Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
The Story of a Fight4thePJM Lapel Badge and Thomas Griffiths
Post The Story of a Fight4thePJM Lapel Badge and Thomas Griffiths 
Civil servants concocted a confused and mean-spirited decision to deny British PJMers the right to wear their medal - a ban that also withholds that honour from next of kin.

They based that decision on their 'view' that it was all too long ago to matter to anybody. Anyway, they would say, who can remember anything about what happened so far away?

Well, we can. And, more importantly, so can the widows and families of those who did not return.

Those soulless civil servants would do well to spend just a few moments remembering that many gave their lives for Malaysia’s Independence. The Malaysians remember - that’s why they are presenting the PJM.

A few days ago the Durham Light Infantry remembered. And at their Regimental reunion they raised some money from the sale of the Fight4thePJM Lapel Badge which will be used to pay for an inscription - an inscription on a Memorial to Private Thomas Griffiths.

Thomas Griffiths was killed in early 1966 on one of the secret cross-border Claret operations. His comrades carried his body ten miles back into Sarawak.

And so, HD Committee members, and Messrs Keith, Coney, Edge and Brennan, when you consider what we are saying about why the honourable PJM should be worn, when you are desperately trying to defend the indefensible, remember this story. Read about Thomas Griffiths and the Forgotten War here:

http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk/2004/3/10/59263.html

PS Thomas Griffiths was three days away from his 21st birthday when he was shot through the heart.

Perhaps Messer's Coney and Edge, along with others of their ilk, would care to see another reminder of the 'Emergency' and 'Konfrontasi'. Pictured below is the Memorial Wall at the Terendak Military Cemetery. Inscribed here are the names of 190 individuals from all parts of the Commonwealth who made the ultimate sacrifice but have no known graves, they lie where they fell.

They did their duty, Mr Coney and Mr Edge. Now let's see you do yours!

They did their duty, Mr Coney and Mr Edge. Now let's see you do yours!

Yes, Laurie.

And Mr Denis Brennan.

Post Re: The Story of a Fight4thePJM Lapel Badge and Thomas Griff 
BarryF wrote:
Those soulless civil servants would do well to spend just a few moments remembering that many gave their lives for Malaysia’s Independence. The Malaysians remember - that’s why they are presenting the PJM.

I doubt that those civil servants have any idea of the importance of this medal to Malaysia nor of its meaning to those of us who were out there.

I can remember how delicately balanced the political situation was in SE Asia. It could have gone either way. China, Russia and Indonesia did not want newly Independent Malaysia to survive and they almost achieved their ambitions to destabilize the area.

But they did not succeed. We did, in conjunction with the Malaysians, but at a cost on all sides.

That's why we all remember what those disgusting civil servants will never understand, and why, thanks to this Fight4thePJM campaign, the Pingat Jasa Malaysia will one day be worn with honour by the British.

Kev.

(Ex-Claret Ops)

Post Mike Kelly 
I read Mike Kelly's book some months ago. It brought home to me what a tough time some units like the DLI had.

Hamish

Post DLI 
I read with interest Mike Kelly's article. I was on a Whirlwind crew attached to the HQ Coy DLI at Balai Ringin in 1966. In fact, I was sent there from Kuching just before Christmas 1965 and I took part in the changeover when the Green Jackets handed over to the DLI and I stayed with them for the next few months. The Helicopter Tasking Officer was the RSM, Mr Ford, and I must say that we blue jobs got on very well with him. By the time I returned to Kuching I could almost understand Geordie speak. We worked a lot with a couple of Pioneers, a Corporal and a Lance Corporal, whose names escale me through the mists of time. I remember that one of them was named Matt - I think the Corporal. They were a great bunch of lads.
Gerry

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1