Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Re: More discrimination from the Ministerial Statement
Post Re: More discrimination from the Ministerial Statement 
We know the Ministerial Statement discriminates as between Commonwealth countries - everyone can wear the PJM ... except British veterans.

We know the Ministerial Statement discriminates as between those who have a medal for service in Malaya-Borneo-Singapore ... and those who do not.

We know the Ministerial Statement discriminates as between British citizens - those with dual nationality can (according to some, but not all, in the Cabinet Office) wear their PJM abroad but never in the UK ... while those with single British nationality must never wear their PJM anywhere in the world.

We know the Ministerial Statement discriminates as between Commonwealth forces who served together - all contingents to the 28th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade can wear their PJM ... except the British.

But did you know that the Ministerial Statement discriminates as between men in the same unit? The Life Guards is an example and I have written about this to an ex-Life Guards Officer (Lord Astor of Hever, Conservative Shadow Defence Minister in the Lords):

- - - - - - begin - - - - -

Lord Astor. Sir.

Firstly please accept my apologies for contacting you directly but being an Ex Life Guard and a US citizen I thought that as an Ex Life Guard Officer, and member of the House of Lords, you may now be in a position to help me and other Ex members of our regiment.

I am ex CoH Frape KJ, like yourself, late of The Life Guards.

My first posting after graduating from the Junior Leaders Regiment RAC. was to fly out to the Far East and join the regiment in Seremban in late June 1966.
C Sqn. was still deployed in Borneo at the time and I was attached to B Sqn. in Paroi, awaiting their return.

As you may or may not be aware we, the British veterans, are now being offered the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal by the Malaysian government for our service during the confrontation and as such my service time in Malaysia falls within the start and ending date of 31 December 1966 (due to the cooling off period as laid out by the Malaysians).
I, like many officers and other ranks of the Life Guards, RHG and attached personnel are entitled to receive this medal and I have applied for it through the correct channels.

Unlike those members of C Sqn, we are NOT entitled to the GSM 1962 Bar issued for Borneo.

So the PJM will be the ONLY medal and recognition for my/our time served during the hostility dates and qualifying days as laid out by the Malaysian government.

What saddens me is the fact that we are being denied the right and formal permission to actually wear it when we get it.

Yes I know all the half baked and twisted tales and so called rules governing our medal, thrown around by various departments of government, the MoD and HD committee members, and those who claim to advise Her Majesty in the correctness of these matters.
None of which hold enough water to float a paper boat!

The New Zealand and Australian Governments have embraced this medal for their Veterans and are only to delighted to allow it to be worn and I might add, with the permission of Her Majesty.

It is a poorly fudged and cobbled together set of conflicting statements (so called rules) that nobody in the correct seats of power feel we should have corrected.

The press and other members of Parliament are now starting to take notice of our plight and fight!

Can you on behalf of yourself, myself and many others of The Life Guards, attached RHG and other arms, AAC, Pay Corps, ACC, R. Sigs. etc. ask that this be addressed and corrected so we, as ex service persons may wear our medal not only with pride but with the formal permission of Her majesty the Queen.

This affects roughly 35,000 Veterans and is very important to each and every one of us.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this Sir.

For complete and up to date information about the fight to reverse this situation, please look at the following site.
It will bring you up to date and answer many questions and give you great facts and ammunition for taking the fight forward.

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/

Regards.
Keith J Frape.
Ex CoH . LG. 1966 -1983
South Carolina. USA.

- - - - - - ends - - - - -
________
Jeep Fj Specifications

Last edited by KJF on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
That is a corker Keith, thanks for sharing it.

Post Re: More discrimination from the Ministerial Statement 
KJF wrote:
We know the Ministerial Statement discriminates

Great letter Keith.

I knew a lot of men in the Commwealth Brigade and many felt aggrieved they did not have a medal. Now they are more aggrieved because they still don't have one but the other Commonwealth contingents do. The Ministerial Statement created that discrimination.

Your letter emphasises the discrimination and points out that it's time the Statement was changed.

Kev.

What a sad state of affairs HM Government has left us in. All from the behaviour of HM Government Ministers and their uncivil servants.

Unconscionable behaviour.

This is another example of their mean-minded spirit - there's too many of these sad stories around.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1