Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Royal Prerogative
Post fighting fund 
I am in all the way and then some no way should we let the suits smirk over us!!!!

Me too. Even us Jocks will dig deep and come up with cash for a fighting fund. We always did like a good fight anyway, and boy am I looking forward to getting stuck into these 'suits'.

While I'm unsure if I like the sound of 'even us Jock's'....I'm game for the fight too...I'll probably have to step up on the begging letters a bit perhaps?

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Brummies are always ready to stand up for what is right. I'm in.

yo arll rite our kid.

mcdangle wrote:
Me too. Even us Jocks will dig deep and come up with cash for a fighting fund. We always did like a good fight anyway, and boy am I looking forward to getting stuck into these 'suits'.
DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL MC D ,LAST TIME I KNEW THE JOCKS DUG DEEP ,WAS WHEN A JOCK DROPPED A PENNY DOWN A RABBIT HOLE,THIS IS NOW KNOWN AS THE GRAND CANYON,CONFIRM PSE,NO I DINNA WANNA PERSONAL VISIT Exclamation

Pete, on a dull, rainy day, your humour brings a ray of light. Keep up the good work. If we couldn't laugh we would cry. I hivnae got yer address so the 'Dumfries Handshake' is oot o' the question the noo, Jimmy.

I hivnae got yer address so the 'Dumfries Handshake' is oot o' the question the noo, Jimmy.

Pete.....unlike McDangle, I'm confident that, on my next visit to the UK, I'll 'be able tae track ye doon'.....and perhaps then be in a position to introduce you to what I used to understand as 'The Marquis o' Edinburgh Rules'.

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Re: Royal Prerogative 
George F wrote:
The attorney general announced in December 1996 that the government would no longer claim immunity on a class basis and certificates would only be used when disclosure would cause "real damage or harm"

I think an important aspect from your AG quote is that what the AG was saying is that while it is relevant to have exemptions from the FoIA, those exemptions should be exercised with care and should not be treated as blanket approval to hide everything under the desk. The premise of the FoIA is that all info should be in the public domain unless the release of that info could cause real damage or harm and should therefore be allowed the protection of the exemption. But not by default.

Thus, if the placing of info in the public domain does not cause real damage or harm then it should not be afforded the protection of an exemption even though it falls under one of the headings you quoted.

The judgement as to whether info would cause "real damage or harm" is qualitative and is subjective - and any qualitative and/or subjective judgement must be capable of independent scrutiny.

George F wrote:
• foreign or international awards where The Queen’s permission is required or sought to accept and wear them;

For example, if the info we seek falls under the above heading it is clearly there to protect the background to the Queen giving or withholding permission. But if the release of that info was to demonstrate that civil servants had not given the Queen a full and even-handed brief, then the only “real damage or harm” would be to the suits who had failed the Queen.

In my view, the FoIA is there not to protect civil servants’ incompetence or sleight of hand or inappropriate advice to the Queen.

Therefore I think we are both agreed that the info should be released from the Exemption and into the public domain.

Barry

Post Re: Royal Prerogative 
George F wrote:
Unfortunately exemption 41(b) was not written to protect incompetent suits, or silly billy's on the HD committee members. This exemption is to protect the Sovereign.

Precisely!

We are talking about specific exewmptions and the fact that because something falls under one of those exemptions doesn't mean the info has to stay there - it shoudl only do so if, to release that info, wouls cause real damage or harm.

And therein lies my point. If placing the info into the public domain doesn't cause Her any "real damage or harm" and in fact helps her to be seen to be even-handed and playing Her role a Monarch in a democratic society, that openness "repairs damage and causes good". It may not help the suits but Exemptions from the FoIA are not there to hide their crappy recommendations.

My problem with the suits' position is that there is considerable suspeicion that they are needlessly and knowingly placing major question marks over the Crown - are they willing to do so just to protect their own discredited position?

And, yes ... I do remember the Admiral and his views! Understanding of what we are doing but unwilling to contemplate that the Queen has withheld approval - same view as us.

Barry

Post Contingency Plans 
Here's another one for any donation required. Tony D (Kentsboro)

ONE WAY OR OTHER WE WILL WIN !

Post Re: Contingency Plans 
Kentsboro wrote:
Here's another one for any donation required. Tony D (Kentsboro)

ONE WAY OR OTHER WE WILL WIN !

Thanks for your support, Tony.

Let's hope we do not have to go to Phase III - but we shall if we have to.

Barry
and the Fight4thePJM Team

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2