Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Want to ask Mrs Beckett a question? Now's your chance!
She has to put her Range Rover in for an oil change and to convert her fuel tank from gallons to litres.

Do they think that we are all stupid!

Yours aye

Arthur

I have also just checked and found to my dismay that something else turned up which appeared more pressing, may I suggest running scared of too many questions from all of us veterans.

Cameron

It is difficult to stay on the ball when you know that you have scored an own goal, not once, but many times. Such is the position of the FO and the H and D committee. Their only line of defence, is to reiterate what they have said, or pass the buck. Hardly a promotional bell ringer, but then they never come up with anything new, except, "shortly".

Hmmm! how many steering committees were convened and at what cost to come up with that one. Still, let's face it, they have all the time and money in the world to waste.

My one thought at the moment is, when dispensing their largess of receiving the PJM and the amendment to the rules, that we cannot wear it, but it will go unpoliced, defies all logic. Why not just say..."ok you have the Queen's permission to wear it unrestricted". Then they can close the book on this dismal chapter and get on screwing up other peoples lives. I mean, isn't that what they are there for.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Arthur.....it appears to me that, with infinite regret, I must accept the fact that the land of my birth has degenerated into a 'Banana Republic'....the only factors missing are the climactic conditions necessary for the cultivation of bananas.

THE EMPEROR AARTONE IS WORKING ON CLIMATE CHANGE,BY WHICH TIME THE NUTS WE HAVE COMBINED WITH THE FRUIT ,WILL GIVE US THE RAW MATERIALS FOR OUR OWN HOMEGROWN FRUITCAKES.

Post Email to the FCO 
British Governments do not make snap decisions (not even this one) so the announcement of planned troop withdrawal from Iraq being made today in Parliament was planned well in advance as would have The Rt Hon Margaret Beckett MP answering questions from the general public on the web, so why was it cancelled?
It either smells of conspiracy or incompetence?
Is the real reason the inability to answer question on the PJM if this is not the case reschedule it for next week.

Arthur.....it appears to me that, with infinite regret, I must accept the fact that the land of my birth has degenerated into a 'Banana Republic'....the only factors missing are the climactic conditions necessary for the cultivation of bananas.

You failed to mention Jock whether they were straight or curved bananas under EU Act 36/B~3927A4359Y/KGB/G49321bananas/copy straight/43cft sub section 9 of the amended act of 2001/x48b99

Post Bananas 
Somewhere in the loft I have a small wad of what was known in Malaya as banana money. It was given to me by a Mr Chou with whom I worked for a while in 1958. He explained that it was Jap occupation money and worth,"fuh-aw," whatever that means. Now that we are a banana republic, something I have suspected for a while, I must look for my wad. Mr Chou's seeming worthless gift could make me rich at last.

MB.

MB Wrote;
Somewhere in the loft I have a small wad of what was known in Malaya as banana money. It was given to me by a Mr Chou with whom I worked for a while in 1958. He explained that it was Jap occupation money and worth,"fuh-aw," whatever that means. Now that we are a banana republic, something I have suspected for a while, I must look for my wad. Mr Chou's seeming worthless gift could make me rich at last.

A most interesting reminiscence Mike....and let me compliment you, after all these years, on your marvellously retentive memory for colloquial Cantonese....Like you I can no longer recall exactly what the translation might be, but I surmise it is an oblique reference to an amount of money so small as to be inconsequential?

Oh dear. MB if only you had stuck that in the bank. Your Fuh Aw might be Fuh Lotta Wonga, in which case, we could all call round and you could buy us a Tiger Tops with your new found wealth. As you have acted imprudently in the financial game of chance, may I refer you to the Chinese term... Fuh It, as a panacea for all of your woes.

Just remember, R05 has a stick that you can measure it up against, mind you, he would play merry hell if you didn't give it back to him...something to do with hoodie pacification, whatever that is.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Post Folding wad o' fuh-aw. 
Thanks, Jock, for bringing me crashing down to earth. Ah, well, almost sun over yard arm time.

Thanks to you too, Arthur, for rubbing in the salt. I now remember Mr Chou's other favourite bit of Cantonese...."Wew, fuh me siways."

Pete, just make me feel really bad can you use the stick our Arthur mentions to work out how much about 30 folding banana dollars come to in our new fruity republic?

MB.

Post Re: Folding wad o' fuh-aw. 
[quote="MB"]Thanks, Jock, for bringing me crashing down to earth. Ah, well, almost sun over yard arm time.

Thanks to you too, Arthur, for rubbing in the salt. I now remember Mr Chou's other favourite bit of Cantonese...."Wew, fuh me siways."

Pete, just make me feel really bad can you use the stick our Arthur mentions to work out how much about 30 folding banana dollars come to in our new fruity republic?

MB.[/quote] LOVE TO MIKE,ONLY ONE PROB,I KEEP IT DOWN BY TILLER FLAT,TRIED TO GO THROUGH THE CHINESE LAUNDRY,BUT HE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT 'FUH WA' I'M TRYING TO GET ME HEAD DOWN Exclamation CAN'T BE SURE BUT I THOUGHT I HAD A PLATE OF IT IN SEMBAWANG VILLAGE,AFTER I LOST THE SHIPS MONKEY ON A RUN ASHORE Mad

Post Re: Bananas 
MB wrote:
He explained that it was Jap occupation money and worth,"fuh-aw," whatever that means. MB.

Mike, I think what Mr Chou was trying to tell you was that the money was worth "F*#k all"!!!

By co-incidence, I am reading a book, Forgotten Armies by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper, in which this currency is mentioned several times. It was apparently referred to as "banana currency" because of the fruits printed on it. If you have notes that are in 'extremely fine' or 'uncirculated' condition, their value is in the low to mid-3 figure range, in Rinngit Malaysia! Not sure what the sterling value would be.

The most valuable notes now are those that were overstamped "Malayan War Souvenir - Grim memories of 1941 - 1945 on VJ". These are now quite rare. An uncirculated $5 note is presently valued at around RM2000.

Your reference to straight and curved bananas and EU Act reference number to it, is incorrect John.

That is for square eggs. It is only two digits further on than square "O" rings.

Always happy to help sort out the muddle.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Your reference to straight and curved bananas and EU Act reference number to it, is incorrect John.

That is for square eggs. It is only two digits further on than square "O" rings.

Always happy to help sort out the muddle.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Well we were all used to Scrambled Egg and Fruit salad on hats and epaulettes, but I could never come to terms with Ostrich Feathers, Arthur.

Strange really that Senior Officers could wear stuff like that but we as civilians cannot wear a medal, still each to their own, aye? Wink

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2