Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 14 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Don Touhig has tabled a PJM EDM!
I'm sorry, but she did take the trouble to reply and being a PPS she cannot sign EDMs. She has pledged her support and if it comes to a showdown vote in the house we might be thankful for her support.

David

I'm sorry, but she did take the trouble to reply and being a PPS she cannot sign EDMs. She has pledged her support and if it comes to a showdown vote in the house we might be thankful for her support.

Spot on David.

I have just received a letter from John Gummer MP (CON Suffolk Coastal) who informs me that he has now signed EDM 375 and asks me if I would like to contact Ipswich (LAB) MP Chris Mole on this matter for his support. Perhaps we ought to blitz C Moles email inbox to this effect.

In passing nice of John Gummer to respond as he isn't my MP Smile

Post More EDM Signatures! 
It gets better and better and better ... every day more signatures!

Update as at 20/01/2007:

Measured by the number of signatures, Don Touhig's EDM 356 represents the 15th most important issue out of the 688 issues raised via EDMs in the Commons in this session!

359 signatures supporting the PJM! Magnificent support from MPs.

This list represents only a part of our Parliamentary support - some MPs are unable to sign EDMs because of their official posts.

Don Touhig's EDM 356 now has 150 signatures.

Michael Mates' EDM now has 65 signatures.

We've just added up the total number of signatures supporting the PJM in 2005/6 ... 359 from 194 individual MPs! Staggering support! And growing support!

Are a handful of civil servants going to continue to maintain that 186 MPs are wrong and a couple of them are right?

Our campaign has exceeded all expectations - especially those expectations of those Government Departments where a handful of civil servants are even now trying to find a way to say they are the only ones in step.

Read all about it at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/lobby_mp.htm[/quote]

If your MP isn't here ... drop him or her an email asking for their support (quote EDMs 356 and 375)!

Post 300%! That's the strength of our case. 
300%?

Did you know that Don's EDM 356 supporting our case has three times more signatures than the average EDM!

It ranks 15 out of 688 at today's date/

Add on the signatures from Michael Mates' EDM 375 and you can truly claim to have raised and supported one of the most important issues in the Commons this session as measured by signatures on EDMS!

Post Thank you, Mr Touhig. 
Email to Don Touhig thanking him for his support:

----- Forwarded by Barry Fleming/BAFleming on 22/01/2007 10:15 -----
"barry@fight4thepjm.org" <barry@fight4thepjm.org>
22/01/2007 10:13
To: touhigd@parliament.uk

Subject: Pingat Jasa Malaysia

To: Don Touhig MP (mailto:touhigd@parliament.uk)

Dear Mr Touhig,

A brief email to say thank you once again for your support for 35,000 British veterans who are seeking the right to wear the PJM.

Your EDM 356 has attracted astonishing support - 150 signatures so far and we have been told more MPs will sign up. In the context of 688 current EDMs this session, yours is 15th in terms of support (150 signatures) ... and it has three times the average support of open EDMs (average 51 signatures). These simple statistics underline the deep concerns of our elected representatives regarding the PJM recommendation and incongruous Ministerial Statement. It is clear that the majority of MPs agree with you, as do thousands of people around the world.

You may like to know that in my morning 'post' today I have received many messages from around the world telling me that your EDM and support from your colleagues in the Commons have been seen via the Internet in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA, Spain, Italy, France, Argentina, Finland, Vietnam and, I have no doubt, many other countries who have not yet written to me (but I think they will .... we at Fight4thePJM have supporters in 30 countries).

Men and women from around the world are indebted to you - ordinary people who have been denied an honour while the FCO ex-Honours Secretary involved in that discredited recommendation and in the emerging Ministerial Statement has just been awarded an OBE (and a wearable one to boot!). That's not sour grapes - I'm delighted for anyone who earns an award. But that particular award does not rest easy with me while men and women who put their lives on the line are denied an honour that their Commonwealth ex-comrades in arms have been given by The Queen.

And, as you know, it would not cost this country anything to acknowledge the service of veterans and to allow them a little bit of honour and joy as they grow older ... Malaysia is paying the costs in order to acknowledge what those veterans did to protect Malaysian independence.

The right to wear the PJM is a just case and your support will one day be vindicated.

Thank you again,

Barry
- - - - - - - - - - -
Barry Fleming
Fighting for the Right to Wear the PJM at
W: http://www.fight4thePJM.org
E: mailto:barry@fight4thePJM.org
"Pingat Kami - Hak Kami"

Stockbridge Cottage
Inkpen Common
Inkpen
Hungerford
RG17 9QP

T: 01488 668 100

Dear Sir,

Please accept this email as an expression of sincere thanks for your support of those British veterans who are seeking to overturn the disgraceful recommendation of the HD Committee which forbids them the right to wear the PJM.

We Malaya/Borneo veterans (British residents and many others, ex-patriates like myself) are indebted to you for your overt support of our just cause...and we are grateful for your EDM 356 which is currently receiving so much attention from your colleagues in the House.

Please maintain the pressure which you have thus far generated on HMG on our behalf...Let me assure you that the Malaya/Borneo vet's will NEVER give up this fight....we will do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes, to achieve justice in this matter.

Respectfully and with many thanks,

John 'Jock' Fenton
Address supplied

I too have sent off a thank you missive, this is a very supportive MP and ex Veterans Minister

I have just emailed my thanks to Mr Touhig for his excellent support.

I have just emailed my thanks to Mr Touhig for his excellent support.

Laurie,

Thanks for going the extra mile yet again.

As mentioned on another F4 Topic, your emails from Malaysia will have a great impact.

Barry

Have emailed a short thank you to Don Touhig.
Roy

Post Over 200 MPs have signed up! 
Follows wrote:
Have emailed a short thank you to Don Touhig.
Roy

Thanks, Roy. Your ongoing support is much appreciated.

Also, your support coincides with the news that 201 MPs have now signed EDMs supporting our case.

That's 363 signatures!

Do those civil servants still maintain that that Minsiterial Statement is acceptable?

See the EMD signatures at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/lobby_mp.htm

Post Latest from Mr Touhig 
This arrived this morning.

The tide is turning Gerry.With the influence of Don Touhig things can only get better for us.Thank you and all the committee for all the hard work you are putting in for the rest of us.This is for our comrades that didn't come home.

Rgds Ray

Even though I am now and expat and live in Australia, some time ago I wrote to my home town MP Angela Browning CON. Tiverton, to ask her to sign Don Touhig's EDM. I received the following response:-

Dear Mr. Nichols,

Thank you for your email concerning Early Day Motion number 356.

You may care to know that I do not sign EDMs because, despite the name “motion”, they are rarely debated on the Floor of the House. More importantly, Ministers are not even required to give a response. I therefore write to Ministers when constituents contact me about EDMs, so that the Minister is aware of the views being expressed and is required to give a reply, which I forward as soon as it is available.

I have, therefore, written on your behalf to the Minister with responsibility for Veterans and I shall, of course, write to you again as soon as I receive a substantive reply.

Yours sincerely,

Angela Browning MP

In spite of that response I had hoped that she would eventually relent and sign up but that hasn't been the case so perhaps there is someone in our group who lives in Angela's electorate who can write to her to give her a little more persuasion.

Reply to topic Page 14 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next