Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Duke of Edinburgh
Post Duke of Edinburgh 
My letter to Duke today, he is an ex-serviceman who saw action and did earn his MID.

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh
Buckingham Palace
London
SW1A 1AA
Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal (PJM)

Sir;
I’m sure you are aware of the PJM Medal awarded to all Commonwealth Forces by the King and People of Malaysia for defending their Country from the date of their independence (31st August 1957) to the end of hostilities in 1966.
The United Kingdom is the only Commonwealth Country were permission to wear has been withheld by Her Majesty The Queen, why?
There have been over forty foreign medals since WW II were permission to wear has been granted.
Now when it comes to foreign medals if my understanding is correct Her Majesty only has to seek advice from Her Foreign Minister who in turn takes advice from the Civil Servants. So if this advice from the Civil Servants is flawed everyone along the chain gets it wrong and I claim that is just what has happened in the case of the PJM.
I ask you to look at the ludicrous situation were my Australian friend and I march past the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, he can wear his PJM I cannot. Yet we served in the same campaign are members of the same Commonwealth and serve the same Queen. This can not be justice for British Veterans it is discrimination within the Commonwealth.
Sir I respectfully ask you to use your influence to have this “no wear” rule overturned so that we who once served our Country can wear all our medals with pride.
I thank you for your time and look forward to your reply.
Kind regards

Paul Alders

Post Re: Duke of Edinburgh 
Paul Alders wrote:
My letter to Duke today, he is an ex-serviceman who saw action and did earn his MID.

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh
Buckingham Palace
London
SW1A 1AA
Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal (PJM)

Sir;
I’m sure you are aware of the PJM Medal awarded to all Commonwealth Forces by the King and People of Malaysia for defending their Country from the date of their independence (31st August 1957) to the end of hostilities in 1966.
The United Kingdom is the only Commonwealth Country were permission to wear has been withheld by Her Majesty The Queen, why?
There have been over forty foreign medals since WW II were permission to wear has been granted.
Now when it comes to foreign medals if my understanding is correct Her Majesty only has to seek advice from Her Foreign Minister who in turn takes advice from the Civil Servants. So if this advice from the Civil Servants is flawed everyone along the chain gets it wrong and I claim that is just what has happened in the case of the PJM.
I ask you to look at the ludicrous situation were my Australian friend and I march past the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, he can wear his PJM I cannot. Yet we served in the same campaign are members of the same Commonwealth and serve the same Queen. This can not be justice for British Veterans it is discrimination within the Commonwealth.
Sir I respectfully ask you to use your influence to have this “no wear” rule overturned so that we who once served our Country can wear all our medals with pride.
I thank you for your time and look forward to your reply.
Kind regards

Paul Alders

Paul., I hope he gets to read this letter, because did,nt he visit us out there sometime in 1965?...Rob

Paul., I hope he gets to read this letter, because did,nt he visit us out there sometime in 1965?...Rob[/quote]
THIS MADE ME THINK (THATS TWICE TODAY),AND YES DUKE DID VISIT IN 1965,I'VE EVEN FOUND A PHOTO OF HIM GOING PAST 'BULWARK' SHIPS COMPANY FELL IN AND CHEERING SHIP, AT TOP OF STORES BASIN IN FACT THERES FIVE PHOTO'S I HAVE,HE'S STOOD IN UP IN BACK OF AN OPEN LAND ROVER REGISTRATION NUMBER 69 RN 81!

Does that entitle him to a PJM of his own?
I wonder.

MIKE

ostler1 wrote:
Does that entitle him to a PJM of his own?
I wonder. MIKE

No, 90 days.

Yes , the Duke visited us in the jungle of Borneo and helped shift ammo as we supported a gurkha coy that had come under ambush We were firing 5.5 in support.

Post His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh 
Twisted Evil In view of the fact that HRH actually saw service under active battle conditions, could not the MHC draw the Agon's
attention to this, and perhaps, subsequently, confer the PJM on HRH. Whilst I would never wish to embarrass the Royal Family to whom I have sworn (twice) allegience, it would cause concern for those Very,very Senior Civil Servants and others in the hierarchy who would then have to decide whether:

To reject the offer out of hand or,

To allow HRH to accept the PJM but permission to wear officially will not be given,or

To allow HRH to accept the PJM without restriction (as they did with the GG of Australia)
before applying their own rules to the rest of us! What an uproar that would cause! or

Allow universal wear without restriction to ALL OF US!

Comments please

I was thinking along the same lines, the suits would SHOT themselves.
(never could spell)

[quote="Paul Alders"]I was thinking along the same lines, the suits would SHOT themselves.
(never could spell)[/quote]
TAKING MY QUE FROM PHONEYDICK,I'VE HAD A LOOK IN MY DICTIONARY (CONCISE OXFORD) REF 12 TO 'SHOOT' IS TO LET RUBBISH FALL OR SLIDE FROM A CONTAINER LORRY,IT DOESN'T MENTION HOW BIG THE LORRY WOULD HAVE TO BE ,IF THIS IS WHAT YOU HAD IN MIND.I HAD T-RUBBLE SPELINN 2

Here is a spell checker I came across in a R/Sigs mag. hope it is of some use to you.
Regards Bill.
My New Spell Checker
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea It plainly Marx for my revue Miss steaks eye kin not sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong or write
It shows me strait a weigh
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
(Sauce unknown).

Post Duke of Edinburgh 
I have received a reply to my letter to the Duke from Capt Oliver Saxby, asking which unit i was in in Malaysia and what medal i already have. I have sent him my answer;

1st March 2007

Capt Oliver Saxby
Temp Equerry to
HRH. The Duke of Edinburgh
Buckingham Palace
London
SW1A 1AA

Sir;

Thank you for you letter of the 28th February 2007, I think there may be some misunderstanding.

My service does not matter, what does matter is that 35,000 British Veterans are being treated like second class citizens compared to their Commonwealth cousins.
They have permission to wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal we Brits do not. This is discrimination within the Commonwealth.

I am part of a committee set up to campaign for the rights of Servicemen and Women who served in Malaya/Borneo. Go to www.fight4thepjm.org for full details.

The Duke of Edinburgh himself while on a visit to troops in Borneo did help with the ammo in defence of a Ghurkha Corp during an attack on their position.

I would like HRH the Duke of Edinburgh to intervene on our behalf,
Copy of my original letter attached.
If you need to speak to me you can phone me on ***** ******.

Many thanks for your time
Kind regards

Paul Alders

Just a thought ..perhaps the Duke has already recieved a complimentary medal , or is worried about the double medalling that was one of the original problems. Who Knows!!

Just a thought ..perhaps the Duke has already recieved a complimentary medal , or is worried about the double medalling that was one of the original problems. Who Knows!!

Post Re:DUKE OF EDINBURGH 
Thats why I started this train of thought last Tuesday.

Anyway, I wonder what HM the Queen would say if he pinned it on his pyjamas one night ?

MIKE O.
Ex RAF BORNEO (and soon to be Tower of London perhaps)

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1