Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Was it the last Straw?
Post Was it the last Straw? 
I and many PJMers have for some time been puzzled about one particular issue.

Jack Straw called for a review of the Foreign Decorations Rules in relation to the PJM, looking for support from those involved in making (up?) and breaking (down?) those rules.

But apparently what actually happened was that he was screwed - they didn't help out at all. What they did was to take the opportunity to insert a new objection into Foreign medals rules, and then invoke it and apply it retrospectively to prevent British veterans the right to wear the PJM.

Or is all that a misunderstanding. Are they as callous as that? I hope not. Let's try and find out. Here is my letter to Messrs Brennan (Cabinet Office) Keith(Ministry of Defence) and Edge (Foreign Office):

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/Correspondence/Brennan_Rule_Rewrite_261006.pdf

A double edged (scuse pun) sword I think Barry! Cut and slash as the Cavalry would say.

John

There is a 'get out clause' here Barry, you probably will not get a reply.
Rolling Eyes

There is a 'get out clause' here Barry, you probably will not get a reply.
Rolling Eyes

By 'them' not offering a reply, we may rightly take the view that the claim is true.

An opportunity has been given for the claim to be refuted.

We can but wait and see.

IMO it will be a long wait.

Post Re: Was it the last Straw? 
George F wrote:
BarryF wrote:

Campaigning veterans have managed to stick the 5 year rabbit myth back into the hat, and only its ears are still sticking out. They must be put back in if we are to officially wear the PJM medal

Yes, indeed, George ... and together with the double-medal myth.

I have added a paragraph to my letter to that effect and it can be seen by clicking on the quoted link above.

Barry

[quote="BarryF"]
BarryF wrote:

I have added a paragraph to my letter to that effect and it can be seen by clicking on the quoted link above.

Please accept my gratitude for writing that letter which I wish I could have written and so consider it written on my behalf, and I think on behalf of thousands of veterans all over the world. It says it all for me. Richard, Malaya-Borneo veteran 1963-1965.

Richard.....I'm confident that Barry will be grateful for your comments regarding his letter...It's true that few of us have his skill with words BUT....that should not deter us from writing letters of our own...No matter if they are less skillfully crafted than Barry's, the essential thing is to strike a blow by writing a few words of your own and do whatever you, personally, can to have this idiotic decision reversed.

Don't forget that there are many letters available on this Site and Forum, all available for 'copy and pasting' if you desire....WRITE NOW!

Post Re:Was it the last Straw. 
Barry., I think the main reqiusite for C.S. employees(suits) is a degree in " Reality Manipulation" it seems to me after reading all the replies you have had over the months since we started the Campain, its quite obvious that they are ALL very well qualified...... ".they will rue the day they took on the 60,s people" Rob Morris Cool

Reading between the lines on a lot of correspondence back from Whitehall, is that they know who we all are, they know who is a signatory and who isn't, they also are using 'bog standard' replies, you see they have to by The CS Code as long as you provide your name and address and are not abusive.

Now if for example you have not had a reply from Margaret Becketts Office, you are entitled to one whether it is from a Civil Servant or not. I have had all my letters to MB replied to by Ian McCartney, C Edge or someone else. If I do not receive a reply in say within 30 days I send the whole letter again reminding them of my rights.

I am awaiting several replies from others and one from Lord Whitty (they asked me in HoL if I had received a satisfactory reply) so be very persistent and keep trying until you do so. In saying that I am still awaiting a reply from Jack Straw but quite honestly I do not expect a reply as I am not a resident in his constituency and the PJM subject is no longer part of his current job.
I am very surprised though that not one personal acknowledgement from the hand of Margaret Beckett is forthcoming, but aloof is afool (sorry I think I hit the wrong cryptic key there!) Wink

BarryF wrote:

I have just sent this email to that stalwart supporter JohnI and thought it may be of more general interest.

- - - - starts - - - -

John,

I am not sitting on the edge of my seat awaiting the pronouncement of the HD Committee. We have made considerable progress over the last few months but we are working harder now than at any time before knowing we are up against it.

I have written another letter to Denis Brennan (and the other two in the Gang of Three). Many people were 'conned' (or Coney'd, as I put it) in 2005. Consider this outline libretto for a not-so comic Opera:

1. Foreign Secretary receives a request from the Malaysians to award the PJM to British citizens.

2. Jack Straw (actually Ian Pearson his behalf) sounds out the prospects of acceptance from the FCO Honours Secretariat who deal with such Foreign medal requests.

3. The FCO Honours Secretariat sounds out their MoD equivalent .. "We're generally in favour, how do you see it".

4. The MoD replies to the FCO ... "Not on your Nelly. It would mean we have to check records and be involved in distribution. Reject it."

5. Ian Pearson reports back that the MoD have veto'd the medal. Jack Straw is aware that the Aussies and Kiwis have OK'd the PJM for wear so he can't just trash the Malaysian request. He decides to ask the Malaysians to retract the request, give him a month to sort something out before re-submitting the request and asks for a review of the Foreign Decorations rules (a blueprint for a way ahead having already been agreed by the FCO and MoD).

5. FCO and MoD compare notes to try and find a way to deny acceptance of the PJM while maintaining some semblance of good relations with Malaysia and British veterans... FCO say "We have the 5-year rule to call upon but we're a bit weak on that one because we set it aside so we could accept for wear the last two requests - from Malta in 1992 (Queen was going there so we had to accept it) and Russia in 1995 (we needed to ingratiate ourselves with them cos they might do business and they have some very dirty Weapons of Mass Destruction."

6. "Bugger!" says the MoD "I know, why don't we take advantage of Jack's request for a review, review the 1969 regs, and slip in a few more objections while nobody is looking ... you know, the old favourite from MoD British medal rules, double medalling!"

7. "Great idea!" says the FCO, "You deserve a medal for coming up with that one. You draft it and we'll bung it in. Nobody'll notice we're using them retrospectively. We'll state it all as if it were true. You know the sort of thing ... everything is 'long-standing' ... you know, 'long-established' ... that sort of thing. Jack can slip it in to the Commons Library when he's next passing by. And Bob's your uncle. The job's a good'un."

8. "Fantastic!" says the MoD and FCO duet "And we'll tell'em we've gone out on a limb on this one. We'll tell'em ... wait for it , wait for it ... we'll tell'em that we've set aside our two rules so they can receive the gong and then ... wait for it, wait for it ... as you were! ... we'll tell'em that we've then invoked those same rules so they can't wear their souvenir! They'll feel bloody lucky we didn't just trash it and we won't hear from them again as they'll be busy playing with their new trinket at home. QED."

Caricature, maybe. But broadly correct. That is the background to my letter to the Gang of Three (attached - see quoted link above).

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1