Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Dave "Spook" Cooke, Royal Navy (FAA) 1961 - 1970 Malaysian Veteran H.M.S Eagle. FAA Armourers Association.

Last edited by Dave Cooke on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Re: whitemouse 
whitemouse wrote:
pakbill wrote:
whitemouse

Paul (Jim) Green
HMS Albion (The Old Grey Ghost of the Borneo Coast) 1964 - 1966

HI PAUL, THANKS FOR THE LIFT BACK TO TERENDAK CAMP (3RAR 1965). LOUSY BEER YOU BLOKES HAD ON BOARD, NAMELY 'RED BARREL'. IT WAS SO BAD THAT I NEVER FORGOT IT. Sad OUT OF THE HUNDREDS OF DIGGERS ON BOARD I ONLY SAW TWO THAT CONTINUED TO DRINK IT AFTER THE FIRST TASTE - AND THEY WERE PROBABLY EX-PATS. PERHAPS WE WERE SPOILT BY THE GOOD OLD AUSSIE BEER (AT JUNGLE TEMPERATURE) WE CONSUMED OVER THE PRECEDING MONTHS. Very Happy

You're welcome sir,

I preferred Tiger or San Mig in those days, once I became of age that is !! Wink Were you lucky to be of the age to drink the tot ? - we had to be 20 and of good character, upstanding etc etc Rolling Eyes

One of the worst things I had to do was serve the rum at 17 years old to the old rumrats aboard, and not allowed a taste Mad

AGE? - - DO YOU HAVE TO BE AN AGE TO PARTAKE? I WAS A TIGER/CARLSBERG MAN MYSELF. I HAD MY 23RD BIRTHDAY IN BORNEO SO I WAS OLD ENOUGH. WE HAD NO ALCOHOL ON PATROL IN BORNEO, BUT WERE GIVEN TWO CANS OF 'ROOM' TEMPERATURE BEER PER DAY WHEN BACK IN THE OUTPOST, USUALLY FOR TWO NIGHTS. UP ON THE THAI BORDER PATROLS THE PLATOON SERGEANT CARRIED WHAT WAS CALLED 'GURKHA RUM'. EACH EVENING, AFTER BASING UP FOR THE NIGHT, WE WOULD GET AN ISSUE OF RUM - - THAT WAS POTENT STUFF - - WE WOULD MIX IT WITH SIX PARTS WATER. OH! SWEET MEMORIES.

I WILL WEAR IT TOO. JOHN MACDONALD BORNEO 1964/65

I WILL WEAR IT TOO. the PJM . JOHN MACDONALD BORNEO 1964/65

Post Reference Sign up 
Yes Sir!

I also sign up.

Arthur Rambart-Spicer, Royal Navy, served in Far East from 1965 to 1967.
HMS Mull of Kintyre, for a few weeks, then HMS Manxman.

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Re Arthur R-S's sign up 
Yep you got it in one.

My Rolex, runs like a Swiss... automobile... mainly backwards.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Post sign-up 
Rob Morris Ex. 3 Coy.RASC/RCT...RAOC Terendak Camp 28 Commonwealth Brigade Malacca..Oh and briefly 3 in labuan Borneo 1963/ 1966 well rememered.. : Very Happy

gday malaysia 1965 hms london i shall wear it over here,but then we dont have whitehall suits prowling around.

Do I somehow feel dissention in the ranks?

Gordon H Smith 1st Bn 22nd Cheshire Regiment Singapore/Malaya 1958-60

Post me too 
Gary (Gus) Pennells, Royal Navy 1962 - 1973. Singapore / Malaya 63 - 66

Would this be the one and only Ivor Bigun, formerly of rum, gin, San Mig and "The Vault" fame. I think I might know you from a former life at the Security Centre in HK, where we may have been involved in building the 'Pyramid of Doom' from empty San Mig beer cans (allegedly).

Post Only contact with rum,bum and concertina in Malaya. 
One day in 1958 I had to visit cruiser Newcastle floating off Port Swetenam. Can't really remember why now but was well fed after duty performed. Back on the "hard" and off the "oggin" I was invited into a bar for a few scoops with some off duty drunks (or maybe on duty ones.) They took the piss out of a squaddy and asked a lot of questions about life inland....but refused to let me pay for a single Tiger. Thankfully I had a Malay driver who refused anything alcoholic and eventually got me into the L Rover and even stopped for me to have a few pukes and pees on the way back to Batu. Thanks if any of you matelots was involved. Mike B.

Post The Vault 
Ah yes, young Dangler of that ilk, tis me, the denizen of many a better 'ole and famed partaker of many a chilly san mig tops on a hot day in paradise. After all it would have been churlish not to! Oh how are the mighty fallen, it's Friday night and time for a happy hour binge but not a san mig or carlsberg in sight. I shall have to content meself with a nippy sweety in front of the electric fish tank.
Now if I were in KL along with 'e, I might be persuaded otherwise!
Good to hear from you, young whippersnapper (emphasis on the snapper) hope all is well with you and yours, much to catch up on. Will PM my e-mail addie. Love to the family!
GP

Reply to topic Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next