Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
We tell Malaysia we'll wear our PJM with honour
Post We tell Malaysia we'll wear our PJM with honour 
Thanks to eagle-eyed Laurie in Penang, we've just heard that the Malaysian press now know about our position regarding the 1968 London Gazette Notice.

The British High Commission in KL will also now know because they read all the newspapers. If they know, they will have reported back to the Foreign Office ... and they'll report to the Cabinet Office ... and they'll report to the MoD ... and they'll ask the FCO a question ... ask what? They'll ask them why they were not advised about the Gazette Notice when preparing their brief for the HD Committee. It could have saved some red faces.

LaurieB wrote:
Barry's letter to the Editor of the Star appears in todays paper. See here:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/4/1/focus/17311996&sec=focus

Remember ... whatever the Cabinet might try to tell you, and they have been less than straightforward with you to date, we are satisfied that the Gazette Notice does apply to eligible private citizens, underlined by MoD written instructions to ex-service people specifically telling us we should obey such Gazette Notices.

More info on the Gazette Notice can be found here http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1324

Post test 
test

Patrick Moody the Deputy High Commissioner at KL has already tried to deceive the Malaysian people into believing we could wear the medal (because it is not policed) one wonders will he challenge your letter. Lets hope he does, because now we have The Queen on our side instead of a non-existing policeman.

UK civilians free to wear medal
PATRICK MOODY,
Deputy High Commissioner,
British High Commission,
Kuala Lumpur.
http://www.nmbva.co.uk/uk_civilians_free_to_wear_medal.htm

Post My Email to KL plus their Reply 
To Col Paul Edwards,
British High Commission,
Kuala Lumpur.
Malaysia.

Paul,
You will remember last year when we exchanged emails I were concerned about being discourteous to Her Majesty the Queen if I wore my PJM or being discourteous to the Agong and his People if I didn’t. Well I’m please to say that this problem has now been overcome due to the discovery of a London Gazette notice of the 3rd May 1968. I have permission to wear.
I do not know who advises the HD Committee but who ever it is or was missed this very important ruling concerning foreign decorations which has been approved by HM the Queen.
As a Private Citizen when the PJM was conferred and accepted I automatically have unrestricted permission to wear.
So I can now wear my PJM with a clear conscience.
Looking forward to my return to Malaysia more than ever,
Kind regards
Paul.

London Gazette 3rd May 1968
FOREIGN OFFICE
COMMONWEALTH OFFICE
ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND MEDALS CONFERRED
BY MEMBERS OF THE COMMONWEALTH
OF WHICH THE QUEEN IS NOT
HEAD OF STATE, AND BY FOREIGN
COUNTRIES.
The QUEEN has been graciously pleased! to approve
that Orders, Decorations and Medals conferred with
Her Majesty's permission upon United Kingdom
citizens not being servants of the Crown by the
Heads or Governments of Commonwealth countries
as defined above, or of foreign States, may in all
cases be worn by the recipients without restriction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul,
Thank you very much for this. In that case I hope that all veretrans visiting Malaysia will wear the medal with pride.

Regards

Paul

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1