Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Article in Malaysian press today.
Post Re: LETTERS. 
mcdangle wrote:
re- the letter in the New Straits Times, Malaysia, on Monday, 31st. July, 2006, Headed 'Recognition shows maturity' and signed Boyd McLeary, British High Commission, Kuala Lumpur - he is the new British High Commissioner to Malaysia.

Thought you would like to know.

Thanks Andy

I have already sent his Colonel on The Defence Team a reminder of the publicity in The Star editions, anyone got an email addy for the TOP MAN?

Post UK High Comm. K.L. 
Herewith John...

political.kualalumpur@fco.gov.uk <political.kualalumpur@fco.gov.uk>

Done and dusted.........

Mr Boyd McLeary

The United Kingdom High Commissioner for Malaya

Sir,

I wonder if you would like to make any comment on the following newspaper articles that have appeared very recently in The Malaysian National Press

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680

Thank you for your attention

Yours sincerely

John Cooper

... countries where it is now worn include England, Northern Ireland, Eire, Scotland, Wales, Nepal, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, India, China, Fiji, Singapore, Argentina, Thailand, Japan, South Africa, France, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Holland, Denmark and, most important of all - Malaysia.

Our Campaign is truly International.

Barry

Thats 29 countries.

Great stuff.

Just browsed the 'Star' online and found this. Jock's letter has made it into the paper today. Here's the link:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/21/focus/15195685&sec=focus

Haven't had a chance to get the paper yet. Will be doing that shortly.

Well done Jock!

Well done Jock!

I'll second that, Laurie.

A great letter, Jock. But it's unlike you to beat about the bush like that! Laughing

As a follow-up to Jock's letter, I have today emailed the Editor of the Star and thanked him for his support of our cause. I attach a copy of my message below:

The Editor
The Star

Sir,

Can I echo Jock Fenton's sentiments and thank you and your staff for the support you have given to the "Fight 4 the PJM" campaign which is ongoing in the UK.

The attitude of the UK authorities towards the award of the PJM to those of us who served in Malaysia during its first, difficult days of nationhood, is totally incomprehensible and unjust. Australia and New Zealand have both recognised the award of this medal and, I hope, the UK will do so shortly.

I feel doubly priviledged. Not only am I to receive the PJM, but I have for some time now lived in Malaysia on the Malaysia My Second Home programme and, as such, am able to enjoy the hospitality of the Malaysian people on a daily basis. For both honours I say thank you Malaysia. Like all the veterans of this campaign, I will wear the PJM with pride.

Name and address supplied.

Barry Wrote: A great letter, Jock. But it's unlike you to beat about the bush like that!

.....Ah well Barry....obviously no-one has informed you of the incredible metamorphosis that has taken place...this is the placid, moderate, introspective and quietly persuasive 'Jock' that is newly emerged.

My email to the Editor of the Star in support of Jock's letter was printed in today's 'Opinion' pages. Click here to view:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/22/focus/15201599&sec=focus

Post In the News in Kota Kinabalu - Sabah 
DAILY EXPRESS NEWS

30 Aussie veterans get meritorious awards

17 August, 2006

Kota Kinabalu: Thirty Australian Defence Force veterans have been conferred the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM), a meritorious service award, in recognition of their services during the Malayan Emergency and Indonesian Confrontation.

The medals were presented by Malaysian Armed Forces Chief, Admiral Tan Sri Mohd Anwar Mohd Nor, at an investiture ceremony at Magellan Sutera Harbour Resort and Spa, Wednesday.

However, two of the recipients were not on hand to receive the medal at the ceremony, the third to be held this year.

The first investiture ceremony was held in Canberra, Australia on Jan. 30 presented by the Governor-General of Australia and the second was on June 8 at the Butterworth Air Base presented by the Malaysian Chief of Armed Forces.

The PJM is awarded to any member of the armed forces, semi-armed forces, police and security or civilian staff who had proven to have rendered his/her services to the Federation of Malaya or Malaysia during the First Emergency (Aug 31, 1957 to Aug 12, 1966) and Second Emergency (Jan 1, 1969 to Oct 17, 1990) against the Communist Party of Malaya or Parti Komunis Kalimantan Timur.

