Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 5 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Contact with MPs
Post Race Relations Act. 
Perhaps I am aiming too high in this fight to blow the elitists from their perch so could someone tell me whether or not we veterans are being discriminated against and in such a manner that the discrimination is in breach of the Race Relations Act, 1976, and amendments.
Under the Race Relations Act it is unlawful to discriminate against anyone on grounds of race, colour, nationality (INCLUDING CITIZENSHIP), or ethnic or national origin.
The Race Relations Act also applies to public authorities in several ways, one of them being - in carrying out any of its functions, it is unlawful for a public authority to do an act which constitutes discrimination.
I realise that this Act may not fully cover the discrimination by the HD Committee by not allowing us to wear the PJM when the Queen has permitted the Australian and New Zealand veterans to wear it ie. British Citizens will not wear it but others can. However, it is part of our law and if we can show that 'Because we are British Citizens we have been discriminated against by a public authority (the government and its quango) then we would really make them sit up and take note.
Also this Act shows just how antiquated the rules are. Baroness Symonds is reported as saying 'All British Citizens require permission....' Perhaps we should advise 'them' and tell them to get out of bed, smell the coffee, open the front door and walk out into the 21st. century.
A criminal case may never be considered but imagine the publicity if we even started questioning them on this subject, and I really do believe at this moment in time that the government should look at their legislation in regard to honours and decorations as it seems that they are being discriminatory which is against the law.
What do you think chaps?

Post TheyWorkForYou 
I've just visited this site and noticed that yesterday they debated the Royal Tournament. Mr Touhig made an interesting comment about a much-bemedalled constituent of his. I have added some suitable comments, and the though occurred to me that some of you guys might like to strike while the iron's hot.
GerryL
Fight fot the right to wear the PJM

Post Re: Race Relations Act. 
mcdangle wrote:
Perhaps I am aiming too high in this fight to blow the elitists from their perch so could someone tell me whether or not we veterans are being discriminated against and in such a manner that the discrimination is in breach of the Race Relations Act, 1976, and amendments.
Under the Race Relations Act it is unlawful to discriminate against anyone on grounds of race, colour, nationality (INCLUDING CITIZENSHIP), or ethnic or national origin.
The Race Relations Act also applies to public authorities in several ways, one of them being - in carrying out any of its functions, it is unlawful for a public authority to do an act which constitutes discrimination.
I realise that this Act may not fully cover the discrimination by the HD Committee by not allowing us to wear the PJM when the Queen has permitted the Australian and New Zealand veterans to wear it ie. British Citizens will not wear it but others can. However, it is part of our law and if we can show that 'Because we are British Citizens we have been discriminated against by a public authority (the government and its quango) then we would really make them sit up and take note.
Also this Act shows just how antiquated the rules are. Baroness Symonds is reported as saying 'All British Citizens require permission....' Perhaps we should advise 'them' and tell them to get out of bed, smell the coffee, open the front door and walk out into the 21st. century.
A criminal case may never be considered but imagine the publicity if we even started questioning them on this subject, and I really do believe at this moment in time that the government should look at their legislation in regard to honours and decorations as it seems that they are being discriminatory which is against the law.
What do you think chaps?

Actually looking at this in more detail we could claim that we have been discriminated against racially in as much as the Queen has approved the wearing of the PJM to Australians and New Zealanders but not to Britishers

What say you all.......?

Post Re: Response from 10 Downing Street... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Rec'd 5 minutes ago in my morning mail:

...from 'The Direct Communications Unit' 10 Downing Street. (read: 'flunky'!)

...this letter assures me that Mr Blair is grateful for my letter, and that he regrets not being able to respond personally...he knows that I will appreciate that he receives many thousands of letters each week.

...Mr Blair recognises that the issue I raise 'is the responsibility of the MoD and he has directed that my letter be forwarded to that department so that they are also aware of my views.'

Not exactly the response for which I had hoped...but, nothing daunted, I'm now looking about for other targets...

