Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Armistice Day Saturday November 11th 2006
I would have told him to learn Arabic or Afghanistani!!!
John

Post Re: Armistice Day 2006 
GerryL wrote:
I also noticed that a couple of the RBL officials were wearing their single "commemoratives" in the place where their "official" medals would have been had they been wearing them.

This is the argument against the advice of many in the RBL - i.e. to wear an unofficial medal below the medal bar. If the person doesn't have an official medal, the Commemorative is the only one on display and appears to be in the same position as official medals.

I am not suggesting for one minute that that advice is official or that that advice is offered by some in the RBL in the context of the income that the RBL derives from some purchased Commemoratives.

Barry

PS And there are problems wearing a Commemorative on the right side - it's where some key medals for bravery are worn.

Post Re: Wearing the PJM on 11 November. 
George F wrote:
First official photograph of Members of the NMBVA Ireland Branch standing beside The Lord Mayor Councillor Jim Dillon MBE JP on the steps of Lisburn City Center shortly after the wreath laying ceromony to Professor Frank Pantridge memorial on 11 November was over.

Photograph taken by our treasurer's wife.

Our thanks to the Treasurer's wife for that brilliant image of NMBVA veterans.

Points to note:

1. Some were wearing their Fight4thePJM Lapel Pins - were the others diffy of a badge?

2. Not a single COmmemorative on parade - None (said with emphasis for he attention of our very welcome MoD/FCO/Cabinet Office 'honorary' visitors to this web site!

3. But three veterans were displaying their PJM medal ... with honour.

4. The Belfast Branch is a beacon of hope for the NMBVA - a new Branch only started in February this year and already heading towards 60 members!

5. Our congratulations to the Belfast NMBVA Branch Secretary whose inspiration it was to form the Branch - with considerable input from others he will say.

Post PJM on parade 
This afternoon I was watching the BBC's News 24 covering the opening ceremony of the New Zealand Memorial and the commentator said that the New Zealand goverment arrange to fly about 300 veterans over specially for the occasion, I noticed five or six veterans wearing their PJM's and towards the end the Queen was talking to some of the veterans as was Tony Blair

Lets hope that they were suitably breifed by our New Zealand cousins and Comrades in Arms.

John

I saw several on parade at the Cenotaph (on tele) but the one that caught my eye most was on the chest of an In Pensioner and it was on his main bar plain for all to see. Now I am sure that those gentlemen and their Officers do not give any offence to Her Maj so it would not be on a nod and a wink, it would have to be officially allowed. Barry, get your deerstalker on again and polish your magnifying glass, there is detective work afoot!!!

John

There were indeed several PJM's on that Parade this morning - mine included. Most were mounted on the main bar, one of my contingent only recieved his yesterday and has not had time to mount it with his GSM and LS&GCM. so he wore the PJM separately but alongside his other medals. Many more were eagerly awaiting the arrival of their PJM's and were then going to get them mounted as official medals. This whole business of medal wearing has been made quite farcicial really. While we are deprived of the right to wear an award given to us by a Commonwealth, all manner of what many described as "Mickey Mouse" medals are being worn on the official bar. One chap who is awaiting his PJM said to me "but we can wear beneath the official bar, surely?" "Nope," says I. "The Min.Statement is quite clear on that one - we have not been given permission to wear the PJM. No caveats, no exclusions, no opt out for a rainy day in downtown Crawley/Calne/Birmingham/Anywhere." "So, "says yer man. "I can wear any number of Mickey Mouse medals below the official bar but I cannot wear the PJM anywhere?" If I said that all of those who were listening were incredulous, would you believe me?
GerryL

Gerry, you are right, it is a silly edict that has been made even sillier by their (the governments with a small g) own prevarication.

John

Gerry, you are right, it is a silly edict that has been made even sillier by their (the governments with a small g) own prevarication.

John

Today I was at The Imperial War Museum, two of us wore our PJMs, my mate receiving his yesterday from The MHC, we had many photos taken round the museum including one in front of The Sunderland Flying Boat which was in the new £25 million Air Space hangar.

