Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 4 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Contact with MPs
I opened the Australian website showing the presentation of the PJM to the dignitaries. I really could not believe the difference in the way our comrads down under treat this award.
They obviousley view it in the manner in which the Malaysian government offered it...with gratittude and honour.

I believe every British politician and every member of the HD quango should be made to look at this photograph and hang their heads in shame. This is a glaring example as to why Australia and New Zealand want to break from British imperialism.

Two more British soldiers killed in Iraq today....no doubt the prime minister and all the other hypocrites will be wringing their hands and "Deeply saddened" etc.etc. Can this really be the country we, who have paid our dues vowed to defend.

"It's Tommy this and Tommy that and anything you please,
But Tommy aint no bloomin fool,
You can bet that Tommy sees".

Yours Aye,

Bob Bryant (40 Commando)

Post Veteran's Minister 
Attached is a copy of the letter I've just sent to Don Touhig.
Mr Don Touhig MP
6 Woodfieldside Business Park
Penmaen Road
Pontllanfraith
Blackwood
NP12 2DG

5 March 2006

Pingat Jasa Malaysia

Dear Mr Touhig

I am writing to request that you act on a pressing issue that concerns several thousands of British veterans of the Malaya Emergency/Borneo Confrontation.

The veterans of these campaigns were offered, last year, the newly (2004) instituted Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM). This was a genuine offer from a grateful Commonwealth nation to those Commonwealth personnel who gave such dedicated service during the formative years of the fledgling state of Malaysia.

The military actions were often intense and carried out in the most hostile of environments. Many awards for courage were made, including a Gurkha VC in 1965. But the duties of the Commonwealth personnel were not only military in nature. The conflict was successful, after 18 years, because of the “hearts and minds” philosophy that was adopted. It is significant to note that at a time when we are being exhorted by the Government to support a “war on terrorism”, the Emergency/Confrontation remains the only occasion to date where terrorism has been defeated. The conflicts were carried out at the same time as the Dutch were ejected from the East Indies; the French from Indo China; and the military might of the US was comprehensively defeated in Viet Nam. Malaysia stood alone in stemming the tide of Communism across south East Asia, and that was achieved because of the participation of the Commonwealth Forces assembled there.

The PJM is not a commemorative medal, as often quoted by Government sources. Commemorative medals consist of Jubilee or Coronation medals – struck to celebrate a single event and awarded to a few people, the selection of whom remains a mystery but usually smacks of a degree of nepotism or favouritism. The word Jasa is Malay for service and so the PJM is a service medal. Indeed, one of the qualifying criteria is 90 days service in the prescribed theatre of operations.

The British Government’s initial reaction to the generous offer was total rejection (Baroness Symons statement in the House of Lords). Following intensive lobbying, the HD Committee, at the request of the FCO, reviewed the decision and they recommended Her Majesty to sanction acceptance of the medal, but with the caveat that this was to be restricted as “permission to wear will not formally be given.” The same Queen was recommended by the other Commonwealth countries to sanction unrestricted acceptance of the medal. The Australian veterans, including Her Majesty’s representative the Governor General, have begun to receive their PJMs.

We now have the anomaly whereby British, Australian, Fijian, Gurkha and New Zealand veterans, who stood side by side in combat in the jungle some 40-50 years ago, will now stand side by side on Remembrance Parades with all but the British veterans wearing the PJM alongside their General Service Medals. Thus the British veterans are, at a stroke of bumbling bureaucracy, reduced to the status of second class veterans. Furthermore, a British veteran who now lives in Australia will not be permitted to wear his PJM on ANZAC Day.

By their simple recommendation, endorsed by HMG, the HD Committee has relegated the PJM to the status of a cheap trinket of the variety found at fun fairs; British veterans have been insulted; the sacrifice of those who never returned has been denigrated; Her Majesty has been placed in an invidious position; the Malaysians have been dealt a most undiplomatic snub to their honesty and integrity.

Any one of these would be bad enough on its own. Taken together they show a despicable meanness on the part of HMG and the unelected quango that advises on medal acceptance. None of those who qualify for the PJM will still be a serving soldier, so who will be hurt by the sight of an ageing veteran proudly wearing his PJM alongside his GSM?

We veterans swore an Oath of Allegiance to Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and many of as still hold that Oath as valid and binding. But allegiance is a two-edged sword and the British veterans feel that they have not been served honourably in this matter.

