Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Fight Continues Unabated!
Post The Fight Continues Unabated! 
We have just received this message from Tom Vincent in Australia who is involved with veterans there:

"When the Australian govt accepted the PJM on our behalf, they did not stop half way, they handled the issue through the Dept of Defence Honours and Awards branch, we sent our application to them, they checked our service with the records office, then sent us the medal by registered post, and I don’t know of any Australian serviceman or woman who has not had the PJM mounted with their other medals. We thought our govt is bl***y minded at times, but they would have a lot to learn from the idiot people who made the decision that you cant wear the PJM."

I think the British Government and their buttock-clenching civil servant bosses in the Foreign Office, MoD and Cabinet Office have much to learn from the attitude shown in Australia - generosity of thought and deed being two qualities distinctly lacking within the British regime. If those suits were to learn to be more aware, the number of our casualties in Afghanistan and Iraq (a war they got us into by 'bending' the truth in much the same way as they bend the truth about the PJM) would have been much lower. It is all about an attitude of mind.

I was asked recently if I wore the PJM. I said I now would. The questioner said he thought we had been denied that permission. I responded that the only people who say we can't wear it lie about their expenses (which the taxpayer has to fund), use devices to secretly monitor wounded ex-service personnel (to check up on whether their wounds are as serious as claimed), lie about our troops equipment (and thus cause avoidable casualties, leave widows and orphans, and maimed men and women), and lie about 'rules' that they themselves concoct (they have told the Queen to allow a PJMer permission to wear another medal which is identical to the PJM - same service in Malaya 50 years ago, double medal etc).

I asked a VC holder who had served in Malaya whether he thought we should be able to wear the PJM. He said “The award of the PJM Medal by the Malaysian government is a timely honour to those who served. We are privileged to receive it with good grace and respect and should wear it with the dignity it warrants.” Now … who do I follow? The dodgy suits or the Victoria Cross holder who did the business in Korea and Malaya? That is what I understand is called a 'no brainer'!

And so the fight for the right of British citizens to wear the PJM goes on unabated. We are working very hard behind the scenes. This issue is not going to go away until justice has been achieved.

Thanks, Tom, for inspiring me to write this message to all our supporters.

I agree with everything that Barry has stated but I would like to add one thing.
The London Gazette Notice 5057 gives me permission to wear the PJM.

So when it comes to the non-elected suits trying to dictate to me one thing come to mind.

They can put their illegal rules i.e. not passed by Parliament, were the sun don’t shine.

Post Gazette entry 
I have an Archive copy of Issue 44579 of the London Gazette dated 3rd May 1968, which states irrevocably (unless decreed otherwise by the Queen), and with disambiguation, that I can wear my PJM. This is framed and hangs proudly in my study so if any visitors or anyone ever wishes to discuss this issue with me, then they are more than welocome to enter my hallowed halls and see the evidence for themselves !!

Today’s electronic Daily Mail said these guys are not fit to shine a soldier’s boots so why would I need their permission to wear a medal?…..anyway, HM gave that permission 40 years ago and that is what counts.

As you guys so rightly say you have that permission to wear The PJM from HM The Queen, in my opinion anyone from The Civil Service informing you otherwise is misinforming you and the general public, THAT is against the Civil Service Code

Post The Right to Wear. 
John Cooper and I have had complaints with the Information Commissioner for over a year now and yet they write to us regularly to say that they are still unable to give our cases a case worker to investigate them - after more than year?
We are asking to see the recommendation made by the HD Committee and the minutes of their meeting that shows they recommended to the Queen that the PJM can be accepted but not worn.
I recently submitted a further complaint to the ICO and they dealt with this almost immediately and it was withdrawn so how come they cannot deal wth the others. My own interpretation is that they cannot deny us the information requested which may show 'tampering' with the Royal Prerogative and instructions issued by Civil Servants against British citizens which are unacceptable.
A lawyer says we have the right to wear the PJM by Royal Decree in the London Gazette of 3rd May, 1968, so none of the present self appointed aristocracy who believe they are GOD and claim £20,000 expenses for three months without batting an eyelid and the cabinet who are ruining our country with thoughts of grandeur and riches above everything else, can tell me otherwise.
Like everyone else who was awarded the PJM by the Malaysian government and authorised by our Queen I will wear it and no civil servant will tell me otherwise.

Post The Right to Wear 
See PM

John

Kuching.

PM received and replied to as McD has said someone is batting on a VERY sticky wicket, we know they know it, this will take time, we will ensure it is resolved in our favour......... Smile

John/Semengo

PM received and replied to as McD has said someone is batting on a VERY sticky wicket, we know they know it, this will take time, we will ensure it is resolved in our favour......... Smile

Agreed. They have to answer us sometime and the IC has already told them to release the document (letter from Sir Robin Javrin or was it Janvirn?) saying the Queen did agree the recommendation that the PJM could be accepted but not worn. Now let us see that recommendation which in some quarters is believed to only contain advice about acceptance of the PJM

By not showing anything by the suits to us shows 'Guilt by Association' Crying or Very sad

Post Inspiration from Australia 
If the Foreign Office, MoD or Cabinet Office ever thought we would give up this fight, they are much mistaken. We are working hard behind the scenes, lobbying and uncovering more of the deceit, incompetence, and conflicting decisions that characterise the work of the civil servants in respect of the untenable defence of their PJM recommendation.

