. Write to your MP (and ask him/her to write to the Foreign Minister). This is critical - all letters to MPs will have an impact.

2. Write to the Foreign Secretary - her Department has overall responsibility for the PJM.

3. Write to Mr Denis Brennan at the Cabinet Office because it is his office that organises the HD Committee and he is also a member of the HD Committee.

4. Write to the Prime Minister. If he doesn’t deal with your letter, it will be passed on.

5. Write to the Defence Minister - he can bring pressure to bear for an HD Committee re-think.

6. Write to the Veterans Minister. He is a Minister in the MOD. Gently remind him that his predecessor was about to write to the HD Committee making the case for the PJM to be worn.

7. Write to the Queen. It is she who was handed the crappy end of the sceptre and instructed to withhold permission for us to wear the PJM.

That list is not exhaustive, but it’s a start and contains the critical focal points.

Tips:

• We’ll post the addresses for you here as soon as we can.

• Keep letters short - if you have two things to say, write two letters.

• Refer to the critical mass of public opinion.

• Refer to the ever-growing reasons given to the HD Committee or Ministers by you and us which we do not think the HD Committee had access to at their meeting on the 7th December 2005.

• They will be looking for new issues that were not previously considered.

• Above all - no personal aggro and no invective. These addressees are only interested in facts.

Barry

Post Re: Focus your Writing on those with INFLUENCE! 
BarryF wrote:
We have created a critical mass of lobbying and now need to focus intently on writing to or emailing those who can bring pressure to bear on the HD Committee to review their recommendation to the Queen.

Paul Alders has said I can post this letter from the MoD to him.

PLEASE NOTE that final paragraph. We're being given a kindly nod and a wink.

So let's get writing to Des Browne:

Rt Hon Des Browne MP
Secretary of State for Defence
Horseguards Avenue
Whitehall
London SW1A 2HB

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/coney_to_paulalders.jpg

Post Richard Coney 
George F wrote:
Thanks Paul & Barry, looks like Mr Coney and the MOD are begining to mellow. Up to now its been pass the parcel to the FCO. Maybe now they are beginning to realise by giving veterans the right to wear the PJM gives their ministers and civil servants an easier life.

George, Richard Coney (MoD civil servant with medals responsibilities) is under pressure and as you know he has gently complained (he's not made a fuss in our terms) about the amount of irrelevant emails and letters he receives - messages he cannot help with with. Here is my last word on his problems:

Barry Fleming/BAFleming
16/05/2006 11:45

To "Coney, Richard Mr" <Richard.Coney506@mod.uk>

Subject RE: PJM - Eligibility Terms Offered by Malaysia

Richard,

Paul Alders has sent me a copy of your latest email to him regarding your weekend workload and copy emails from George "No Relation" Fleming and others.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time contacting everyone to the effect that my advice is that they should not write to you unless it is a question that you can answer such as one relating to info on medals - nor is it a good idea to copy you in to emails to other addressees.

I have also set out for everybody the key people outside (in addition to inside!) the MoD whom we need to focus on and to write to (FCO, Cabinet Office etc).

I cannot tell these good people what to do, but I have had responses back to the effect that people understand the problem and will focus on addressees who can influence a review of the PJM.

Clearly they must continue to write to whomsoever they consider appropriate in your Department, including the MoD Ministers and the MoD HD representatives. Unhappily, many of those letters will land up on your desk, but that is the MoD system and we can do nothing about it. It was not we who made the mistake of enrolling the MoD to an unnecessary extent in an FCO matter - but perhaps it was the MoD who inveigled their way in to ensure that the honourable PJM would receive a 'keepsake' recommendation (using specious and misleading double-medalling objections) because it didn't want to have to provide individual proof of service if the PJM received unrestricted acceptance. If that was the case, then the MoD deserves everything it gets.

