Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Memories of 10 Port Squadron RE, Singapore - New!
Post Memories of 10 Port Squadron RE, Singapore - New! 
We receive many interesting emails from PJMers and they evoke stunning memories. Sometimes they tell a fascinating story that many of our readers will not have heard before. Hopefully, images accompany the email. Occasionally, the message also makes an important point about the wearing of the PJM.

A few days ago we received a message that contains all those elements and I wrote to the sender asking permission to publish our correspondence and the accompanying images. That permission was given without hesitation - so here is this fascinating story, told in the words of Jim Balmer, who served as an officer in 10 Port Squadron Royal Engineers.

While reading this story and reflecting on the evocative images, it is worthy of note that Jim served in Singapore between 1960 and 1961. The Squadron carried out some extremely dangerous duties – duties without which those ‘up front’ could not have operated. But like many others at the time, he and his men did not receive any recognition from the British. As he says, the PJM will mean a great deal to men and women like him and to those in his Squadron who have nothing to show for their service in the Far East.

Back to the story. We think you will thoroughly enjoy Jim’s account of his time in the Far East, and the images that accompany it. I know that I learned a lot. So put the kettle on and enjoy!

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_port_sqn_RE_1.htm

Thank you Barry for posting this.....and thank you too to Jim Balmer for providing an insight into an area of service of which most of us were hitherto unaware.....Great 'piccies' incidentally Jim!

P.S..... To the members of 10 Port Squadron Royal Engineers ...The MoD may not recognise your service lads.....but we, your contemporaries, most certainly do....

Last edited by 'Jock' Fenton on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Re: Memories of 10 Port Squadron RE, Singapore - New! 
BarryF wrote:
While reading this story and reflecting on the evocative images, it is worthy of note that Jim served in Singapore between 1960 and 1961. The Squadron carried out some extremely dangerous duties – duties without which those ‘up front’ could not have operated. But like many others at the time, he and his men did not receive any recognition from the British. As he says, the PJM will mean a great deal to men and women like him and to those in his Squadron who have nothing to show for their service in the Far East.

I would like to send a memo to Richard "Double Muddle" Coney, MOD Defence Services Secretary who 'deals' with medals.

"I know you read this web site. Please pay attention to this story - there are points to note (as we who served used to say). It just might make you begin to understand that while you whinge about your civil service 'workload', even contacting me to ask my help in reducing your work because you were getting aggro from your wife, others have had to leave their wives and families for two or three years, many putting their lives on the line, to serve on the other side of the world.

Many were conscripts and have nothing to show for it. Indeed, despite your assertions to the contrary, the majority of PJMers do not have a British medal. But the gracious Malaysians have rectified that appalling oversight.

You, Richard, were instrumental in having the double medal rule invoked to deny the British the right to wear the PJM, bleating on about risk and rigour which, as the Rt Hon Don Touhig pointed out in Parliament, is something you will never understand. Danger, fear, success should not be judged by the amount of blood spilled on any side or by any side.

Read this story and while doing so check the beads on your abacus ... none plus one does not equal two. Look up ‘humility’ and ‘service’ in your Thesaurus. You and the other civil servants who have repeatedly misled the world about PJMers might just learn something.

Err … then again maybe not. But Parliament is about to help you in that endeavour."

Barry

PS For those unacquainted with Mr Coney, read these papers:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Portsmouth_Today_24052004.doc

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Portsmouth_Today_26052004.doc

Never ceases to amaze me Barry, that those who pontificate about 'risk and rigor' are, almost certainly, individuals who have never even been within arms length of an angry man....

Jim, I took it all for granted. The stuff arrived. I didn't give a thought to how - or what it took. My grandchildren say "Thank you".

I would only add a brief word for Mr Phoney Coney from those same grandchildren - "Derrrr".

And from me ... Mr Phoney - as our MPs have said, you bring shame on our Queen and our country, but even greater contempt upon yourself and those in the Honours system. I understand from a well informed source that civil servants in the Honours Department are putting you and your mate Brennan up for an honour. Let's see what the Queen has to say about that! If she is allowed to have any say, that is.

That is one hell of a story Jim and thanks to Barry for placing this on the forum for 'all of us' to read.

