Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
How Do Gurhka recipients get their PJM medals
Post Re: How Do Gurhka recipients get their PJM medals 
George F wrote:
Does anyone know if Malaysia offered the PJM to the Nepalese Government?

George,

While we look into that, we also have the cases of those Malaysians who enlisted in the British Army.

We have a great supporter in an ex-Malayan soldier who enlisted in the RAMC. Here is a recent email - I'd value your comments on his position vis-a-vis the PJM:

- - - - - - -

"Further to my email of the 17th March 2006.

I respectfully, would like to inform you that the Locally Enlisted Personnel (LEP) were enlisted as Malayan Soldiers in the British Army for military service in Singapore & Malaya under the Far East Land Forces (FARELF) Command.

We joined the British Army at the Far East Training Centre (FETC) at Nee Soon Garrison in Singapore.

The Malayan contingent was composed of citizens from Malaya and Singapore who were from various ethnic communities – Indians, Chinese, Malays and Eurasians.

The “Malay soldiers” are the members of the Angkatan Tentera Malaysia - The Malaysian Armed Forces.

I would be very grateful if we could be referred to as: “British Army-Malayan Soldiers ”.

We were all declared redundant by the withdrawal of the British Forces from Malaysia and Singapore in 1971."

Do these men have to apply to their own Government?

Post Re: How Do Gurhka recipients get their PJM medals 
BarryF wrote:
Do these men have to apply to their own Government?

George has responded as follows:

"Barry,

This is an old, one remember the debate I had on another forum about veterans from the Malay army & police force living today in Singapore. Since Singapore became an independent state it was supposed by myself that the Malaysian Government would likewise offer the PJM to veterans who fought for Malaysia today still living in Singapore. Malaysia Singapore, UK Australia and New Zealand are allies today in a Seato pact For Malaysia to leave Singapore out in the PJM awards would be a shame. I know both countries have had their differences.

George F

Post Gurkha & British Army - Malayan soldiers eligibilty. 
Gentlemen....would the appropriate place, for those in the aforementioned groups to request details of their potential eligbility, not be the Malyasian High Commission?...Several contributors to our forum (myself included) have received most courteous, if somewhat politically structured, letters of response from Belgrave Square.

It would seem to me that ANY potentially eligible recipient might be provided with appropriate details by writing to:

Office of: The Defense Adviser
Malaysian High Commission
45 Belgrave Square
London SW1X 8QT

Post Re: Gurkha & British Army - Malayan soldiers eligibilty. 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
It would seem to me that ANY potentially eligible recipient might be provided with appropriate details by writing to: ... Office of: The Defense Adviser, Malaysian High Commission

I have now done this. Thanks, Jock. The letter is available from the link below

I'll report back when I receive an answer. Barry

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Defence_Adviser_MHC_re_Gurkha_and_LEPs.pdf

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1