Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Two-Medal Objection - Two-Faced MoD! Part II
Post Two-Medal Objection - Two-Faced MoD! Part II 
The MoD, FCO and Honours and Decorations Committee use the two-medal argument to object to the PJM being worn.

Did you know that the MoD has insituted a medal that can only be worn if is is a TWO-MEDAL award.

The medal I refer to is the British Accumulated Campaign Service Medal which can only be awarded if the holder already has an existing British Medal for the very same service!

In other words, every holder of the MoD's very own Accumulated Campaign Service Medal represents a case of double-medalling ... the very charge that the MoD and the others use against the PJM.

Is that being two faced, or what!

Post The British have awarded Two Medals time and again 
The MoD, FCO and HD Committee state a principal objection to the PJM as being that there is a long-standing Rule that a medal should not be awarded when a British medal has already been received for the same service - the two-medal Rule.

The only thing 'long-standing' about that Rule is the long-standing consistency with which the British have actually awarded two medals for the same service.

Let me give you one example from each of the main conflicts:

Boer War: You had to have the British Queen’s South Africa Medal in order to qualify for the King’s South Africa Medal.

World War One: You had to have the British War Medal in order to qualify for the Victory Medal. Then for those serving before 1st January 1916 there was a British third medal - one of the two Stars. Nobody would begrudge anybody a medal for serving in that war but I think I am permitted to use their experience as an example because my father served in WWI from 1915 until 1919 and never fully recovered. He had the three medals known as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred. Some of our family are buried in France and Belgium.

World War Two: There are many examples of two and three medals being presented for the same service.. Troops in India qualified for both the Defence Medal and the War Medal. If you earned a campaign Star, you would also be awarded the War Medal. My uncle was entitled to five medals but never got toi wear any - his last campaign was D-Day and he is buried in Normandy. Again, I think it is acceptable (pardon the pun) for me to use these examples - many more of my wider family never came back from that war in Europe.

Korean War: Two medals were awarded for the same service - the Korea Medal and the United Nations Korea Medal.

I can provide many more examples with scope for double-medalling - the UN Congo, Kenya, Malaya/Malaysia, Oman, Former Yugoslavia and many more through to, I think, even the Iraq conflict.

But my point is made. Britain has a long-standing history of awarding two wearable medals for the same service. They should not be allowed to pretend otherwise simply to deny the honourable PJM.

Barry

The best double medal of all is the Accumulated Campaign service Medal.
It is imposible to have this medal unless you already have the GSM.
So 3 years NI= one campaign = 2 medals.

The best double medal of all is the Accumulated Campaign service Medal.
It is imposible to have this medal unless you already have the GSM.
So 3 years NI= one campaign = 2 medals.

Yes, Paul. And it is also quite recent, and it is also one that breaks the 5-year rule! It contravenes the very two spurious arguments used by the MoD/FCO and HD Committee to reduce the PJM to a souvenir.

But I was also emphasising the long-standing history that Britain has of awarding two or more wearable medals for the same service ... the crime that the PJM supposedly commits.

Not to mention that the majority of British PJMers do not have a British Medal.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1