Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Veterans Badge
Post Reply to jireland from a comrade in arms. 
Dear Jireland.
We are all a bit jaded by now and my feelings toward our present Govt are just as contemptuous as yours. As for loyalty to my country or countries, since I am a born Englishman now living on my mother's patch in Scotland, remains unshaken...so far.
Think back all those years referred to by the quango and remember just what we did in Malaya (where I served from 1957-59) and Borneo. We were mostly little boys, because those in power are well aware that only little boys have the stamina...and yes... the inexperience, to do what they want. "All those years ago" however, we were serving under an unique banner....."Hearts and Minds." Our present Govt and the USA have used the term since...but only once did it work...and we both know where...just as our old mates do.
As a National Service man I had no choice but to get on the troopship and get off at Singapore a month later. Within two hours I was on a train to KL passing through an alien land. A month after that, dealing with the Chinese/Malay/Indian/and what we called Abos, when we caught fleeting glimpses......poulation began to form in my mind as quite normal. They all showed their differences, just as people from Yorkshire and Lancashire did back home, but they all had a sense of nationality and more importantly in my eye....A sense of humour. They had endured the Japanese occupation and were now facing the prospect of certain of their own inviting and encouraging humourless and very inhuman Chinese Communists to inflict THEIR terror. The situation had been going on for a long time and many of our troops had fought and died already. Thing is WE who went adhered to "Hearts and Minds" and in the years after I left it continued to work.
It worked once and once only. WE did it together and as much as I would like to get the right to my PJM I would equally like to see the enormity of the philosophy of H and Minds recognised as our success and never again be mentioned by our government or the Yanks.
Do not give up, mate. You are better than that..........Yours, Mike Barton.

Post Veterans Badge 
Did not know what it was at first but looked it up. Looks like a pretty useless bit of kit to me.

Mike Barton.

Post Re: Veterans Badge 
MB wrote:
Did not know what it was at first but looked it up. Looks like a pretty useless bit of kit to me.

Mike Barton.

Something is better than NOTHING. Grab it while you can.

Keith

________
Medical Marijuana Grow

Last edited by KJF on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
I can not believe that a person who served as a soldier, and on active service to boot! can call the Veterans Badge a "pretty useless bit of kit". Some of our comrades did not return from active duty to be able to claim the badge. When I wear mine, I not only wear it for myself, but for my mates and others who rest in foreign fields. When asked by my grandson what it is for, I replied that it was a long story but to sum it up in One word, I would use the word PRIDE!!. I will wear mine on Rembrance Parade and it will remind me of days long gone but which I will never forget. I played my part and I'm proud to have done so. Yours in Comradeship, Bob Thompson.MM.

Post Badges??? 
All this 'foofaraw' about badges.....it's been done to death already....

"Badges, to ***-****** **** with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you ***-****** ****** and *****' tu madre! Come out there from that ****-**** of yours. I have to speak to you."
....The Treasure of the Sierra Madre...(Book)

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
....The Treasure of the Sierra Madre...(Film)

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"
...Blazing Saddles...(Film)

I am humbled by the reaction but I will wear my badge with pride, not of my country as it is now but as I remember it and wish to continue to remember it.

I am English of Scottish ancestry and I am a patriot, all I want out of life is justice, honour and peace and prosperity all of which is missing from our political system, of ALL parties, at the present moment in time. Perhaps it will return in the future but it will only do so because of the example shown by the likes of those of us on this site who are prepared to stand up and be counted.

God bless you all.

John

I missed the last issue of Veteran Badges by 27 Days, I phoned yesterday (free number) for mine. Take about 4 weeks the man said that's okay said I, I have waited a lot longer to be able wear my PJM.

I quote from The Civil Service Code

'Impartiality' is acting solely according to the merits of the case............and that Civil Servants are accountable to Ministers, who in turn are accountable to Parliament

And then there is: "You must not ignore inconvenient facts or relevant considerations ..." Anybody received any answers to any questions recently?

And: "You must not act in a way that unjustifiably favours or discriminates against particular individuals or interests" Err ... discrimination is what that discreditied Ministerial Statement, drafted by civil servants, is all about!

The Code: http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/publications/doc/cscode.doc"

Some people are having difficulty accessing that document. Here it is in PDF format: http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/cs_code.pdf

Last edited by BarryF on Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

That page is no longer available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Crikey Barry!

That page is no longer available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Can't think why John.

Anyway, Fight4thePJM is always there to help out the Cabinet Office.

We have the Civil Service Code available to all from here in Word Format (handy for copy/pasting ... copyright ... means here right for copying!):

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/cscode.doc

and in PDF format:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/cs_code.pdf

Post Re: Veterans Badge 
George F wrote:
To my knowledge HMG (Ministry of Defence) have only officially awarded two badges (With an official Crown on it) in the past century to all services in HM Armed Forces.

That lets the Arctic Emblem off the hook! No crown - and no word 'badge'.

Anyway, I don't want to get too techie on a non-PJM issue - it might lead the suits to think we have taken our eye off the ball!

All the best,

Barry

Post Re Veterans Badge. 
My terse comment of last evening deserved a couple of brick-bats....so I'll explain my reaction to finding out about the badge.
When we were kids our mums impressed upon us not to accept sweeties from strange people....and what stranger people than our present government. Our mums would also dole out a sweetie to take away the taste of something nasty. I suspected that the government was treating us like kids again. Mike Barton.

Post Re: Re Veterans Badge. 
MB wrote:
My terse comment of last evening deserved a couple of brick-bats....so I'll explain my reaction to finding out about the badge.
When we were kids our mums impressed upon us not to accept sweeties from strange people....and what stranger people than our present government. Our mums would also dole out a sweetie to take away the taste of something nasty. I suspected that the government was treating us like kids again. Mike Barton.

Mike,

You're entitled to feel 'terse'. The ‘terse’ could be ‘werse’!

Getting back to the PJM, and extrapolating your ‘baby’ analogy, we are being taken for 'dummies' while being handed ‘dummies’ to keep us quiet.

They thought that we would be satisfied with receiving the medal. But then they couldn't help themselves ... they had to add words to the effect of "But you're not allowed to wear it!".

In the context of the PJM, that was red rag to a bull in my case. That was a spiteful and mean-minded addition to the decision.

When we questioned it with many relevant questions and concerns, we were told in April ... "You have not offered any new information so our decision stands". That's when we produced the Petition to the Queen and the Rebuttal.

What makes it all worse is that instead of dealing with the matter (one that touches on so many ordinary lives in so many ways) in an open and honest way, we started to get the myth and spin treatment from bloody-minded suits who simply cannot understand the difference between a medal and a trinket. That served only to make matters even ‘werse’.

And all that while being told “No matter what you say and do, nothing will be changed”.

No wonder we're all frustrated and well miffed. And the mention of 'badges' serves only to exacerbate the situation although I see the Veterans Badge as an honourable badge to receive. It can be worn throughout the year and helps identify you to others who also served in the Forces.

But back to the PJM ... that's an honourable medal. It can be received so it should be worn on the medal bar.

Any wear restriction to a receivable medal downgrades that medal to a souvenir and that downgrading makes a statement about the 'quality' of the medal, about the issuing country, about the recipient, and about the recipient's service.

Morever, because the Queen approved the PJM for wear by all other Commonwealth countries, the withholding of permission for Brits to do likewise makes a statement about this country (i.e. hanging on to its Imperial Honours System) and about this Governments's views of this country and of the veterans who have served it.

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2