'Jock'

As this is a campaign how many on this forum could we muster at exactly the same time worldwide to send a message to our Prime Minister here

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/page821.asp

It really would have to be a concerted effort worldwide bringing in Canada/USA/ANZACS etc where we all hit the button at the same time. The same letter through and through but individually signed where a response is needed. What say you?

Post I'm in... 
Count me in pal...
...all you have to do is tell me WHAT (you wish me to send?)...WHO (do you wish me to send it to?...presumably .http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/page821.asp )...and WHEN (at what time/date do you wish me to send it?

'Jock'.

Post Re: I'm in... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Count me in pal...
...all you have to do is tell me WHAT (you wish me to send?)...WHO (do you wish me to send it to?...presumably .http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/page821.asp )...and WHEN (at what time/date do you wish me to send it?

'Jock'.

What we need Jock is a 'general' letter that we can send to Blurr and his cronies that is getting our point across, referring to the 'cannot wear the PJM' injustice and hit his office simultaneously from around the world. You guys could compose something better than I, so what do you reckon?

Post Re: I'm in... 
John Cooper wrote:
What we need Jock is a 'general' letter that we can send to Blurr and his cronies that is getting our point across, referring to the 'cannot wear the PJM' injustice and hit his office simultaneously from around the world. You guys could compose something better than I, so what do you reckon?

John's suggestion, seconded by Jock and now thirded by me is ergo probably regarded as being agreed as a good idea by our very own quorum. I have therefore set up a new subject in the forum - see "Zap'em". There you can register to be part of this mass mailing campaign. We'll draft a letter that we can all use. Subject: 'formal'. I would also like to add Subject: 'Are the criteria different for the Brits?'

Post Re: Followup post to Shadow Prime Minister's secretary 
George F wrote:
When 90% of the armed forces used in the 1950/60s Malaya Borneo campaigns were UK citizens, surely yourself and the Shadow Prime Minister must agree, this decision by Mr Blairs government is nothing other than an insult to 35,000 veterans by the Labour Party, considering the double standard hypocrisy by Gordon Brown's launch of "Annual day to honour UK veterans"?

Great stuff, George!

I'm not taking anything away from our Commonwealth comrades-in-arms when I mention (and they wil be the first to say "OK to mention") that the Brits were the only ones to serve in all parts of what is now Malaysia for the whole period of the PJM without any respite.

'Jock' Fenton wrote:

...Mr Blair recognises that the issue I raise 'is the responsibility of the MoD and he has directed that my letter be forwarded to that department so that they are also aware of my views.'

'Jock'

And there was I thinking that all this time, that it was the responsiblity of the FCO?

I do wish that **they** would make their minds up.

Post TheyWorkFor You (if you believe that!) 
Just posted a response to Hamish's missive.

Post Whoops" 
Forgot to attach the comments.

Hamish Waters makes a very valid point. A Government that purports to champion open government, endorses the disgraceful decisions of an unelected Quango with reference to the PJM. The Veteran's Agency, supposedly set up to champion the issues of the nation's veterans, sits on its hands and seems unable to give a straightforward answer to the straightforward question - "what is meant by formal wear?" The British veterans of the Malaya/Borneo conflicts have been relegated to second class citizenship by the very Government that has recently announced a National Veteran's Day. The veterans have been insulted and the ultimate sacrifice made by some many of our comrades has been trivialised. The Malaysian, a warm and friendly nation have been snubbed and treated like an old colony from the days of Empire. I, who served my country for many years that included the Borneo Campaign, am now ashamed to be British. The sense of fairness, decency and integrity that were once bywords for the British way of life has been corrupted to that of a banana republic. It is time to correct this dreadful anomaly between the treatment of the British veterans and their comrades from the rest of the Commonwealth.
Gerald Law (ex RAF Borneo veteran)

Iceni wrote:
'Jock' Fenton wrote:

'Jock'

And there was I thinking that all this time, that it was the responsiblity of the FCO?

I do wish that **they** would make their minds up.

