Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 3 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Article in Malaysian press today.
This letter from the Deputy High Commissioner appears in todays "Opinions" column of the Star here in Malaysia:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/26/focus/15237691&sec=focus

What a load of codswallop.

How do these men (is it right to call them that?) lie straight in their beds at night?

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Is it because they want to earn (and wear), their KCBs (or what ever), no matter what the cost is to veterans?

He is behaving disgracefully to HM my Queen.

Post More Government Lies 
LaurieB wrote:
This letter from the Deputy High Commissioner appears in todays "Opinions" column of the Star here in Malaysia:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/26/focus/15237691&sec=focus

Their lack of response earlier obviously means they had been "taking advice" from the suits in Whitehall. Just more of the same old excuses as far as I can see.

I will email Mr Moody a copy of the rebuttal statement.

Laurie, Many thanks for pointing us at this sad offering from another arm of the British Government that is pushing out lies and spin and myth.

Can you send me the best email and snailmail addresses for both The Star and the BHC? I want to point out that the Deputy High Commissioner is spinning more deceit to a newpsaper in order to bolster the myths and spin in London. Patrick Moody says:

1. "UK civilians free to wear medal" - We are not. We have it in writing that the Queen approved acceptance on condition that the Malaysian medal is not worn by any British citizen.

2. "normal rules which do not allow British servicemen and women to accept foreign awards" - There is no such rule. The rules actually set out the basis on which Foreign medals can be accepted.

3. "long standing custom in our armed services" - Can we send him a copy of the Rebuttal in order to point out that it is a "long standing custom" to accept such awards?

4. "it is for individuals to decide whether they wish to wear the medal" - "No it isn't. The Queen decides - and she has, so far, said that we cannot."

Is Patrick Moody suggesting that the Royal Prerogative, that at the end of the day governs these matters, is a thing of the past and no longer applies? Is he suggesting that the Queen is also a thing of the past, a non-event, and that her wishes and permission (or lack of) should be disregarded by everyone? She is officially "The Fountain of all Honours" and ultimately it is She who approves what can and cannot be worn.

Hmm ... the lengths these people go to to deceive. They must have some very weighty reasons for going to these lengths to snub both Malaysia and British citizens ... I wonder what they are ...

Barry

Last edited by BarryF on Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

That post by the UKHC could ONLY have been approved by The Foreign & Commonwealth Office in London, this really has opened up a huge can of worms, The FCO are in trouble in London and Derby and now that BIG FOOT is still loose in Johore watch the Flak fly!

Post Re: More Government Lies 
BarryF wrote:

Laurie, Many thanks for pointing us at this sad offering from another arm of the British Government that is pushing out lies and spin and myth.

Can you send me the best email and snailmail addresses for both The Star and the BHC? I want to point out that the Deputy High Commissioner is spinning more deceit to a newpsaper in order to bolster the myths and spin in London. Patrick Moody says:

1. "UK civilians free to wear medal" - We are not. We have it in writing that the Queen approved acceptance on condition that the Malaysian medal is not worn by any British citizen.

2. "normal rules which do not allow British servicemen and women to accept foreign awards" - There is no such rule. The rules actually set out the basis on which Foreign medals can be accepted.

3. "long standing custom in our armed services" - Can we send him a copy of the Rebuttal in order to point out that it is a "long standing custom" to accept such awards?

4. "it is for individuals to decide whether they wish to wear the medal" - "No it isn't. The Queen decides - and she has, so far, said that we cannot."

Is Patrick Moody suggesting that the Royal Prerogative, that at the end of the day governs these matters, is a thing of the past and no longer applies? Is he suggesting that the Queen is also a thing of the past, a non-event, and that her wishes and permission (or lack of) should be disregarded by everyone? She is officially "The Fountain of all Honours" and ultimately it is She who approves what can and cannot be worn.

Hmm ... the lengths these people go to to deceive. They must have some very weighty reasons for going to these lengths to snub both Malaysia and British citizens ... I wonder what they are ...

Barry

Barry,

Email/snailmail address for the BHC, KL:

political.kualalumpur@fco.gov.uk

British High Commission
185 Jalan Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur
or
PO Box 11030
50732 Kuala Lumpur

Tel:
Switchboard - (+60 3) 2170 2200

Email/snailmail for the Star:

http://thestar.com.my/info/write2us.asp

editor@thestar.com.my

Menara Star
15 Jalan 16/11
46350 Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Tel. (03) 7967 1388
Fax. (03) 7955 4039
Deputy Managing Editor: Chua Yew Kay
Senior News Editor: Lim Chye Khim
News Editor: Wong Sai Wan

LaurieB wrote:
[Email/snailmail address for the BHC, KL:

political.kualalumpur@fco.gov.uk

British High Commission
185 Jalan Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur
or
PO Box 11030
50732 Kuala Lumpur

Tel:
Switchboard - (+60 3) 2170 2200

Email/snailmail for the Star:

http://thestar.com.my/info/write2us.asp

editor@thestar.com.my

Menara Star
15 Jalan 16/11
46350 Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Tel. (03) 7967 1388
Fax. (03) 7955 4039
Deputy Managing Editor: Chua Yew Kay
Senior News Editor: Lim Chye Khim
News Editor: Wong Sai Wan

Thanks, Laurie.

