Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 10 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Article in Malaysian press today.
Post In the public interest 
Mike and Stan... you are absolutely right. However, turn to the photo part of your passport, inside back cover... see under 3. Nationality. You are, by your passport, a British Citizen. Sorry guys, that information has been in your possession all along.

Turn to inside front cover. Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State, Requests and requires in The Name of Her Majesty, all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hinderence, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary

Now I don't know about you, but that does enshrine us with certain rights, and that comes from the Secretary of State... all in the name of Her Majesty, of course.

I trust this may open the discussion a bit more.

Yours Aye

Citizen Arthur

DEAR STAN ,ARFOR,MIKE, NOT SURE WHICH OF MY THREE SPELLS OUT THE FAR FLUNG IT WAS,MAYBE THE MIGHTY RO5 ITSELF,BUT MY PASSPORT,WAS LOST, OUT OF DATE OR SOMETHING,I HAVE TO REPORT IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE TO MY ABILITY TO TRAVEL IN STEEL SO TO SPEAK,MAYBE I'LL HAVE TO FORFEIT MY PJM,COS I WASN';T OFFICIALLY THERE? JUST WONDERING IF THIS NOW MAKES ME AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT,OR A ASYLUM SEEKER,MY PREFERENANCE IS ONE THAT PAYS THE BEST,THAT KNOCKS A SERVICE PENSION OUT,ANY ADVICE,AND CAN I BE DEPORTED TO A COUNTRY OF CHOICE,AS A UNDESIREABLE DISAFFECTED VETERAN,I MUST BE ALLOWED TO TAKE MY TEDDY TO.

Post Disaffected Veteran 
Ok Pete, Message to you from Her Britannic Majesty's Government.

' Return your PJM, or the Teddy Bear gets it '.

Post Passports & the PJM 

Last edited by MB on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Today, as most members of this forum will be aware, marks the 60th anniversary of the events that led to the declaration of a State of Emergency in what was then known as Malaya. This link, from todays New Straits Times, looks at the historical aspects:

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/National/2268774/Article/index_html

Also, last Saturday, a memorial service was held at Batu Gajah Cemetery, also known as 'God's Little Acre', in Ipoh. This link reports on that service:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/6/15/nation/21558770&sec=nation

Lest we forget.

Lest we forget.

Thanks, Laurie.

Chin Peng continues to try and return to Malaysia. Here's the latest in this long running saga:

http://news.my.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1506010

Chin Peng continues to try and return to Malaysia. Here's the latest in this long running saga:

Quote from MSN

Born Ong Boon Hua in Sitiawan in Malaysia's northern Perak state in 1923, Chin Peng won the Order of the British Empire (OBE) and two medals for helping the British fight the Japanese in Malaya during World War II.

Did the UK Government ever remove the OBE from Chin Peng to ensure the 'integrity of the system was maintained' as is oft quoted by the FCO/CO

I understand that Chin Peng's OBE was indeed withdrawn John... although I have been unable to find any reference to the date of that withdrawal.

That prompted me to look up in Wikipedia and I quote from that source

In the course of the war, Chin was awarded an OBE(subsequently withdrawn by the British government), a mention in despatches, and two campaign medals by Britain. He was elected the Secretary General of the Communist Party of Malaya after the betrayal of previous leader Lai Tek who turned out to be an agent for both the British and the Japanese and had denounced the leadership of the Party to the Japanese secret police. Chin Peng was the most senior surviving member.

Post Chin Peng 
Well now, here we have a bit of a quandry. Should the Malaysian Government allow him back, in a spirit of reconciliation, or, pass a death sentence on him (in absentia of course), and give him permission to return. Would he be so keen to return, or would he maintain the exile till his demise.

Answers on a post card to.... Chief numptie at the Foreign Office... well, they do like to interfere in other countrys affairs...don't they.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Post Chin Peng 
In 1956 we were told that a reward of $100,000 Straits Dollars (or was that Singapore dollars?) would be paid for Chin Peng dead or alive.

I wonder, does this reward still apply to-day?

I too recall that offer Andy.....but given my experience with the PJM I now imagine that even if one of us had managed somehow to apprehend Chin Peng the $100,000 would probably have been awarded with the accompanying admonition that it must not be spent by the recipient....

LaurieB wrote:

Quote from MSN

Born Ong Boon Hua in Sitiawan in Malaysia's northern Perak state in 1923, Chin Peng won the Order of the British Empire (OBE) and two medals for helping the British fight the Japanese in Malaya during World War II.

Did the UK Government ever remove the OBE from Chin Peng to ensure the 'integrity of the system was maintained' as is oft quoted by the FCO/CO

John, the OBE was never actually presented to Chin Peng. The Emergency had started before that could be done and as Jock mentions, it was subsequently withdrawn. The other two medals were the 1939/45 Star and the Burma Star. The latter two medals were awarded to all members of the MPAJA who had assisted the Allied war effort against the Japanese in occupied Malaya.

Malaysia in 2003 denied his request to return on grounds he was still linked to a banned organisation with a "history of perpetrating terrorism" in the country.

Congratulations Malaysia,.....it is nice to see them apply some common sense.......unfortunately they wouldn't have learnt that from Britain.

Reply to topic Page 10 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next