Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Robinson & Twigg
Post Robinson & Twigg 
I would like to publicly thank my MP Geoffrey Robinson and his staff for all there hard work and support for us Malay/Borneo Veterans and his contribution at the meeting with the Veterans Minister Derek Twigg.
Also many thanks to Derek Twigg for taking the time to listen to us; we have always known that once we present the facts to our politicians they come out in support to wear the PJM.

Yes Paul they have done an excellent job.

Best wishes,

John

Kuching.
Not only was it a brilliant initiative of Paul, but the backing that Geoffrey Robinson MP has given to Paul must be exemplified in furthering our right. I thought it was fantastic that our own Veterans Minister was able to listen to our side of the argument instead of just being advised of the Civil Service dogma, great stuff Derek, thanks for listening and thanks for your support! Smile

Post Mike Hall & Geoffrey Robinson 
    The postman has been and left me this >>>>

and this>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I now know for defo that Mike Hall will support us. Thanks Mike if you read this.

Fred

Phredd, that is fantastic news, thanks........... Smile

I now know for defo that Mike Hall will support us. Thanks Mike if you read this.

Thanks indeed Mike!.....and thanks to Phredd too for persistent lobbying....

Thank you very much for contacting your MP and please pass my thanks onto him.
It took me 6 months of emails, letters and many many phone calls plus the help of my MP Geoffrey Robinson to get that meeting and it is starting to look like it was all worth while.

One day these Civil Servants will have to listen.

Paul, it was worth it to know that it is now only the Foreign Office which stands in our way. We have the support of the vast majority of the members of the House of Commons and taking stock of the appaling election results that they have just had, I think that they may now listen to the voice of the people. (No apologies to Redcap Fred!)

We now need to lobby Jack Straw with thousands of letters and/or e-mails and we definately need his constituents to gain meetings with him at his constituency surgeries. Now is definately the time to strike (apologies to our Trade Union friends) and make our strength known to him and of course, his hanger on, Meg. Perhaps a shot across the bows from the Don might not come amiss because now that the voting regulations have been changed, you can register to vote in any constituency in the UK if you have a permanent address there and one night constitutes an address . We had a Lib Dem do that here to register and stand for election and despite our complaints it was held that it was legal so food for the goose is fodder for the gander.

John

Do you mean Jack Straw (Justice Minister) or David Miliband (Foreign Secretary)

Early this morning I have asked a question of a letter that Jack the Lad purportedly wrote to Buckingham Palace in late 2005, the answer to that one could be interesting.........

It is said in some quarters, and not by me obviously as we are non-political, that our Prime Minister is to obtain instruction in lip reading as he is now to listen, having shown in the past that he is stone deaf.

Last edited by mcdangle on Sat May 03, 2008 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silly me, I thought Jack Straw was still the Foreign Secretary but he is not is he..................or is he? Anyway, it is the Foreign Secretary we must target!

Just goes to show you that I have not been politically active for some time now and have lost track in their movements (or is it interest?) Yes Milliband the elder that's the fella.

John

Post Foreign Secretary 
Should we write to Milliband now, or wait for the inevitable Cabinet reshuffle?

Tony

P.S. We may then end up at the top of the pile of items the new 'man' has to consider - or am I being naive ? - either way my letter is ready, just waiting for an addressee !

I see nothing wrong in writting to Miliband but keep an eye on the media and look out for front runners and write to them also before they get into office for once they are in office the Civil Servants intercept their post and reply for them.

I do not think that there will be a reshuffle so much as a power struggle. It is anybodys guess what will happen next. Milliband looks set to go for the top job so I expect there to be 'blood on the carpet' soon.

John

I have just sent this to his constituency office at milibandd@parliament.uk

Dear Mr. Milliband, as the Foreign Secretary you will no doubt be aware of the continuing struggle by many thousands of UK Veterans to get HM Government to allow the unrestricted award of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal to those who are entitled to the same.

There have been constant arguments of late between the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and the Ministry of Defence over just who is responsible to the point that it is almost an abdication of responsibility from both departments. Of course, this is the civil servants that are causing most of the problem aided and abetted by the cabinet secretary and the HD committee all of whom have made erroneous statements and are now scrambling to justify them. The campaign group Fight4thePJM has recently met with the Right Hon Derek Twigg MP the Veterans Minister, and have put their case to him. As a result of receiving information from them denied him by his civil servants he has told them that he is now sympathetic to their case and will ensure that it is heard in Government. Once the agenda of the unelected civil servants is by passed the Members of the House of Commons (and Lords) invariably see the morality, reason and the common sense behind the arguments put forward by the actual veterans themselves. It is a fact that a large majority of Members of Parliament now support this case.

Mr. Twigg has given an interview with the Royal British Legion in which the inevitable question about this award was brought up and his answer was printed in their magazine, he states quite categorically that the matter rests entirely with the Foreign Office, that is you. Will you meet with those veterans who so ably put their case to him so that they can appraise you of the true facts behind this issue or will you continue to ignore those that have served their country listening to those who have never been elected to represent anyone. I would hope that you will choose the former option.

Sincerely

Cllr. John Ireland
Chairman Calne Branch RBL
www.rblcalne.org.uk

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next