Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
They think its all over----IT IS NOW!!!
Post They think its all over----IT IS NOW!!! 
I'll bet my MP thinks so too!! Very Happy

Despite voting with the Government Dan, I WILL forgive you

They think it is all over------IT IS NOW

Post Perceptions ... 
It's not over until "they" understand the meaning of "unrestricted" as conveyed by the sense of the Written Ministerial Statement in http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Ministerial_Statement_PJM_Amended_081111.pdf

The Queen's approval appears to me to be generally represented as a special/limited case, without the clarity or scope of
Quote:
Her Majesty the Queen has given her approval to a recommendation from the Committee on the Grant of Honours Decorations and Medals that those entitled to accept the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) medal should now also be permitted to wear it.

Continued vigilance is necessary to prevent a de facto "watering down" of the approval, I would suggest. Transparency? Well, for what it is worth, it is in Hansard - http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201011/ldhansrd/text/111108-wms0001.htm - but I, for one, am looking forward to further substantive promulgation. Pity we can't see the recommendation from the Committee that was accepted, eh? (or can we?) Or a London Gazette notice (well, those tend to get lost in the mists of time, as we know - while paying proper tribute to the electronic version which is second to none in all the world). And it could even (conceivably) be swallowed up and spat out as an "unforeseen" consequence of a later general review of one or all of the principles and details of the award system and the recommendation process.

No mistake - a tremendous victory (I'm still euphoric on your behalf) - but many a victory has been squandered in the aftermath. And the stingy announcements to date seem to give fair warning of continuing resistance.

On the other hand, I'm a paranoid and gloomy sod. Embarassed

This time it's etched in granite. Statements in the Lords and Commons confirm that the PJM now has unrestricted permission for wear on all occasions.

The amending Ministerial Statement is about as mealy-mouthed as it gets, but we'd expect that from the buttock-clenching civil servants who drafted it. They are not fit for purpose and one of the great satisfactions in my life has been to highlight what those misfits have done to ex-servicemen and women and to have them brought to account in Parliament - and to have them directed to do a U-Turn and amend their shameful actions. We haven't finished with them yet. More of that later ....

Barry

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Ministerial_Statement_PJM_Amended_081111.pdf

Just back from an extremely well attended Remembrance parade here in Aviemore. I arrived early at the muster point and was immediately approched by Danny Alexander who shook my hand and congratulated me and my comrades on our long awaited victory.

More importantly, after the parade and service, I was approached by an elderly lady who asked me which of my medals was the PJM. She was delighted to see it and told me that she had a form to fill in so that she could claim her husband's, a chap who died during the ealy days of our fight. It turned out that she had been talking to my wife before the Cenotaph service began and during one of those magical moments told her about her husband and his medal she wanted to claim on his behalf and that of their family. Kathy pointed her in my direction and tomorrow I shall accept her invitation to tea and scones while helping her to fill in said form to get things in motion at last.

Good to Hear DannyA's response Mike, our job is finished but at a guess it is not over for a lot of people still awaiting their PJM or for some that still are not aware of the PJM

I saw several PJM's on the Cenotaph march past today and it is great on this of all days to see that it has been recognised, this wasn't just a batle in a protracted unnecessary war against our own kind [Civil Servants] but it was certainly a Victory for Common Sense

I left school with no qualifications other than Common Sense and it won through Smile

Just back from an extremely well attended Remembrance parade here in Aviemore. I arrived early at the muster point and was immediately approched by Danny Alexander who shook my hand and congratulated me and my comrades on our long awaited victory.

More importantly, after the parade and service, I was approached by an elderly lady who asked me which of my medals was the PJM. She was delighted to see it and told me that she had a form to fill in so that she could claim her husband's, a chap who died during the ealy days of our fight. It turned out that she had been talking to my wife before the Cenotaph service began and during one of those magical moments told her about her husband and his medal she wanted to claim on his behalf and that of their family. Kathy pointed her in my direction and tomorrow I shall accept her invitation to tea and scones while helping her to fill in said form to get things in motion at last.

Good on you MB hope its very soon with the lady in question

... tomorrow I shall accept her invitation to tea and scones while helping her to fill in said form to get things in motion at last.

Mike,

When the form has been filled in, send it to John Simcock (not Fred who has stood doen). Scan a copy to em and we'll accelerate the process. We're not queue jumping, just proiriitising!

Barry

Thanks for that, Barry, and will do. The man in question served with the Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders...and seems to have...according to his wife... the new General Service Medal with Malay Peninsula bar, but also went to Borneo.

Yep, I know John S. is the man to get things done and will go down that route. Thanks old mate...

Mike.

Kathy pointed her in my direction and tomorrow I shall accept her invitation to tea and scones while helping her to fill in said form to get things in motion at last.

A win in both directions Mike. well done.

http://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/9374351.Veterans_celebrate_after_medals_approved_by_MoD/

Aha A.B.C. syndrome in its purest form Exclamation

Thanks for that, Barry, and will do. The man in question served with the Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders...and seems to have...according to his wife... the new General Service Medal with Malay Peninsula bar, but also went to Borneo.

Just noticed this Mike. The gentleman in question may then have been eligible for the Borneo clasp, 30 days qualification I think. Claimed my "Malay Penninsular" earlier this year without any problem and it came within two weeks. Hopefully the lady you refer to can claim her husbands if she so wishes.

Very best wishes,

John

Kuching.
Dear John, I delivered the PJM to the widow of Jock Allan last Friday....thanks to the swift delivery of the gong since we won the right to wear it and distribute it. I did ask the dear lady if she had the clasp for her husbands medal for Borneo , but she could not find it. The medal he earned was in need of a good polishing, and the ribbon was as it was issued...with no pin attached.

I guess I have a wee bit more work to do to get the family up to date with regard to what they should be entitled to. Thanks John for pointing this out, and since I have taken on the rights of Jock Allan, I shall do my best to see that he and his family get their dues.

Mike.

Good luck Mike. Jock's family are in safe hands.

John

Kuching.
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1