Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Spot the Difference- How Australians Approach Foreign Awards
Ah, there is a spark of rebellion still left out there!!!
John

Boys and girls with the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal.........we all have a small ribbon with a pin behind it....YES

OK then.........do what I'm going to do.....every time you wear your blazer to where ever....pin the ribbon onto to it.

Twisted Evil bring the devil out of you !!!

I know, I know, years ago we would obey orders to the end.....BUT we are civilians now and fighting our own battle, THE battle for recognition.

OUR right and screw the HD and all those over paid morons.

Terry

jireland wrote:
Ah, there is a spark of rebellion still left out there!!!
John

Boys and girls with the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal.........we all have a small ribbon with a pin behind it....YES

OK then.........do what I'm going to do.....every time you wear your blazer to where ever....pin the ribbon onto to it.

Twisted Evil bring the devil out of you !!!

I know, I know, years ago we would obey orders to the end.....BUT we are civilians now and fighting our own battle, THE battle for recognition.

OUR right and screw the HD and all those over paid morons.

Terry

Amen to that, Terry. Or, as you say in Wales ... "Tidy"!

Post It looks like Australia has its own share of muppets 
This just arrived in my mail box.

A suitably worded letter has been posted to my Federal MP.

Minister for Veterans' Affairs Subscription Service

VA004 Saturday, 24 January 2009

ABBOTT’S COMMENTS OFFENSIVE AND DEGRADING TO VETERANS

Tony Abbott's comparison of former Prime Minister Howard's Presidential Medal of Freedom and Trooper Mark Donaldson's Victoria Cross is offensive.

Minister for Veterans' Affairs Alan Griffin said today the comments highlight a fundamental lack of understanding of the service and sacrifice of Australia's military and its veterans.

"While rightly lauding Trooper Donaldson, Tony Abbott has then sought to equate a Victoria Cross awarded to a man who has shown supreme bravery under fire to save the lives of others to the medal given to former Prime Minister Howard,” Mr Griffin said.

“Such a comparison is offensive and degrading to those who put their lives on the line for our country.

"You can have a legitimate debate about the merit of John Howard's award. However, Mr Abbott's contention that political courage is ‘a higher and rarer virtue’ than physical courage suggests that he clearly sees Mr Howard's medal as superior to the Victoria Cross.

"The deeds required to be awarded a Victoria Cross are incomparable with the challenges of political life.

"Mr Abbott must have a complete lack of understanding of what our veterans and their families have given to this country, or the conditions under which they serve.

"I call on Malcolm Turnbull to ensure Mr Abbott apologises for his offensive comments and comparisons. It is the least our servicemen and women and our veterans deserve,” Mr Griffin said.

Note: Tony Abbott was a Minister in John Howard's Government.

Post Tony Abbott. 
Words escape me, but arrogant, ignorant and plain stupid come to mind. I know where I would like to plant my carbon footprint on Abbott. Andy.

Nothing less than a public apology should be made.

Mcdangle, I would like to place my carbon footprint somewhere too. And I bet it is very adjacent to where you would plant yours. Wink

John

Kuching.
Semengo 13 and Mcdangle, my aim to the anatomy of Mr Abbott is directed with the right toe of my best, highly polished, boot to the danglies exactly between your carbon footprints.

Ouch !!!!!!!! and may the pain be with you Mr Abbott. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Kuching.
My last posts seems a little harsh on reflection, but it was posted as a knee-jerk reaction to what the blighter had done in a moment of pompous self esteen having seemingly lost track of reality and his purpose in life.

We now elderly but at least tried and tested service folk who actually saw "the sharp end" simply deplore his kind. Therefore it is hardly surprising that we use soldiers terms and soldiers humour when confronted with such stupid insensitivity.

I don't know Mike; perhaps a good kick in the "danglies" would be the first time in his life that his manhood has been tested, not having, as have we, had service where the business has been going on with many of you at the extreme sharp end; in danger of losing more than your "danglies".

"We now elderly but at least tried and tested service folk who actually saw "the sharp end" simply deplore his kind. Therefore it is hardly surprising that we use soldiers terms and soldiers humour when confronted with such stupid insensitivity".

Right on Mike - Amen ra (so let it be)!

David

Post The Abbott award 
Yes it's us again in the Brandon Free Press.

We can categorically state that The Abbott Award for crass insensitivity and mind numbing stupidity, has not gone to Gordon ( I'll confess all for a couple of million quid ) Brown and the Government he allegedly heads, and I have been very careful to say, not runs, but to old Bud Abbott himself.

Well he makes me laugh.

The reason for this, is stated in his wonderful stirring diatribe, where he had the brass neck to say that the political world was much more hazardous than military service.

Presumably, he is talking about the likelyhood of him being found out fiddling his expenses (allegedly).

However, a disappointed Gordon Brown was heard to say... we have spared no expense... zzzz zzz zzzz

Yours Aye

Editor

You know what would be a hoot, if the Australian Government, decided to poke the UK one in the eye, by conferring on all those who supported the Australian contingent in the operations out there, (I think that includes all of us, one way or the other), the MBE or similar award.

