Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Amendment to the Armed Forces Bill - It Affects Us!
There were a few supporters of the PJM Campaign in The Lords yesterday, I had to watch the broadcast twice to see if I was dreaming, well done to all their Lordships, absolutely brilliant, and of course to all those that have done so much lobbying Smile

John

Kuching.
Post General, Lord Stannat 
Dear all

I was present at Lord Stannat's talk (on behalf of ABF) on Wednesday evening 6th Oct, after which there was a book signing; "General Stannart - Leading from the front". Being in a wheel chair does have some advantages, and I was "introduced" to the front of the queue by one of the organisers upon which Lord Stannat's first remark was "that's a good SSAFA tie your're wearing" as he began to sign the book.

I pointed out that I was also supporter of the "Fight4the pjm" campaign to which he replied "I can make no guarantees, but it could be good news for you". We shook hands and I thanked him, and the other noble and gallant Lords, for the support we had received from the HoL, particularly that from Lord Don Touhig.

I make no apology if this appears like name dropping when taking a chance given opportunity to make it known how much we cherish their help.

For those, including myself, who have not yet written to their MP's, I urge that this it the time we (and me) do it; and fast!

Best wishes,

David

Post They support; we must support them 
Dear all,

We all know how much support the HoL has given us. I haven't yet written to my MP, something which I will do straight away. I, we, owe it to Lord Don Touhig and others
to support their efforts in ensuring that it gets through the commons. MPs and in particular Ministers, which has been proven, can be made the Prisoners of their Civil Servants. I can only say to them, that Senior Civil Servants ought to accept responsibility for their decisions they make and not hide behind the skirts of HM or misuse the Royal Prerogative which they frequently do.

I would also like to remind them that Governments fall as a result of SC decisions, Ministers are sacked or promoted sideways for the same reason. Trust should be a mutual thing!

Indeed, in one training manual, Civil Servants are advised to manipulate Ministers
to achieve, in their lights, what the intentions of the Governments are - its all there in Black and White.

They will fight: so must we! We have 2029 registered persons, a goodly number of letters to MPs to help us.

Anyway, I will make sure that I'll write, and if you haven't already written to you MP will you please do so.

D^

Post Amendment 8 carried! PJM issue defeats HMG! 
Well, our War Lords did their best yesterday. A stunning effort. All the points were made. We could not expect more...

... until Lord Astor started to speak. He simply repeated the 'official' line given to him - but it was a much firmer defence of the current system. He did not progress the PJM issue at all and when asked if he had written his promised letter to the FCO asking if a recommendation could be made to the HD Committee, he said he had not. The deal was that if he had done so there would be no division on this amendment. Because Lord Astor had delayed his promised letter (thus there would be uncertainty as to the outcome until after this stage of the Bill when the Lords could no longer exercise pressure) and because Lord Craig detected a fundamental difference in approach between Lord Astor/HMG and the Amendment, Lord Craig forced a division on his amendment that included the PJM.

Lord Craig got his amendment. Lord Astor and The Government were defeated. The amendment was carried, 208 to 194. Labour produced 146 of the 'Content' votes - and Crossbench 51. All Tories, the Non-Contents, voted against Lord Craig's amendment - as did 65 LibDems. Only 2 LibDems were on-side with the amendment and the PJM.

This was a very important and successful day for the PJM. We had a vote - and we won. Lord Astor did say he would write very soon about the PJM, and expected to have a reply very soon. But the result in the Lords (all Tories and essentially all Lib Dems voting together) signals that further down the line (in the 'other place' where there are so few 'cross-benchers' compared to the HoL, and in civil servants' offices) we might encounter problems .... so please keep lobbying!

This debate is worth reading! You can download it here:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Armed_Forces_Bill_HoL_Amendment_8_101011.pdf

Barry

Post Theyworkforyou - Comments Please 
If you want to add a note to any of the Lords' contributions to the debate, you can access it here via theyworkforyou.

Please keep it courteous. We do not yet know who is yanking Lord Astor's chains and we haven't yet given up entirely on achieving some sort of support from him.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2011-10-10a.1324.10&s=pingat#g1345.2

I have contacted my MP who is Labour also another Labour MP who I use to work with many years ago plus a Tory MP who I know supports us asking them all to support this amendment when it is returned to the commons.
Now is the time to drum up support before those Whitehall mandarins start weaving their evil spell on the Ministers

My MP is also a Labour MP and I have just written to him requesting his continuing support when the Bill returns to the Commons.

John

Kuching.
I have just sent a letter off to my MP Dr Dan Poulter Con Central Suffolk

I have asked him to spread the word that we need Conservative MPs to support us next week, I hope he is not going to be toeing the party line, it is important that we get this message out to Conservative MP's to avoid a defeat

Post URGENT 
The vote on the Armed Forces Bill is scheduled for Wed 19th Oct, contact your MP asking for support.

My MP who supports us, and who I've kept informed about my dispute over my PJM issue with Rogers, Hons Dept . I've alerted him about the date of Armed Forces Bill.

Roy .

My MP who supports us, and who I've kept informed about my dispute over my PJM issue with Rogers, Hons Dept . I've alerted him about the date of Armed Forces Bill.

Roy .

Great stuff, Roy.

Thanks for your ongoing support.

Barry

PS The debate may be delayed now that the Defence Minister has resigned.

Post Email the Veterans Minister and new Defence Minister 
Make a difference. And make it now. We only have until Wednesday the 19th October when the PJM appears in the Commons for debate.

Email the new Defence Minister and Andrew Robathan, the Veterans Minister - they hold the key to the PJM door.

Defence Minister, Philip Hammond: philip.hammond.mp@parliament.uk

Use all of the following three for Andrew Robathan: Robathana@parliament.uk, thompsondm@parliament.uk, southleicscons@btconnect.com

Many thanks,

Barry

Have done so Barry, anyone else made the pledge yet?

Have done so Barry, anyone else made the pledge yet?

Emails Sent. Let us hope they do the honourable Thing. Lets face it, it is about time they did!!!.

Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next