The situation has been further compounded by HMGs recent announcement that it is to introduce a National Veteran’s Day, which will consist of a series of local events at which the service and sacrifice of those veterans will be honoured. It has also been stated that veterans will be presented with medals at these events. Is it intended that local politicians up and down the country will present the PJM to the veterans, in the full glare of the media, only to admonish the recipients to immediately afterwards to keep the medals out pf sight. Certainly, the shambolic way in which this matter has been conducted to date means that no PJMs are likely to be available for presentation to British veterans this year, and even next year could be an ambition too far.

I have to date, contacted the Prime Minister, Chancellor, Defence Minister and my MP for clarification on the meaning of “formal wear”, and also to request that the matter is reviewed and favourably concluded. I have to date, received no response from any of the above mentioned. So much for open Government and respect for the Nation’s veterans.

I urge you, in your capacity as Veteran’s Minister, to use your office to salvage honour from dishonour. If there is any Veteran’s issue that requires the office of a Veteran’s Agency, this is one such.

Yours Sincerely

Gerald Law (ex RAF Borneo veteran)

Post Gerry's letter to Veterans Minsiter... 
Gerry....all I can say, having read your letter is...'Wish to God I had written that!'
Kudos.
'Jock'

Post Jubilee medals 
George
Point taken and appreciated. My comment was really aimed at the hangers on who probably also got the medal. I believe that the Royal Princes, William and Harry, got the gong and their only claim must have been that it had Grand Mama's head on it. I know that the "great unwashed" got theirs by lottery, but I would still be interested to know just how those names were arrived at. Whatever, I would still like the great and good of the nation to understand the difference between a commemorative medal and one that is awarded for service, wich is really the point I was trying to make. I suspect that my bile was at its high point at the time of writing (too much cheese with the lunch sandwich).
Regards
GerryL

Post Re: Submissions to MP's 
BarryF wrote:

One way to do that is we give it a week and then post the MP as a Don't Know - they hate that!

We must not behave like they do - unjustly. We must be seen to be giving them a fair go.

So, after that week and nothing being heard, send the MP another letter informing them that they have been posted as "not supporting" on the "Fight4thePJM" Forum, and that we look forward to them changing their views?

Iceni wrote:
We must not behave like they do - unjustly ... So, after that week and nothing being heard, send the MP another letter informing them that they have been posted as "not supporting" on the "Fight4thePJM" Forum, and that we look forward to them changing their views?

Iceni - I agree with not behaving like them - that is what I thought I was suggesting when I referred to putting them down as a "Don't know".

But, having read your message I thought about it again and I now see that your suggestion is far better. It requires two letters but it does mean we've given our elected representative every oportunity to provide a courteous reply whether or not he or she supports us.

So I go with what you say. Write to your MP and if no reply write a courteous reminder asking for support and stating that if no answer we'll assume he or she does not support us. They'll have the opportunity to say they "Don't Know" at that stage.

Thanks for that, Barry

Last edited by BarryF on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

BarryF wrote:
Write to your MP and if no reply write a courteous reminder asking for support and stating that if no answer we'll assume he or she does not support us. They'll have the opportunitty to say they "Don't Know" at that stage.

Sounds fair enough.

Thanks.

Here is the letter I have sent to all the members of the HD committee, we can only hope!!

Before you disregard this letter and throw it in the bin, can I ask you please to take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to read what I have to say.

I am a veteran of the Borneo “Confrontation” and one of the many that are having difficulty in understanding how or why the HD committee reached the confusing decision that we could accept the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) medal, but not “formally” wear it.

I am sure that you have received previous correspondence on this issue and whilst I probably agree with all of the observations made, my concerns lie elsewhere.

Having completed thirty seven years crown service I still work on a regular basis with the police and military in many countries. Some of this time has been in Malaysia working with their security services. If you have worked with Malaysians in the past then you will appreciate what I have to say, if not then please let me explain.

The Malaysian people are by nature an intelligent and very generous race and, for the king to award the PJM to all the commonwealth servicemen and women who fought and helped in the foundation of Malaysia, was indeed an honour. Whenever I discuss the issue of the PJM over there, their views range from “not being able to understand how this could happen” to “ why do the British think that our medal is so trivial that it is not worth wearing?”. As you can imagine, this puts me in a difficult situation. If I defend the decision of the HD committee then I am insulting them. If I agree with the Malaysians then I am disloyal to my country.