Herewith my letter sent by Fax and Email.

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/Correspondence/Moody_TheStar_260806_1.pdf

Post John Ireland Emails The Star Editor 
BarryF wrote:
Herewith my letter sent by Fax and Email.

And here's another email (I have the originator's permission to publish it)... this time from John Ireland to the editor of The Star:

"I am very surprised to read that Mr. Moody has told the Star that UK Citizens are free to wear the PJM; this is not the case and is an insult to the integrity of the high office that he holds.

The truth is that HMG has said that whilst the veterans may receive this award, it is only on condition that it is not worn by UK citizens, for them to do so is an insult to HM The Queen.

You may be as disingenuous as you wish to your own people Mr. Moody but please have the integrity not to be so to the good people of Malaysia for whom those who have served in their beautiful country have the highest regard. Taking lessons from our government on honesty (or the lack of) is not recommended.

John Ireland
County Vice Chairman
Royal British Legion, Wiltshire"

Isn't that a belter of a message. Joh has put in a there sentences what I probably failed to get across in three pages.

George F wrote:
Interesting what goes round comes round and lands back at Mr Moody's feet.

George,

This one may come back to haunt Mr Moody - and a few others. I believe that he has tried to deceive the Malaysian people under the official auspices of his position as Diplomat.

Up with that I cannot put.

He is a Crown Servant, and he has behaved with a lack of integrity that beggars belief.

Unless I receive a satisfactory explanation of his statement, I shall take this up formally. I do not want to be seen as jumping on my high horse, but this really is a serious development. This is how we get into situations like Iraq!

Post FOREIGN & COMMONWEALTH OFFICE IN CRISIS 
With what has been posted today and what was forwarded to me from Malaysia as OFFICIAL correspondence, then boy would I like to be a fly on the walls of The UKHC in both London and KL!

Dear John,

Your e-mail was passed to me as the man with "on the spot" responsibility for the Defence relationship with Malaysia. Thank you for your concern but I can report that our relations are excellent and that no fences need to be repaired. As you are probably aware, the official committee, which advises the Queen on matters of honours policy, recommended exceptions be made to the long standing rules regarding the award of medals. Non-British medals will not normally be approved for events or service:

- that took place more than 5 years before the initial consideration, or in connectiion with events that took place in the distant past (eg commemorative medals)

- if the recipient has received a British award for the same service.

You should be aware that the MoD and particularly the FCO worked hard to convince the committee of the need to allow the PJM to be awarded because HM Government believes it is important to recognise the generous gesture by the King and the Government of Malaysia, and their wish to acknowledge the service given by veterans and others in the years immediately following Malaysian independence. The exception recommended reflects this and our strong and important relationship with Malaysia.

The fact that formal permission to wear the PJM has not been given would come as no surprise to serving soldiers. I recall immediately following the first Gulf war, the King of Kuwait presented a similar medal and an exception to one of the rules was made (award of a non-British medal for the same campaign). I was honoured to present them to my troops back in the UK but they could not wear them on parade as serving soldiers. Veterans of the years immediately following Malaysian Independence up until 12 August 1966 will all have left the service; therefore, it should not be an issue and the Malaysians do not seem to regard it as one.

Assuming that you are entitled to receive the PJM, we have just been made aware that the Malaysian High Commission in London is holding a ceremony to award them on 19 August 2006 (My correction July 19th 2006) and there might be other opportunities. Veterans groups will be able to confirm the detail in the UK. We are in touch with some veterans groups from here and there is the possibility that the PJM might be presented by the Malaysian MoD during their visits.

Again assuming that you have served here, we are encouraging more veterans to visit Malaysia in 2007 when the country celebrates 50 years of Independence.

I hope this helps,

Paul Edwards

P A W EDWARDS
Col
DA Kuala Lumpur

If anyone would like to drop Mr Moody a line I'm sure that he would be VERY pleased to hear from you all.......

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1068717468422

or even better

http://www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1032111164482

If anyone would like to drop Mr Moody a line I'm sure that he would be VERY pleased to hear from you all.......

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1068717468422

Thanks John,

I was going to use that link to lodge a formal complaint but decided not to because ... guess who's the Complaints Officer? Yup ... Deputy Dawg Moody, the man who openly tells the Malaysians that their honourable medal has been rejected as a mere souvenir or, as some would have it, a trinket ... and the man who no doubt sucks on Imperial Mints while cogitating over his next public gaff to the Malaysians.

Barry

[quote="BarryF... and the man who no doubt sucks on Imperial Mints while cogitating over his next public gaff to the Malaysians.