An American, ex US Coastguard Chopper Pilot approached us and asked if we flew these 'things', we said that we were ground crew. He insisted on taking our pics with medals on board. My friend and fellow forumite (Alex Carrie) was asked by said Gent what the medals were awarded for, Alex spent 20 minutes trying to convince this guy that the Queen will not permit us to wear the PJM but we were anyway, but that yesterday she met a lot of NZ guys who had received the same medal for the same conflict. It was really like trying to explain Cricket to a Yank, yeah, I guess you follow the drift.

There certainly were a lot of looks we were getting from both medals and badges alike. 3 people didn't know of the existence of the PJM so there may well be some new recruits joining in on proceedings!

One thing that impressed me was the number of youngsters wearing Dads/Grandads and Great Grandads Medals and a couple of youngsters asking what our medals meant. For a November Day Duxford was extremely well attended.

Good to see all these ceremonies taking place on a sad day made even sadder by todays events on The Shatt-Al Arab-Waterway Crying or Very sad

One thing that impressed me was the number of youngsters wearing Dads/Grandads and Great Grandads Medals and a couple of youngsters asking what our medals meant. For a November Day Duxford was extremely well attended.

John,

I have been a member of one Association for some time. One of it's primary aims is the promotion and encouragement of 'Remembering' across all age groups, but particularly in schools. From their web site:

Activities
The WFA is widely regarded as a first-class example of an historical interest group, with some of its members acting as subject-matter experts for TV, publications, tours, and education. In addition to the publication of our two excellent journals, we organise many different events for both the public and for our members. We also make available to members some exclusive products, services and discounts in our shopping activities, such as our renowned collection of trench maps. But the thing our members perhaps value highest is the comradeship and network of many others who share a common interest.

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/

I noticed that they had their own march past at the Cenotaph yesterday - which was very gratifying because the WFA was responsible for re-establishing the 2-minute silence at the Cenotaph at 11 o'clock on 11th November ... which some had tried to ... errr ... silence.

End of advert!

Barry

PS Did you see that revolt by veterans at a local memorial yesterday (or was it Saturday)? The tradition of reading out the names of the dead from their community was dumped by the local council because "it was a long time ago and we need to move on"!!! The veterans held their own Remembrance Day parade. Those veterans were not into the selective memory bit that is promoted by central and local government - just one of the sick side effects of that 5-year rule. We must fight it.

When the announcement for the two minutes silence was announced yesterday at Duxford, everyone stood still. The children were encouraged to take part in events in The American Air Museum, the Imperial War Museum did a good job yesterday and they are to be thanked for the ceremonies they laid on. ATC, Sea Scouts, bands, wreath laying and costumes of yesteryear by re-enactors with a military and civvy theme. Entry was free and donations were accepted and the main beneficiary was The RBL, at one stage the area around the M11 interchange was blocked with traffic, all in all a good day. Lots of GSMs on display but only 2 PJMs that we saw.

John Cooper wrote:

John,

I have been a member of one Association for some time. One of it's primary aims is the promotion and encouragement of 'Remembering' across all age groups, but particularly in schools. From their web site:

Activities
The WFA is widely regarded as a first-class example of an historical interest group, with some of its members acting as subject-matter experts for TV, publications, tours, and education. In addition to the publication of our two excellent journals, we organise many different events for both the public and for our members. We also make available to members some exclusive products, services and discounts in our shopping activities, such as our renowned collection of trench maps. But the thing our members perhaps value highest is the comradeship and network of many others who share a common interest.

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/

I noticed that they had their own march past at the Cenotaph yesterday - which was very gratifying because the WFA was responsible for re-establishing the 2-minute silence at the Cenotaph at 11 o'clock on 11th November ... which some had tried to ... errr ... silence.

End of advert!

Barry

PS Did you see that revolt by veterans at a local memorial yesterday (or was it Saturday)? The tradition of reading out the names of the dead from their community was dumped by the local council because "it was a long time ago and we need to move on"!!! The veterans held their own Remembrance Day parade. Those veterans were not into the selective memory bit that is promoted by central and local government - just one of the sick side effects of that 5-year rule. We must fight it.
This certainly seems to be a growing trend by central and local government, to tread our treasured memories into the morass they themselves have foisted upon us. Anything we hold dear is fair game for these cold, heartless Philistines. WE say how we remember our Dead, our Comrades-in-Arms, our loved ones who sacrificed themselves for freedom, not mealy mouthed so-called Civil(?) Servants(?) whose weasel words only serve to bring the day of reckoning ever closer! They really need to be careful who they upset on their way UP the greasy pole, those same people will be waiting for them on their way DOWN!!!!! Regards, Dave.

