Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Don Touhig Supports a Review
Post Don Touhig Supports a Review 
Go to this web page and read how Don Touhig asked the Government to review the PJM recommendation.

Thank you Mr Touhig - we veterans are grateful for your support.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm060706/debtext/60706-0840.htm#06070668001299

Barry

Post Don Touhig's support: 
The very best of news this boys!

Almost makes the pile of letters (and I mean PILE!) that some of us have written to Mr Touhig over the past year or so, seem worth the trouble...Mr Touhig clearly has the courage to take ownership of the problem that his government has studiously ignored for so long...like I say....the very best of news!

Most heartening!

Post Re: Don Touhig Supports a Review 
George F wrote:
But we still must not give up, until the HD committee have made a complete u/turn.

George,

This is just the start.

I believe that many of those in the HD Committee are beginning to understand why we are so frustrated - they are beginning to realise that they did not have all the info they should have been given. Nor could they have anticipated all the anomalies that have emerged from the recommendation. And I believe also that the Queen may well see it differently now that she knows the full story (which she has been given by us).

There is hope that this country may yet be seen to uphold justice for ordinary people.

Barry

I have absolutely no doubt that this will be resolved to our complete satisfaction very soon. Whilst many have taken part in this struggle it must be said that without the tenacity and determination of Barry I doubt that we would have got this far so very soon and yes, in political terms, this is 'soon'. Thank you Barry for your leadership.

As Liam Fox was sat listening to the speech made by Don Touhig as was Nicholas Soames and James Gray, I will send them the good news and point out that time is running short for the opposition to steal a march on the government over this issue. I will of course refer them to my friend the right hon. member for Devizes whom I have the honour to work for.

Regards
John

This is excellent news. Maybe "not the end, but the end of the beginning"
A great big thank you to you Barry and all of you who put in so much effort.
Hopefully we will all hear the fat lady sing!

Bob Bryant

Post And the next move is... 
Well it just goes to show how a determined letter writing campaign CAN bring about results...what we need now are MORE letters on the topic....let me respectfully suggest that if you, gentle reader, decide to join us in writing some of them (and I sincerely hope you will!) that a good person to direct your prose to would be:

Rt. Hon. Margaret Beckett MP,

The Foreign Secretary,

FCO, King Charles Street,

London SW1A 2AH

England. UK.

Can I just add my pleasure in the statement to the House by Mr Don Touhig MP, Sir, you have made my day and one week away from being 67 the best birthday pressie I have had for many a year, I applaud you and all the other supporters Very Happy

Post Mr Don Touhig - a Man of Honour 
I have just phoned Mr Touhig to thank him for his very accurate summary of our cause in the Commons yesterday. He seemed genuinely pleased that we had taken the trouble to thank him and he has promised to continue to support us. He has asked to be kept informed of ay developments. When I mentioned 19th July, he sounded very chuffed for us. He also chuckled when I explained that we would wear the PJM with impunity whilst inside the MHC but would have to remove it pretty sharply as soon as we stepped on to the pavement outside. Mr Touhig has done us proud.

Post Re: Mr Don Touhig - a Man of Honour 
GerryL wrote:
I have just phoned Mr Touhig to thank him for his very accurate summary of our cause in the Commons yesterday. He seemed genuinely pleased that we had taken the trouble to thank him and he has promised to continue to support us. He has asked to be kept informed of ay developments. When I mentioned 19th July, he sounded very chuffed for us. He also chuckled when I explained that we would wear the PJM with impunity whilst inside the MHC but would have to remove it pretty sharply as soon as we stepped on to the pavement outside. Mr Touhig has done us proud.

Gerry,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble doing that. I shall drop him a line.

Barry

Gerry, I think that with the plethora of 'commemorative medals' being hawked around, you should not worry overly much. I see (and bridle somewhat) many people wearing all sorts at Rememberance Day and we even had a honary mess member who was a civilian police officer wearing them as miniatures in his mess kit in the Sgts Mess in London!

I will wear this award with gratitude and pride in line with my other medals publicly and be damned if I will not. Wear yours also so that everyone can see them, you deserve it. Be a rebel for once.

John

We owe a lot to many many people but we owe a lot more to the internet, for without it we would never have got this far in 6 years never mind 6 months.
I believe that the internet has brought Oliver Cromwell's dream of true democracy a hell of a lot nearer, I hope so.

Thank you all for your help.

We owe a lot to many many people but we owe a lot more to the internet, for without it we would never have got this far in 6 years never mind 6 months.
I believe that the internet has brought Oliver Cromwell's dream of true democracy a hell of a lot nearer, I hope so.

Thank you all for your help.

Yes Paul agreed but we also have to thank you and others for your unstinting resolve with these MPs and Civil Servants by boxing them into a corner. Well done, we are a band of brothers which is an ever widening circle, this is not spin, this is fact. Cometh the day, cometh the hour.................

Post Re: Don Touhig Supports a Review 
BarryF wrote:
Don Touhig asked the Government to review the PJM recommendation.

Herewith an extract from Don Touhig's speech. You can dowload it and perhaps print it out and send it to your MP or any other interested party:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/TouhigD_HoC_060706.rtf

Post Letter to the Foreign Sec'y 
Herewith: a recently mailed letter to The Foreign Secretary....Our Petition and Rebuttal are in the process of being studied and Don Touhig's Statement (commented on in several places on this thread) has added fuel to the fire.....Please join us in writing NOW....A simple 'one-liner' is sufficient!
====================================================

Rt. Hon. Margaret Beckett MP,
The Foreign Secretary,
FCO, King Charles Street,
London SW1A 2AH
England. UK.

July 4, 2006 Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM)

Dear Mrs. Beckett,

I am reliably advised that you are the recipient of both, a copy of a Petition to Her Majesty regarding the Pingat Jasa Malaysia and a recently produced Rebuttal to the Written Ministerial Statement of 31st January 2006.

As a Party and Signatory to both of the aforementioned documents, representing the interests of many ex-patriate veterans qualified by their service to receive the PJM, and now resident in North America, I too have been provided with a copy of the Queen's response and I am writing to you today in an attempt to highlight the importance of certain aspects of that Petition and Rebuttal.

Any fair-minded person, provided with the facts of the case, as set forth in the Rebuttal could not fail to come to the conclusion that the decision by the HD Committee regarding denial of formal permission to wear this medal was taken in error. In short, the HD Committee simply made a poor judgment, a regrettable mistake, which has subsequently been exacerbated by a positive deluge of obfuscatory prose and a plethora of disingenuous statements, by public servants and elected officials alike.

My belief is that it is now time for the Government to accept ownership and rectify this injustice by encouraging an amendment to the recommendation and to the Ministerial Statement - and further, to make the case to members of the HD Committee, via them to the Queen, for the Pingat Jasa Malaysia to be worn by qualified British citizens.

What possible harm can the accepting and wearing of the PJM do to the Imperial Honours System and what possible harm can it do to permit ageing veterans the right to wear their medal with pride?

Yours sincerely,

John Gordon Fenton
(ex-Royal Corps of Signals & 17th Gurkha Division)

Post Re: Letter to the Foreign Sec'y 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Herewith: a recently mailed letter to The Foreign Secretary....Our Petition and Rebuttal are in the process of being studied and Don Touhig's Statement (commented on in several places on this thread) has added fuel to the fire.....Please join us in writing NOW....A simple 'one-liner' is sufficient!

Brilliant letter, Jock. I hope others are inspired to write along similar lines.

Barry

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next