I have one thing to add. You mention that the MoD has no part to play in the overall scheme of things vis-a-vis the PJM. It was not helpful, therefore, when the MoD Medal Office sent out a standard response (with relevant info, I accept) with a spiteful footnote underlining that while the applicant may be going to a lot of trouble to get his or her medal (or their next of kin's) the PJM should not be worn ... ("So there!" it the writer could have added). It was seen (rightly in my view) as the MoD not being able to resist another opportunity to poke ex-servicemen and women in the eye. Whilst washing their hands of this non-medal souvenir in the letter's first line, and in an impersonal letter that was about application procedures not dress code, the MoD stepped beyond their area of responsibility and wasted no time in ensuring that the applicants were reminded that they are to get no joy from the medal they earned. Can you imagine how a widow would feel when receiving such a letter. That footnote was unnecessary and simply underlines the MoD attitude to us. For those reasons, I have little sympathy for the MoD position and am encouraging people to concentrate on the 3-R's - write, write, and write. But I do have an understanding of your workload and its effect on your family and I am trying to be helpful in that respect and in that respect alone.

Thank you for all the help you are giving the PJMers. We understand the limitations within which you work, but are grateful nevertheless.

With best wishes,

Barry

- - - - - - - - - - -
Barry Fleming
Fighting for the Right
to Wear the PJM
http://www.fight4thePJM.org

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/MOD_PJM_letter.jpg

Post Re: Richard Coney 
BarryF wrote:
Clearly they must continue to write to whomsoever they consider appropriate in your Department, including the MoD Ministers and the MoD HD representatives. Unhappily, many of those letters will land up on your desk, but that is the MoD system and we can do nothing about it. It was not we who made the mistake of enrolling the MoD to an unnecessary extent in an FCO matter - but perhaps it was the MoD who inveigled their way in to ensure that the honourable PJM would receive a 'keepsake' recommendation (using specious and misleading double-medalling objections) because it didn't want to have to provide individual proof of service if the PJM received unrestricted acceptance. If that was the case, then the MoD deserves everything it gets.

I should add that this is precisely the point that has provoked everyone into writing lots of letters and emails to the MoD and Richard Coney. George has been concentrating on specific RN/NGSM issues that underline to the MoD that their double-medalling stance was a lie. They brought this deluge of correspondence upon their own heads.

Now we are refocusing on key addressees and let Richard Coney get on with his gardening. But the MoD will always be a main beneficiary of our epistles! As I say, they brought it upon themselves.

Barry

George F wrote:
Now their own deception is catching up with them. So let them reap the whirlwind of veterans letters and e/mails piling down on their heads.

Amen - but we can spare RC, methinks.

George F wrote:
Barry, the best way to spare Mr Coney is not to answer any of his letters directly.

We are not answering letters - he is answering our questions that are relevant to his job. For example, it was from him that I obtained the first definitive set of eligibility rules. He kindly opbtained them from the FCO!

George F wrote:
If we keep wriiting and sending e/mails to elected ministers from the MOD, FCO and Mr Denis Brennan in the cabinet office, the penny will eventually drop.

Exactly, George. That is what we are shouting from the rooftops. But he gets copied in to too many emails - we should leave him out of the Cc Box.

It's great to see that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Regards, Barry

Post Another Shadow Defence Minister Speaks 
This post is on behalf of Arthur A who has asked me to post an exchange of letters between himself and his MP Dr Julian Lewis (Shadow Defence Minister with responsibility for some aspects of veterans and Royal Navy aspects).

- - - - - - Arthur's messages start here - - - - - - - - -

I contacted my MP Dr Julian Lewis (Shadow Defence Minister) first, about clarification of the statement “Permission to wear the PJM will not, however, formally be given.” and attach his reply. Attachment No1:

I drafted a second letter pointing out, that in my view the Double Medal issue was not clear cut the main text was as follows:

I understand the reasoning behind the “Double Medal” issue but it should be noted the issue of the General Service Medal and clasps for service in Malaysia does not completely match the period to qualify for the PJM medal.