The Malaysian people deserve more respect. We won the wars in Malaya and Malaysia with a campaign of “Hearts and Minds,” working in tandem with military courage. The “confrontation” is still offered up as an example of how to defeat terrorism during military training. We spent years winning their hearts and minds, the HD committee are in danger of destroying all this good will with this unjust decision.

Have you insulted 35,000 veterans? Absolutely.
More importantly, you have insulted a nation.

It is not too late, please have the courage to reverse this decision.

At least I will be in good company in the "Tower"

Bob Bryant
Borneo Veteran

Here is the letter I have sent to all the members of the HD committee, we can only hope!!

Bob - Brilliant letter and stunning support for the right to wear the PJM cause. It deserves a positive response.

I hope everyone will be inspired and write - George has supplied the addresses, and they and others are in the The Lobby section.

Post Letters to the HD committee.... 
Regardless of my comrade George's admonition, that his suggestion for such letters only applied to UK residents....I simply couldn't resist the temptation to 'stick my oar in' (you know what we 'Jocko's are like, about getting into the fight?).
...Anyway, the cost involved for the 8 'Airmails' was only the approximate equivalent of that of a half bottle of Scotch...and my physician, I'm sure, will applaud my diversion of these funds in this manner, even if no-one else does!

Mailed today to all members of the HD committee:

6 March 2006
Pingat Jasa Malaysia
Dear Sir,

Permit me to preface my comments with the observation that, as an ex serviceman, I fully understand, and support, the right of the HD committee to establish and enforce protocol governing the wearing of medals by members of Her Majesties Armed Forces.

Further, I am aware of the recent decision of your committee, which advises all eligible applicants for the PJM that, while they may accept this honour, they are not ‘formally’ permitted to wear the medal.

Since virtually all of the veterans eligible for this award are now septuagenarian civilians, I confess that the logistics of your potential ability to police and enforce such an edict leave me somewhat nonplussed.

I was hitherto unaware that, as a civilian, it was necessary for me to obtain permission from anyone to accept such a medal…and since I do not now, nor am I ever likely to again, wear the Queen’s uniform, by what right do you impose conditions of wear upon me?

With the greatest of respect Sir, I submit that you can exercise no such control over the actions of any civilian, and let me suggest that, at the earliest possible opportunity, you revisit this regrettable decision, which appears to infer that you may.

Yours truly,

John Fenton.

............'Jock'

Post Re: Letters to the HD committee.... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Regardless of my comrade George's admonition, that his suggestion for such letters only applied to UK residents....

Nice one, Jock! Keep At 'Em!

Residents? Citizens? Whatever. George, being ex-RN, would approve of the quality of that oar you just stuck in.

Wouldn't you know it...they wait 'til I'm bloody 70 and first off they want to give me a medal....now they promote me to 'Stroke Oar'...funny sort of a rank for an ex member of the Sigurinals eh???

Should I receive any response to my letters I'll post them PDQ.

Incidentally, I just discovered that my brother is a constituent of Sir Menzies Campbell CBE QC MP....so I've got him organized with a letter which requests an answer as to 'Ming's position on the topic...will advise whenever (if ever!)...

'Jock'

Post MP's 
Jock, I sent Sir Ming an email asking if he would support us following his speech lately which said something like 'fighting for a fairer society'. To date no reply but I am sure a follow-up letter from you might get him started. Awrabest, Andy aka mcdangle.

Post Re: Reply to David Cameron's Correspondence Secretary 
George F wrote:
Thank you for your email and we take on board what you have to say. You may have seen that Julian Lewis, our Shadow Minister for Defence, asked the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs in the House of Commons last December; 'pursuant to the answer of 24 November 2005, Official Report ...

George, Your persistence is brilliant. Lesser mortals would give up reading a reply so out of date in relation to what is happening now. Let's hope that your letter focuses their attention on the facts that you have set out.

Post Response from 10 Downing Street... 
Rec'd 5 minutes ago in my morning mail:

...from 'The Direct Communications Unit' 10 Downing Street. (read: 'flunky'!)

...this letter assures me that Mr Blair is grateful for my letter, and that he regrets not being able to respond personally...he knows that I will appreciate that he receives many thousands of letters each week.

...Mr Blair recognises that the issue I raise 'is the responsibility of the MoD and he has directed that my letter be forwarded to that department so that they are also aware of my views.'

Not exactly the response for which I had hoped...but, nothing daunted, I'm now looking about for other targets...

'Jock'

Reply to topic Page 4 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next