Barry[/quote]

Barry

I wonder if Broody Moody did this off his own back (like Phoney Coney answering for the FCO via the MoD), all we want is for Henny Penny or Cocky Lockie to confirm that this is OFFICIAL policy from Ms Becketts office. Perhaps Buck House do not know there has been a coup d'etat and that the new Oliver Cromwell is none other than Patrick Moody, himself, himself!

Post Re: E/mail to Col Edwards 
George F wrote:
Dear Col Edwards,

having read your e/mail to another veteran on the following site I wish to ask a few questions.

Great one, George.

It is amazing that these people can believe anything of what they say! I suspect, however, that they do not understand a word of the scripts they are handed. The utter paucity of intellect in these people is amazing.

I salute the logic and truth inherent in your questions.

I am contemptuous of the illogical falsehoods that you rightly question and the pathetic puppets that promulagte them.

Post Re: letter to the Editor of the Star 
George F wrote:
Thanks Barry, here's another letter to the Star.

Another belter, George.

I very much hope that The Star soon twigs that it has been 'used' when it read about how the Britsh HMG disregards rules, creates myths, and then lies just to deprive its people from what they earned and are entited to.

Barry

In responce to Mr Moody's letter in Saturday's Star, have just fired this off asking for clarification of several points from the good Mr Edge at the FCO:

To Mr Chris Edge
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
London

Dear Mr Edge,

Below, I reproduce a letter from Mr Patrick Moody, the Deputy High Commissioner in Kuala Lumpur, which appeared in last Saturday's edition of The Star newspaper here in Malaysia. I would be grateful if you would answer my queries which appear in blue, within parenthesis, following Mr Moody's comments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I quote:

UK civilians free to wear medal. (I take it that this quote from Mr Moody is Official UK Government Policy and that Mr Moody has been quoted correctly. Does this quote, UK civilians free to wear medal, reverse the decision made by The Ministerial Statement of 31st January 2006 where Veterans were informed they would not be permitted to wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia. It is essential this and the following points are clarified.)

In his articles, “War vets in battle of honour” (The Star, Aug 19) and “War veterans battle for right to wear medal” (Sunday Star, Aug 20), your London-based correspondent, Choi Tuck Wo, raised the issue of the right of British veterans to wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia.

The British Government warmly welcomes the award. We believe that it is important to recognise the service given by British Commonwealth servicemen, policemen and civilians and the close and strong relationship between the UK and Malaysia. (If it is important to recognise the service given by British Commonwealth servicemen, etc, why is that recognition not given equitably throughout the Commonwealth? I refer, of course, to the fact that the Australian and New Zealand governments who have both awarded unrestricted recognition to the PJM.)

Many paid with their lives in order to preserve a free, democratic, multi-cultural and multi-religious nation, which is the successful Malaysia we know today. (At last we have got recognition for our fallen comrades, Thank you.)

In order to allow acceptance of the PJM, Queen Elizabeth II has made a special exception to the normal rules which do not allow British servicemen and women to accept foreign awards. (What, pray tell, are the normal rules and where are they laid down?)

The articles highlight the concerns of some British veterans the exception does not allow the wearing of the medal by British servicemen. (How did Mr Moody arrive at SOME? There is great concern amongst many veterans who are eligible for this award.)

This is due to the long standing custom in our armed services. However the wearing of medals by civilians (as the veterans now are) is not policed. (How long is LONG STANDING and do I take it that CUSTOM is a change to your oft quoted RULES?)

No laws are broken if the medal is worn, and so it is for individuals to decide whether they wish to wear the medal. (If that is so, why introduce the LAWS/CUSTOM/RULES in the first place? And, why is one government department telling veterans that Her Majesty The Queen has approved the acceptance of this award on the very condition that it is NOT worn. Indeed, it has been further stated that if the PJM was worn, it would be seen as a grave discourtesy to Her Majesty!)

Next year will be the 50th anniversary of Independance and “Visit Malaysia Year”. We hope a large number of veterans who served here from the Second World War, the Emergency and the Confrontation will return to celebrate the last 50 years and look forward to extending the partnership and friendship between our two countries into the future. (We, the veterans, also look forward to the forthcoming celebrations. But, what a disgrace it would be, if, on a formal parade to mark this prestigious event, all other Commonwealth contingents wore the PJM so graciously awarded them by a grateful Malaysian government, but the British contingent could not, as to do so would be seen as a gross discourtesy to Her Majesty The Queen. Conversely, do we insult our hosts by not wearing the medal? Surely, it is now time for the British authorities to recover an untenable position and grant the PJM the full recognition that it so richly deserves.)

PATRICK MOODY,
Deputy High Commissioner,
British High Commission,
Kuala Lumpur.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look forward to your reply. Perhaps then I will be better able to explain to Malaysian friends why the British authorities have not given full recognition to the Pingat Jasa Malaysia.

Laurence M Bean
Address details supplied.

That is a great letter, I couldn't have put it better myself! I wonder what 'get out clause' will be used this time........

Reply to topic Page 3 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next