I keep looking in the cereal packets, still no keepsakes yet.

S'Kev, if Brennan and Coney are to get gongs that means that they are being replaced like Chris Edge was so very quickly, you know get them out of the way before the proverbial hits the fan, both know it is about to happen very soon...........

I hope the replacements are not as arrogant, devious, unsympathetic, insensitive (I'm sure I've left a few things out), though I'm not holding my breath. After all they will surely come from the "same stable", as it were.

Of course, their own actions could now be open to question in supporting a colleague who could be guilty, if not intentionally, of issuing a false document (well, office note), by claiming it was on HM's authority to allow those eligible to accept the medal but not to wear it, when it required a Royal Warrant Sign-manual to authorise acceptance which might be expressed in such as that of the LG 5057, and should HM decide that it should it not be allowed to be formally worn (which is doubtful taking note of the LG and the reasons for it), Her Private Secretary was to be commanded and required to personally inform all of the circa 35,000 Service personnel individually as required by the Royal Warrant Sign Manual which covers both wear and 'restricted wear' (which he failed to do), a parallel of their own regulations, which state specifically, the rules for Unrestricted Wear, and Restricted wear which limited the occasions upon which Foreign/Commonweathl medals could be worn, unlike Part C of the 2005 rules which totally precluded the formal wearing of the PJM ( the LG having been "clarified' by FCO), completely in defiance of that particular Royal Warrant - Sign Manual and its rules and exceptions (and their own regulations), without ambiguity as to what must happen in each situation. Exactly that which was intended with the publication of the London Gazette 5057, dated 3rd May 1968.

Remember, we have been told that HM's signature or initials do not appear on any document stating that the PJM may be accepted but not formally worn.

I don't suppose that we shall ever be able to find out the truth by asking questions using the "Freedom of Exceptions* Act".

For 'Exceptions' read 'Information'; erm, er, I dunno; leave as it is!

Last edited by GLOman on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
It is my personal belief that the uncivil serpents were not aware of the London Gazette entry and acted completely in ignorance of it, this though makes their actions incompetence!

Once they became aware of the LG entry though they probably tried to cover up this incompetence which I suggest would make their actions ultra vires at the least or criminal at worst. There should be an enquiry into the actions that they took and heads should roll if any of the above is provan.

John

So! Coney et al are being replaced are they? The question is why? Surely if they had done the right thing and ably demonstrated that to all and sundry, there would be no such action. We then have to revisit the possible or probable causes.

HMG have decided that shifting the individuals concerned, shifts the blame. A new set of pseudo serpents will pick up the flag and keep the wheels of inefficiency turning until a new set of numpties are found etc... They obviously have more than enough stalwart serpents to fill the breach, quiety brushing the dead aside to another appointment.

With regard to cost, as I have said before, most never got a GSM for their service, and it is not costing the Government a single penny for the PJM. Why were those who are entitled to a GSM not given that award? Somebody must know the answer. Again is it a question of cost? What they have expended in time and effort getting precisely nowhere, could have funded a chestful of medals to each and everyone of us.

High minded lunacy springs to the fore regarding their perception of reality. There is a very quick and easily administered test to reveal personality. It is called the Luscher colour test. It provides unerring accuracy in personnel selection, where ultra high levels of psychological stability are required.

Bearing this in mind, Politicians and Civil Serpents are not given this test, because it is assumed that they are not psychologically stable. From a psychiatrists point of view, it might well prove to be alarming, that the majority would in fact be labled dangerous neurotics. Well, we've known that for years, based on past performance.

Providing Coney at al with 'gongs' for thier efforts, betrays the memory of all of those who died, not only in our particular campaign, but the many others.

A little word in you ear Mr Coney et al, don't wear your 'gong' anywhere near a veteran, otherwise you might just have it shoved up your rear end, applied with prodigeous use of a size ten boot.

Yours aye

Arthur

Arthur, I only take size 8's so I will need two swipes................you can't imagine the pleasure that that would give me Mr. Coney!

John

Last edited by jireland on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
You cannot do that John, that would be double... er just remind me once again, the old memory is starting to play tricks.

Mind you, we would all pay to see that one.

Yours Aye

Arthur

J

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1