Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Suits
Post Suits 
I have just read this on one of my own forum pages, brilliant!

WHY CANT IDIOTS LEAVE THE WORLD ALONE.

Thats because they wouldn't be idiots if they did.

When I was at school and twelve years of age, my Mum made up some rules, I was to stay in grey flannel shorts, 'hey but Mum all my friends are in long trousers', 'no John you will not have long trousers until I say so', when I reached 13 and nearly 6' tall I thought it was time I asked again 'can I go into long trousers?' I asked, 'yes' said she.

At 16 I joined up in The RAF, I had long trousers! Blue serge, awful stuff to wear especially in the summer when temperatures were in the high 80's, the RAF sent me overseas to The Far East at 18 years of age, they put me in shorts again, 'cause they were the rules! But after 1800hrs I could wear long trousers, I could then go on Perimeter guard with 10 rounds of Ammo and a Lee Enfield .303 but on no account was I to load the rifle!

The next day I wore shorts again, I was on guard on a Sampan from Changi Creek to Seletar Pier with God knows how many 2000lb bombs, then I would have a full day on The Sunderland Flying boats, refuelling rearming ready for the next FIREDOG operation, if it was daylight I was able to wear shorts again but after night fall back to the rules and wear Short Longs! This was probably when we were on Flying Boat Guard.

I just loved these rules, sleeves buttoned to the cuff at night or rolled up to form a perfect shape during the day, the shorts had to be 1" above the knee the KD Woollen Socks had to be 1" below the knee, these were the rules in daytime temperatures when it would hit the 90s. I just love rules, always have done, they were there to be broken too.

49 years later I'm back in shorts as we in the UK have been having a hot summer but these rules are my rules, no one can tell me anymore I can wear Long Shorts or Short Longs, I can grow my hair short or long, I prefer long as for 12 years I lived by those other rules. Now of course I have absolute control of my own destiny, the only rule I need to take notice of is what mem'sahib says on Daily Routine Orders but there is one exception.........

........Since January 31st 2006 someone decides that the rules have to be introduced again, I am forced to go back into shorts, my Mum no longer is involved as she is no longer around but the other parents (Boy would I like to see their birth certificates) have forced new rules upon me where I cannot wear a ribbon on my left breast, nor on my right in honour of my father, one thing though I will never ask this bunch of BARSTOOLS to go back into long trousers

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1