Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Remembrance Sunday 2006
It is not so odd, every where I go I makea point of visiting War Cemeteries and signing the register.

Exactly so, John. It isn't strange "to those who themselves have been to those tranquil and serence places".

I'm also deligheted to hear from others of like mind - like you, JohnC and Pete.

I am looking forward to the time when I can wear my PJM at the Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing at 8pm and, with those bugles in the background, look at the panels with the 500+ names that I now 'know' and the other 55,000 that are remembered there - "He is not missing; he is here!"

Numbers are irrelevant. ' 1 ' is a terrible statistic. And there are so many other Memorials to the Missing to visit, including the one in Terendak Garrison, Malaccca, Malaysia ...

Barry

http://www.lastpost.be/index.asp

EARLIER THIS YEAR ,I WAS AT MENIN GATE@ 20:00,WELL BEEN THERE MANY TIMES,BUT THIS TIME I MET UP WITH THE OLDISH BESPECLED,CHAP BUGLER, THE ONE WHO WAS AWARDED I THINK THE B.E.M. FOR HIS SERVICES OVER 40 YRS,WE COMPARED BUGLES,AND I THOUGHT IT AN APPROPRIATE MOMENT,TO TELL HIM,THAT IT WAS ON HEARING HIM SOUND'LAST POST 'AT THE MENIN GATE,(ITS AWSOME UNDER THAT ARCH),THAT GAVE ME THE INSPIRATION TO LEARN BUGLE, AND WELL I LIKE TO THINK I'M HELPING MAINTAIN A TRADITION,THERE'S CORNET PLAYERs,TRUMPET PLAYERS A PLENTY,CHUCK A BUGLE AT EM ,WELL ITS A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT STORY,BUT WHAT REALLY MATTERS IS THAT SOMEONE HAS A GO,I BELIEVE IT REALLY ADDS ANOTHER DIMENSION,TO SERVICES,SO IF YOU SEE ANY YOUNG CHAPS OR CHAPESSES, GIVE EM SOME ENCOURAGEMENT,COS BELIEVE ME TO PICK UP A STONE COLD BUGLE, ON A COLD NOVEMBER DAY WITH NO WARM UP :JUST DO IT, ON CUE AIN'T EASY,NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU PRACTICE YOUR JUDGED BY YOUR FEW MINUTES.

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
EARLIER THIS YEAR ,I WAS AT MENIN GATE@ 20:00,WELL BEEN THERE MANY TIMES

Very interesting post, Pete.

I am planning an extended ceremony at the Menin gate some time soon - perhaps we could get you and your bugle over there, too. A few PJMers would add a certain je ne sais quoi to the proceedings!

I'd also like to arrange an 8 o'clock ceremony at other Memorials to the Missing such as Tyne Cot, Thiepval on the Somme, Loos, and Arras. Not on the same day, though!c Smile

Barry

Barry, my Grandfather is remembered on the Menin Gate so count me in.

John

WOULD LOVE TO DO THAT,DONE DUD CORNER TOO,YOU KNOW I DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE,(TREADING ON OTHERS TOES,LIKE BELGIAN VOLUNTEEER FIREMAN) BUT TO DO LAST POST AT MENIN GATE,WELL THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING REALLY REALLY SPECIAL, I'VE THOUGHT OF IN THE PAST JUST DOING IT,BUT I DIDN'T WANT IT MISUNDERSTOOD ,SO NEVER HAVE.STRANGE YOU MENTIONED ABOUT 20:00 'THIEPVAL',I STAY AT THE CAMP SITE IN AUTHUILLE, Arrow CAMPING BELLEVUE AND TRY TO DO LAST POST THERE OR ONE OF THE SOMME CEMETRIES AT EXACTLY THAT TIME,WHICH MEANS WHEN I'M THERE AT LEAST,I LIKE TO THINK THE OLD FRONT LINE IS COVERED.I'LL TRY AND UPLOAD A PICTURE LA ANGLAIS MARIN AVEC CLARION OK.OH ONE LAST THING YOU ARE BASED UP ALTRINCHAM RU NOT,MY FAMILY ARE FROM LYMM.THE WORLD GETS SMALLER.

Post A VC Winner 
I went to school in India and was mightily impressed to note that 'we' had an 'old boy' Victoria Cross winner whose name appeared on our Honour Board..

I have over the years collected what I could that had any mention of him.

Years later I set up a web site that covered the girls and boys schools

at www.vsdh.org/vsdh.html

it has a section for this man. F/Off Leslie Manser. 50 Squadron, RAF. VC.

In 2001 I was lucky enough to visit his grave, his VC was awarded posthumously.

see www.vsdh.org/vsdh/manser/index.htm

I also visited the crash-site of his Manchester bomber.

He is buried in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetary at Heverlee, in Belgium.

Would you believe that there are three VC winners resting in that Cemetery?

The other two are Flying Officer D.E. Garland & Sergeant T. Grey. They were respectively, the Pilot and Observer of a Battle aircraft that attacked the Maastricht Bridges on the 12 May 1940.

Would you believe that 'the suits' were in on that action as well?

The rear-gunner was an LAC Lawrence Reynolds. He was killed too but didn't get a VC. Another shameful decision made by the then MoD. Lawrence Reynolds is buried alongside the two VC winners.