As I understand it, the 1918-1962 GSM was issued to those who qualified for the operation on mainland Malaya between June 1948 and July 1960, it was also issued for service in Brunei, between the 8-23 December 1962.

In 1963 a new GSM was introduced, known as the GSM 1962, this was issued (with the appropriate clasp) for the service in Malaysia as follows,
December 1962- August 1966 for service in Borneo August 1964 – August 1966 for service on the Malaysian mainland and Singapore.

The qualifying service for the PJM medal in Malaysia August 1957- August 1966

As no medal was issued for service on the mainland Malaysia between July 1960 and August 1964, it follows, any one who served there between those dates would not have receive a medal and the “Double Medal” rule would not apply, I recognise this only applies to a selected number of those who served in the theatre, but it may be a reason to seek a waver of the “Double Medal” rule.

If you feel there is sufficient logic in this argument you may consider submitting it to the appropriate authority for their comment, any support would be most welcome.

To which I received the second letter which is attachment No2:

... there may be hope yet but don’t hold your breath!!

Arthur A

- - - - - - - -message ends

Post Re: Another Shadow Defence Minister Speaks 
Arthur A wrote:
I contacted my MP Dr Julian Lewis (Shadow Defence Minister) first, about clarification of the statement “Permission to wear the PJM will not, however, formally be given.”

Thanks for this excellent post, Arthur. It gives us a further insight into the Conservative Party's approach to their responsibilities .... "If in doubt ask the Labour Party their view ... never question anything because it is divisive and we don't want that do we??" And that from a Conservative Party supporter.

I wonder what response you'll get from Mr Harper, the Shadow Veterans Minister. See his infamous letter addressed to George "no relation" Fleming in Northern Ireland but sent to Barry "no relation" Fleming's address in England! Such is his attention to detail ... see the cock-ups of understanding in his letter ... on both counts I hope he never has his finger on the nuclear button.

He simply did not know what he was talking about.

Now that the ex-Government Veterans Minister (Don Touhig) has come down on our side and made a case for the wearing of the PJM, I wonder if Mr Harper and Dr Lewis will change their views.

Referring to their endless reliance on the specious double-medalling issue, GSM service on the Malaya Peninsular finished in June 1965 - 18 months before the end of the PJM cooling off period (31.12.66).

And then there was the GSM Yeti in Singapore ... 5 1/2 years without one being spotted during PJM eligibility dates.

Here are some more interesting replies if anyone wishes to answer in reply to the senders

Be polite, ask pertinent questions and of course put your full name and address down when writing otherwise there will be no reply

If you require a guaranteed answer this can be acheived by writing to your MP who must receive a reply on your behalf.

Some of us on here spend literally hours badgering these people, we sure could do with some help, come and join us, I think this is my 500th post on here, you might think that I'm barking mad, I might be, but no one is going to tell a 66 year old civvy what medal he can wear and when especially one that is being honoured by a foreign government and a King to boot.

Talk about winning hearts and minds.............

Post DO YOU NEED MORE VOTES GORDON? 
As you are now involved in possibly taking over from Tony Blair, I wondered if you would be interested in our organisation. The Fight4 the PJM. This group of Veterans are fighting for the right to wear this honourable medal granted to around 35000 veterans of the Malaya and Borneo Campaign during approximately 10 years that ended in 1966. The Agong of Malaysia awarded this medal to all commonwealth Soldiers,Sailors and Airmen who served in that theatre of operations. Due to the Civil Servants thinking that they have the right to overule Her Majesty, we are still after over2 years not able to officially wear this medal.

I Know that you have an interest in Veterans affairs , but more inportant is the votes that may return to the labour party by your action for this cause.

Perhaps a view of our web site will give you a better idea of what we are having to put up with from Whitehall and the HD committee Mandarins.

Thank You in Anticipation

Roger Spencer Retired Warrant Officer

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1