Also considered for the medal are members of the Commonwealth forces who were killed, wounded or disabled while fighting communist terrorists during the said periods.

During the said periods, 62 members of the Australian Defence Forces were killed and scores wounded.

Leading the recipients was Ian Davenport who served in the 22nd Construction Squadron, Royal Australian Engineer Corps in the peninsula.

Also on hand were senior officers of the armed forces, Sabah Tourism Board Chairman, Tengku Datuk Adlin and family members of the veterans.

http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=43845

My email to the Editor of the Star in support of Jock's letter was printed in today's 'Opinion' pages. Click here to view:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/22/focus/15201599&sec=focus

Laurie, Thanks very much for your invaluable support from Malaysia.

Post Re: In the News in Kota Kinabalu - Sabah 
John Feltham wrote:

The PJM is awarded to any member of the armed forces, semi-armed forces, police and security or civilian staff who had proven to have rendered his/her services to the Federation of Malaya or Malaysia during the First Emergency (Aug 31, 1957 to Aug 12, 1966) and Second Emergency (Jan 1, 1969 to Oct 17, 1990) against the Communist Party of Malaya or Parti Komunis Kalimantan Timur.

Also considered for the medal are members of the Commonwealth forces who were killed, wounded or disabled while fighting communist terrorists during the said periods.

Hmmm ... never seen the scope of the PJM expressed like that before!

This letter from the Deputy High Commissioner appears in todays "Opinions" column of the Star here in Malaysia:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/26/focus/15237691&sec=focus

Their lack of response earlier obviously means they had been "taking advice" from the suits in Whitehall. Just more of the same old excuses as far as I can see.

I will email Mr Moody a copy of the rebuttal statement.

I have just sent off a letter to the Editor of the Star regarding Mr Mooney's letter in the post above:

The Editor
The Star

Sir,

I read the letter from Mr Patrick Moody, Deputy High Commissioner at the British High Commission in KL, regarding the wearing of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia by UK civilians with great interest. At first, I thought it was a change in the UK's previously announced policy .

Alas, that was not the case. That policy still remains as set out in the Ministerial Statement made to the House of Lords on 31 January 2006. This statement announced that, on the recommendation of the Honours and Decorations Committee, a non-elected body in Whitehall, Her Majesty the Queen had approved the acceptance of the medal but that "permission to wear the PJM will not, however, formally be given".

To us, the veterans of the conflicts in Malaya/Malaysia, it is ludicrous that on an official parade of veterans from the countries involved in the conflicts, the British contingent cannot officially wear the PJM. We believe that we have earned that right.

I draw Mr Moody's attention to the website, http://www.fight4thepjm.org/index.htm that now sets our aims and objectives in having this unjust decision reversed. I would particularly draw his, and your readers, attention to the very detailed Rebuttal Statement, http://www.fight4thepjm.org/whatwesay_rebuttal.htm . This 51 page document, prepared by several members of the campaign, dissects all the reasons for not granting unrestricted acceptance of the PJM that have been put forward by the authorities in Whitehall.

Thanks Laurie for posting this from 'Our Man in Malaya'! I am about to reply thus:

"No laws are broken if the medal is worn, and so it is for individuals to decide whether they wish to wear the medal"

PATRICK MOODY,
Deputy High Commissioner,
British High Commission,
Kuala Lumpur.

Here we go again, the spin and deceit put out by HMG, we get this statement on almost every email/letter we receive from HMG, we are quoted in an alleged document from 1850 that we must not wear this or any other foreign medal award, it is THEIR rule not ours, HMG are dinosaurs living in a past Empirical age, they really ought to get real!

When I see letters like this though I feel an inner glow of satisfaction that it further enhances our cause to honour our comrades who fell in battle and have no redress on such statements but there again neither do I as Her Majesty has used "Her Royal Prerogative" (Her Majesty's Government quote to me recently, a copy is available if anyone wishes) saying that " a great discourtesy to Her Majesty will be shown if we were to wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia" (HMG) and that is from The Fount of All Knowledge that we all served once via UK Civil Servants

John Cooper

Malaya Veteran 1958

Reply to topic Page 2 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next