.....Since I agree with Iceni's comment...sent this morning to Mr. G. Edwards of the 'Direct Communications Unit'...just a wee extra twist of my 'Skean Dubh'...

Dear Mr Edwards,

I am in receipt of your communication of 22 February 2006, which you issued in response to my February 9th letter to the Prime Minister, on the topic of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia.

The final paragraph of your acknowledgement indicates that the matter I have raised is 'the responsibility of the Ministry of Defence'...permit me to enlighten you...governance of protocol regarding acceptance and wear of military decorations is NOT within the purview of the MoD...it is rather, the responsibility of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

You appear, therefore, to have forwarded my letter inappropriately.

What, if anything, can you now do to correct the situation?

Post Letters to Mp's 
Follows: the text of a letter which I have 'ghost written' and forwarded to all of my UK resident correspondents...for further transmission, via 'snail mail' to their respective MP...Feel free to copy the text if you so desire... (perhaps it might prove useful on the 'Stuck 4 Words' thread Barry?)
Regards......'Jock'

(Your address here)

To: (your Mp's name here)
House of Commons,
Westminster,
London SW1A 0AA
Subject: Pingat Jasa Malaysia

(enter date)

Dear Sir:

Please accept this letter as an expression of my extreme disappointment at the recent decision reached by Her Majesty's advisors, who comprise the HD Committee, regarding conditional acceptance of the PJM.

To tell 35,000 loyal military ex-servicemen and women that they may accept a medal, which they will not be permitted to wear, defies all logic. On one hand, two rules (double-medalling and events over 5 years ago) are waived to permit acceptance and then, paradoxically, are immediately resurrected as reasons for the medal not to be ‘formally’ worn.

This decision denigrates the loyalty and service of the affected veterans. In addition, it demeans the sacrifice made by those who fell during the course of those conflicts. It also offers unwarranted insult to the Agong, Government and peoples of Malaysia.

Furthermore, it places Her Majesty the Queen in the invidious position of having told her British veterans that they are to accept rights inferior to those, which she has previously conferred upon their Commonwealth comrades, with identical service.

I would be most grateful if I might count on your support in the matter of having this decision rescinded.

An early response to this communication would be greatly appreciated.

Your Constituent,

(Sign and mail...NO POSTAGE REQUIRED.)

Post Letters to Mp's 
Follows: the text of a letter which I have 'ghost written' and forwarded to all of my UK resident correspondents for further transmission, via 'snail mail', to their respective MP...Feel free to copy the text if you so desire...
(perhaps it might prove useful on the 'Stuck 4 Words' thread Barry?)
Regards......'Jock'

(Your address here)

House of Commons,
Westminster,
London SW1A 0AA

(enter date)

Dear Sir:

Please accept this letter as an expression of my extreme disappointment at the recent decision reached by Her Majesty's advisors, who comprise the HD Committee, regarding conditional acceptance of the PJM.

To tell 35,000 loyal military ex-servicemen and women that they may accept a medal, which they will not be permitted to wear, defies all logic. On one hand, two rules (double-medalling and events over 5 years ago) are waived to permit acceptance and then, paradoxically, are immediately resurrected as reasons for the medal not to be ‘formally’ worn.

This decision denigrates the loyalty and service of the affected veterans. In addition, it demeans the sacrifice made by those who fell during the course of those conflicts. It also offers unwarranted insult to the Agong, Government and peoples of Malaysia.

Furthermore, it places Her Majesty the Queen in the invidious position of having told her British veterans that they are to accept rights inferior to those, which she has previously conferred upon their Commonwealth comrades, with identical service.

I would be most grateful if I might count on your support in the matter of having this decision rescinded.

Your Constituent,

Post Letters to Mp's 
Follows: the text of a letter which I have 'ghost written' and forwarded to all of my UK resident correspondents for further transmission, via 'snail mail', to their respective MP...Feel free to copy the text if you so desire...

Regards......'Jock'

(Your address here)

House of Commons,
Westminster,
London SW1A 0AA

(enter date)

Dear Sir:

Your Constituent,

Reply to topic Page 5 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next