[url]http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/[/url]you see that revolt by veterans at a local memorial yesterday (or was it Saturday)? The tradition of reading out the names of the dead from their community was dumped by the local council because "it was a long time ago and we need to move on"!!! The veterans held their own Remembrance Day parade. Those veterans were not into the selective memory bit that is promoted by central and local government - just one of the sick side effects of that 5-year rule. We must fight it.[/quote]
MORNING ALL,THIS DECISION WAS HARD TO UNDERSTAND,AS IT WAS A VICAR OF A CHURCH,WHO MADE THIS CHOICE,ON THE BASIS OF IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO,AND HISTORY HAS MOVED ON ,NOT MUCH OF A PASTORAL CONCERN THERE THEN,AND REALLY DIFFICULT TO SAY, BUT IF HISTORY HAS MOVED ON ,SINCE THE VERY FIRST ARMISTICE DAY OR REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY,IN LESS THAN 100 YEARS,WELL WHAT ARE WE CELEBRATING ON CHRISTMAS DAY 2006 Question ,MY MATHS MAKE THIS PIECE OF HISTORY EVEN LONGER AGO,AND I SAY THIS AS ONE WHO ATTENDS CHURCH REGULAR. OUR CHURCH WAS FULL TO CAPACITY YESTERDAY,STANDING ROOM ONLY,WITH GUIDES ,SCOUTS,AND PARENTS,GOOD TO SEE AS ONLY A FEW YEARS AGO,IT WAS ON THE VERGE OF BEING DROPPED ALTOGETHER, A FEW YEARS AGO,AND AS THE EVENTS OF YESTERDAY AFTERNOON SHOW ,THE LOSS GOE'S ON, I DID MY OLD BUGLE AND RIG BIT,BUT NO PJM FOR ME JUST YET, I TRY TO EXPLAIN TO THE CONGREGATION,MY CONTRIBUTION TO THE SERVICE, IT GOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS,' I WEAR THIS UNIFORM ,NOT TO ATTRACK ATTENTION TO SELF, I/WE ,WHO HAVE AND STILL SERVE,ARE NOT SUPERMEN ,OR SPECIAL, I HAVE SERVED MY COUNTRY,BUT THOSE WHO KNOW ME ,WILL KNOW, THAT I'M A HUSBAND, A FATHER, A BROTHER AND UNCLE ALSO,AND EVERYONE LOST ,BELONGS TO SOMEONE'.ONE THING MORE ,FOR I'M SURE BARRY KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT,BUT I'M SURE ,HE WILL NOT MIND ME SPELLING , THE NAME OF THE VILLAGE,NEAR FOSSE 8 AS' LOO'S, NOT LOSS',AS TO THE UNITIATED, IT MIGHT CONFUSE, WHAT HE IS EXPLAINING.

... AND I SAY THIS AS ONE WHO ATTENDS CHURCH REGULAR. OUR CHURCH WAS FULL TO CAPACITY YESTERDAY,STANDING ROOM ONLY,WITH GUIDES ,SCOUTS,AND PARENTS,GOOD TO SEE AS ONLY A FEW YEARS AGO,IT WAS ON THE VERGE OF BEING DROPPED ALTOGETHER.

Thanks, Pete.

There is hope yet.

So long as we don't let these over-5-years therefore of no import merchants get away with it.

ro5=6372 wrote:
... THE NAME OF THE VILLAGE,NEAR FOSSE 8 AS' LOO'S, NOT LOSS',AS TO THE UNITIATED, IT MIGHT CONFUSE, WHAT HE IS EXPLAINING.

Indeed, Pete. Spelled as Loos and pronounced by the French as Loss!

All the best - and thanks for your continuing support.

Barry

As usual I was on 'parade' on Remembrance Sunday at Newcasle Under Lyme Staffs.
Although I did not see any Govt PJM infringement officers in attendance, a reporter/photographer from the local newspaper ,'The Sentinel', was there. and took the enclosed photograph. In making sure my PJM was prominent, he missed my Merchant Navy vets badge[img]
[/img]

Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next