Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Don Touhig pipes up again in the House
Post Don Touhig pipes up again in the House 
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2008-03-13a.193826.h#c16249

More chapter and verse from Meg Munn Rolling Eyes Regards Rob

I have added my response to the disinformation by Meg Munn on theyworkforyousites as follows;

The Imperial Honours system is an anachronism from the past. The so called ‘rules’ used by the bureaucrats from Whitehall are so contradictory and obscure in content that few politicians if any understand the garbage put forward by senior civil servants who earn a CBE as part of the course. I am a dual national, who served in the British Army. The Queen of Australia is happy for me to wear my Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal. The Ceremonial secretariat of the Cabinet office and the MOD say that whilst I can wear my medal in Australia I would be discourteous to the Queen of the United Kingdom if I wear my medal in the UK. What rubbish, especially given the London Gazette notice of May 1968 allowing those who are no longer crown servants to accept and wear foreign awards. This notice which has never been rescinded. The gullibility of politicians believing everything that is told them by the Sir Humphreys of this world amazes me.

Hamish

Spot on Hamishw. Succinctly put and says it all in a nutshell. There is just no sense in it. Well nothing that "normal" human beings can understand.

Best wishes,

John

Kuching.
I have added my response to the disinformation by Meg Munn on theyworkforyousites as follows;

The Imperial Honours system is an anachronism from the past. The so called ‘rules’ used by the bureaucrats from Whitehall are so contradictory and obscure in content that few politicians if any understand the garbage put forward by senior civil servants who earn a CBE as part of the course. I am a dual national, who served in the British Army. The Queen of Australia is happy for me to wear my Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal. The Ceremonial secretariat of the Cabinet office and the MOD say that whilst I can wear my medal in Australia I would be discourteous to the Queen of the United Kingdom if I wear my medal in the UK. What rubbish, especially given the London Gazette notice of May 1968 allowing those who are no longer crown servants to accept and wear foreign awards. This notice which has never been rescinded. The gullibility of politicians believing everything that is told them by the Sir Humphreys of this world amazes me.

Hamish

One can only assume Hamish, that elected MP's find it convenient to rely upon 'expert' advice from 'experienced' Civil Servants for a variety of reasons.....predominant among them being, that such advice absolves them of any responsibility to actually engage in conscious thought.

John Feltham
Posted on 15 Mar 2008 10:58 am

A few questions for the Permanent Under Secretary of State at the FCO, Meg Munn - however, I doubt that I will ever see an answer.

I am a UK citizen and now resident in Australia. On ANZAC Day I can wear my PJM, awarded for my service in the RAF during "Konfrontasi" during the early 1960's in Malaysia. But. If I happen to be in London on Remembrance Day I cannot wear my PJM. Why is that? What rule does this come under? I am unable to find such a "Rule". Perhaps they are the "rules" she claims she is going "to place in the "Library of the House"? What Rules will they replace? Were these "Rules" debated on in the Houses of Parliament?

Why does the Cabinet Office, Foreign and Commonwealth Office together with the Ministry of Defence still insist that that I am a "Servant of The Crown" some 40 years after I was released from my service with the RAF?

Why do these three Ministries refuse to accept HM The Queen's directive in the London Gazette, that states - "The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve that Orders, Decorations, and Medals, conferred with Her Majestys permission upon United Kingdom Citizens not being servants of the Crown by the Heads of Governments of Commonwealth countries as defined above, or of foreign states, may in all cases be worn by the recipients without restriction."

To my knowledge, there has not been a notice in the London Gazette rescinding that notice.

Further, why do these same three ministries still encourage PJM Veterans to wear their medals "as no one will stop them", when they know that there is a MoD directive to all former members of the Armed Forces that wear their PJM will be displaying "discourtesy to HM The Queen?

Do these three Ministries support veterans displaying "discourtesy to HM The Queen?

Finally, why do members of the HD Committee award themselves medals from Foreign Governments and give themselves permission to wear them?

John Feltham, Townsville, Australia.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1