As the years go by we are able to continue the fight and, indeed, increase our efforts motivated by the inspiration we get from our supporters. And today I received a copy letter that is so inspiring that I asked for, and obtained, the writer's approval to publish it here. It is from an Australian officer who is entitled to accept and wear the PJM – yet he is willing to spend time helping us to win our fight to wear our medal. The content of the letter also underlines the mean-spiritedness of the UK ‘authorities’.

Tom Vincent sent the copy letter by email with these words:

Below is a copy of an email I have sent to the local office of the British High Commision in Australia. I have also sent an email to many of my old mates, and I intend to send a message to many of the various Corps and Regimental associations in Australia, urging them to send similar messages to the High Commission. Thought you may be interested that we feel the injustice being done to you is also a slight on us, your Brothers in Arms.

The last sentence makes a fundamental point that will not have occurred to those who try and maintain an out-of-date and confused colonial attitude when manufacturing contradictory rules to suit their private agenda in the context of the modern, Commonwealth/Global, environment in which we all need to stand shoulder to shoulder to fight aggression, confrontation and terrorism - just as we did in Malaya, Borneo and ultimately in Malaysia.

Here is Tom’s letter to the British High Commission in Australia:

Sir

As an Australian veteran who served in Malaysia during Confrontation in the period 1963/65 I have been award the PJM by the Malaysian government, the medal was issued to me by the Honours and Awards Branch of the Dept of Defence in Canberra, and I am allowed to wear the medal, along with the Imperial award of the General Service Medal 1962 with clasps Malaya and Borneo

I am aware that HM the Queen has approved the receipt of the same medal by all troops in the British Army who served in Malaysia for the period for which the PJM was awarded, but that the MOD has told those veterans they can accept the medal, but not wear the medal or have it mounted with their other medals.

I wish to protest about this and to have your government made aware that there are approximately 15000 Australian and probably 7000 NZ veterans who now have the medal and wear it proudly as a mark of the respect shown to all of us by the Malaysian government.

We served alongside men of the KOYLI, Scots Guards, Argyl and Sutherland Highlanders, at least three Ghurka Battalions, 26 and 45 Regts of the Royal Artillery, as well as so many other British units that were in country at the same time as we were, and they are not allowed to wear the medal.

Please pass on to your government our displeasure that the petty minded attitude of your civil servants who have defined the rules on wearing of medals is not appreciated by the brothers in arms of your veterans. Malaysia is not a foreign country, it is a member of the Commonwealth, and we believe that the action to prevent British veterans wearing the PJM is not an attitude that should be tolerated and we urge you to pass this message to those who should be in a position to change that stupid decision

Tom Vincent
Major (Retired) Australian Army

Tom has also contacted other Australian Regimental Associations suggesting they may wish to consider writing to the BHC expressing their support for eligible British Malaya/Borneo ex-servicemen and women to wear the PJM.

Thanks, Tom. We won't forget this support from 'down under'.

Post Inspiration from Australia 
The above is indeed a wonderful boost to morale, Barry. There were Australians serving alongside us back in the 1950s in Malaya and they were always a breath of fresh air, as the saying goes. With Tom and our other brothers in arms putting their shoulder to the wheel we shall make great inroads into the musty corridors of Whitehall. Who knows, we might soon be able to sniff the never to be forgotten almondy aroma of squashed bed bugs, another bane in our lives along with the leeches.

I was attached to 201 Squadron, Royal Australian Signals for my stay in Borneo in 64/65 and really appreciate Tom Vincents efforts on our behalf.

Our Aussie friends never did tolerate the kind of things our dear Whitehall Manderins go in for.

Please convey my/our appreciation Barry when you get the chance.

Regards,

John

Kuching.
Tom Vincent's comments convey the very idea that all Australian Vets cannot get their heads around - that they can wear the PJM but servicemen and women that came under the UK Forces cannot wear their PJM.

Every Australian that I have told about this disgraceful behaviour of the UK Civil Servants are unable to grasp the idea that these Civil Servants are able to misapply Rules, AND to introduce 'new' Rules AND to apply them retrospectively, to deny UK PJMers the right that was given them by HM The Queen.

They are being extremely discourteous to HM.

They are being extremely discourteous to HM.

And, as Tom points out ... to Australia.

You will recall that the Cabinet Office stated that the PJM cannot be worn because it does not meet British standards!!! Can you believe that?

No, neither can I ... nor can anyone except those inane civil servants who are gradually destroying this country and all it once stood for.

Barry

PS I wonder how Malaysia feels about that slur on their honour.

PPS And, following my request to wear the PJM, I have a letter from the Cabinet Office telling me I should be more grateful for what they have done for us Malaya-Borneo ex-servicemen and women ... and from the MoD we were referred to as medal-chasing "disaffected" veterans (we were not chasing anything - at the time of that MoD comment, we had already received the PJm and only wanted to wear it)! Then there was the time (8th May 2006 - I have a record as you'd expect of an ex-Int Corps man!) the MoD Honours Unit civil servant told me that I could bung my PJM back into my Cornflakes packet for all it meant to him as an 'honour'. It is all utterly unbelievable.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next