EARLIER THIS YEAR ,I WAS AT MENIN GATE@ 20:00,WELL BEEN THERE MANY TIMES,BUT THIS TIME I MET UP WITH THE OLDISH BESPECLED,CHAP BUGLER, THE ONE WHO WAS AWARDED I THINK THE B.E.M. FOR HIS SERVICES OVER 40 YRS,WE COMPARED BUGLES,AND I THOUGHT IT AN APPROPRIATE MOMENT,TO TELL HIM,THAT IT WAS ON HEARING HIM SOUND'LAST POST 'AT THE MENIN GATE,(ITS AWSOME UNDER THAT ARCH),THAT GAVE ME THE INSPIRATION TO LEARN BUGLE, AND WELL I LIKE TO THINK I'M HELPING MAINTAIN A TRADITION,THERE'S CORNET PLAYERs,TRUMPET PLAYERS A PLENTY,CHUCK A BUGLE AT EM ,WELL ITS A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT STORY,BUT WHAT REALLY MATTERS IS THAT SOMEONE HAS A GO,I BELIEVE IT REALLY ADDS ANOTHER DIMENSION,TO SERVICES,SO IF YOU SEE ANY YOUNG CHAPS OR CHAPESSES, GIVE EM SOME ENCOURAGEMENT,COS BELIEVE ME TO PICK UP A STONE COLD BUGLE, ON A COLD NOVEMBER DAY WITH NO WARM UP :JUST DO IT, ON CUE AIN'T EASY,NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU PRACTICE YOUR JUDGED BY YOUR FEW MINUTES.

Pete
At the Colchester PJM ceremony a month ago there was a young Pte from 3 Para at the nearby barracks SHE played the Last Post on her bugle like I have never heard it played before (not that I am musically trained) but there wasn't a bum note to be heard.

Post Unifying a Division 
Mr brother-in-law served in the Paras and 28 Commonwealth Infantry Division in Korea.

I served in the Paras and in 28 Commonwealth Infantry Brigade in Malaya.

Here is a short poem that links our family’s connections with the same regiment and the same formation - the author was in 28 Brigade.

It’s one for November 11th. It’s called “Old Pals” by John Boyd, Royal Signals, King Troop, 28 Brigade, from his book “ Poetry Of The Korean War”.

Written in the context of men returning home from Korea and leaving a chum behind forever.

OLD PALS

We’ve just stopped here to say goodbye,
We’re on our way back home;
We wish that you were coming too,
At least you’re not alone.
Your cross is one of many, Bill,
In rows so neat and straight;
Your loss is one of many, too,
Goodbye, - Our dear old mate.

I read it in “The Call-Up - A History of National Service” by Tom Hickman.

Post A VC Winner 
John
I was interested that you mentioned the grave of Sgt Thomas Gray VC. He is the only ex Halton Brat to have won the VC and he is commemorated with his own window in the Station Church at Halton. And I share you disgust at the way LAC Reynolds was treated - not even a MID. The reason apparently was that whereas the pilot and observer were in decision making positions, Reynolds was not and therefore had no option but to go where the aircraft took him. If there is a Day of Judgement when all wrongdoers are called to account for their misdeeds, there's going to one hell of a queue (and I use that word hell intentionally).
Gerry

Post A Message to our Malaysian Friends 
Our friends in Malaysia know that we shall never forget.

And on 11th November and Remembrance Day we shall say when we remember those who didn't return home:

" Andai-Nya Kita Terlupa "

Barry

Post Re: A VC Winner 
GerryL wrote:
John
I was interested that you mentioned the grave of Sgt Thomas Gray VC. He is the only ex Halton Brat to have won the VC and he is commemorated with his own window in the Station Church at Halton. And I share you disgust at the way LAC Reynolds was treated - not even a MID.

All RAF VC10 aircraft were 'named' after VC Winners. Including Donald Garland VC and Thomas Grey VC (XR807).

See....

http://www.vc10.net/History/RAFVC10s.html

Today is the last working day before Remembrance Day and Armistice Day. This is the last day before we go out on parade to wear our PJM 'illegally' unless of course there is an 11th hour reprieve. Would not that be a very honourable thing for the Admiral to fall on his sword today?

Well my PJM had its first outing today at Calne for the Armistice Day Act of Remembrance.It was much admired and I have lived to tell the tale, no lightning bolts and no Beefeaters to cart me off to the Tower. Not even a Policeman in sight but then that is not unusual!!!

Tomorrow the Civic Parade and I will don my pirates bicorn and my batman cloak with my PJM proudly displayed on my State row with two fingers tightly clenched in the 'Flanders Salute'position behind my back.

John

Tomorrow the Civic Parade and I will don my pirates bicorn and my batman cloak with my PJM proudly displayed on my State row with two fingers tightly clenched in the 'Flanders Salute'position behind my back.

I just managed to delete instead of edit my last message!

I was saying that we are looking forward to seeing piccies of John in his pirate's titfa and Red-Riding Robes sporting his PJM with his other medals including his double medal that he has told Phoney Coney and the others about, which is something they say never happens.

I was trying to edit my message to say that I recall the double medal was a well-earned Accumulated Campaign Service Medal and the GSM.

Post The 'Colonel' of the probelm 
The BBC televised Remembrance Day at the Cenotaph in London. The civvy commentator 'done great', but the military advisor to the civvy commentator was excellent. He got off on the right foot with me by opeing his comments with words to the efect of ... This year there is a sombre tone about today's ceremony ... Men are being killed and that is likely to continue in the future ... I am reminded of Kiplings words.

And then he quoted from "Tommy".

Today, tomorrow ... we have both thanks to men like Kipling's son.

Please revisit the poem the Colonel quoted. It is at:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_kipling.htm

The message was clear. Yet again, 'Tommy' is needed:

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` "Chuck him out, the brute! "
But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

And we do.

If anyone would like a copy (DVD) of the Cenotaph Ceremony, please let me know.

Barry

PS For those reading this post before 1835hrs GMT, there's an interesting program "Kipling - A Remembrance Tale" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/listings/programme.shtml?day=today&service_id=4223&filename=20061112/20061112_1835_4223_24367_60). Let me know if you miss it ...

Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next