Think of the political mess the Government would get into, and just how public it would be. The civil servants would be lined up ten deep to jump off of Westminster bridge, and we would all pay to see that. Mind you, I will not state here publicly, those members of our happy band, who would give them a friendly shove, but you might be able to guess who they are.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that the Australian Government give us anything, as I for one didn't do anything to deserve, but there are others out there who did. Just imagine the embarrassment and who the hell would try to resolve it.

We could smile in abject sympathy with the civil servants, then xxx ourselves laughing about it

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

Twisted Evil

A thought from the past!

In reply to our criticism of the award of the Antigua and Barbadu Independence medal to Lord J^ and some civil service minions, if I remember rightly, we were told that special dispensation from HD Cttee was not required because A & B were defined as Realm, of which the Queen, effectively, was Head of State, (and not as a Foreign State or a Commonwealth State of which HM was not the Head of State).

With Australia, at present, (but for how long?), a Realm country with HM as their titular head and a Govenor General, would not any medal that the Australians decided to confer on British Citizens be automatically accepted with permission to formerly wear without interference from the HD Committee or its constituent trouble making civil servants according to the same rules as for the A&BI medal?

LG 5057 applies only to Foreign States and Commonwealth Countries of which The Queen is not Head of State, as of course, does the rewritten 2005 rules which precluded the P^ from being worn (well they thought it would).

Wouldn't it be nice if the Australians could come out with a Commemorative Comrades in Arms Medal (with HM's Head on the obverse) for those Brits who served alongside them in Malay/Malaysia. The A&BI was, remember, a commemorative medal.

With what haste new rules would appear to preclude such a medal is anybodys guess; but of course they would have to explain, under the circumstances why Lord J^ and the cs minions could continue to wear theirs. I've no doubt that they could/would find a way.

Mind you, the Aussies are refreshingly candid and perhaps in less temperate language would tell the serpents to go away!

D^

David, I think it would have the C^S^ running for their straight jackets, of which Fulbourne in Cambridge has an ample supply. They come in a range of tasteful colours as well.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

This does not quite refer to a 'foreign award' but it highlights the lacklustre regard by governments (same useless shites downunder) when it comes to awarding justifiable recognition for bravery in the field, especially when it has prior recognition by foreign governments. Embarassed
You will notice it has only taken 40 years for various 'governments' ( I use the term loosely) to resolve this specific situation regarding the Battle of Long Tan in Vietnam. Twisted Evil

Then again,how many "celebrities", sportsmen, olympic 'heros' etc., have been awarded recognition without ever having worn a uniform ????? Rolling Eyes

Long Tan heroes honoured at last

Ian McPhedran
October 27, 2009 11:00pm
Courier Mail Brisbane.

MORE than 40 years after 18 Australian soldiers died in the Battle of Long Tan, the heroic band of brothers in arms will be awarded the nation's highest unit award.

The Honours and Awards Tribunal has recommended that men from the 6th Battalion's D Company should be given the Unit Citation for Gallantry.

The award has been made only once before - to the Special Air Service Regiment for its work in Iraq in 2003.

The Federal Government will also adopt the tribunal's recommendation to upgrade an award to RAAF helicopter pilot Cliff Dohle, who defied orders and flew vital ammunition supplies to the besieged Delta Company Diggers.

His citation will go from Mentioned In Despatches to the Distinguished Service Medal.

Mr Dohle died in February.

The tribunal rejected a push to have 12 soldiers recommended for MIDs because there was a lack of supporting paperwork.

How convenient was it that there was a lack of supporting paperwork for the 12 MIDs--let us hope that this issue is resolved sooner than later by the crudd government mismanagement.

full article at the link http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26270444-661,00.html

Observer1938, your points regarding the lack of paperwork support baffles the hell out of me.

I am assuming that the battle of LONG TAN, was suitably recorded and the deaths of the 18 Australian soldiers was suitably recorded.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what exactly do the numpties in the government think went on there. After all, does not the British government sweep under the carpet, things which they do not find palatable.

Between the years 1948 and 1966, many fine young boys went to war, in what can be best described as a 'police action.' A term that politicians eveywhere seem to insist on. I have no intention of decrying the heroic efforts of those police officers on the ground, in that sphere of operation, as they were more than equal to the task when it came to the really dangerous stuff.

We have only to hold up our own Roy Follows, in his extraordinary accounts of his participation, in his riviting book, 'The Jungle Beat'.

As previously mentioned, they went as boys and came back as men, to a country which didn't care, then, as it does not care now. They think by making a small gesture, that they have fulfilled their moral obligation towards us. Like hell they have.

Your point is also taken regarding sports personalities and 'celebs'. Just how do you get an honour for being a celebrity? Then wax lyrical regarding the integrity of the honours system.

I think that it is time to break out the straight jackets with regard to these morally bankrupt individuals. They know who they are, but more importantly, so do we.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next