Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Normandy Veterans
Post Normandy Veterans 
I was in Solihull town centre today and I came upon two smartly dressed old men proudly wearing their W.W.2 medals.They must have been, at a guess, in their late eighties.They were street collecting for the Normandy Veterans Association.I was dismayed at the amount of people who just passed them by without a glance.I gave them my donation,shook their hands,and thanked them for what they did so that I could enjoy my freedom.How long these two gentlemen had been standing there,goodness knows.
This made me wonder.Does the Government or MoD subscibe to these associations or do they rely on membership and public donations to keep functioning.Do our War Veterans Have to stand on street corners at their age so that they can have a pint and a chin wag and talk about the good old days,at their meetings.Perhaps someone could enlighten me on this subject.

Rgds Ray

Post WW2 Veterans 
Recently I too had the pleasure of chatting to two members of our local Normandy Veteran's Association.They were collecting inside our local Morrisons supermarket.I learned from them that no department gives them any money,they depend upon the generosity of the general public,I gave them a couple of quid,bought them both a cup of tea and a cake.
We as a Regimental Association do recieve funds from our serving Regiment (a days pay per year)These Veterans get nowt!!
I believe they had a lottery grant turned down when they were planning to go to Normandy last year.
Morrisons are very obliging in allowing collections etc such as RBL Poppy Appeal,Normandy Vets,and local school sports events,boxing clubs etc.If it wasn't for the likes of the supermarkets I'm afraid they would struggle even more.

Smudger, thanks for that info.Ask a question on this forum and there is a 100% chance that it will be answered.
The civilian "civil servants" and civilian "politicians" couldn't give a toss about "veterans".All they are interested in is their own self importance.If it wasn't for "veterans" they certainly would not be in the job they are doing now.Probably down some coal mine getting their finger nails all dirty.Tut tut.Instead of the Term "veteran" I think "Has Been" would be a more apt terminology to use.The contempt we are being treated with by our elected government on the PJM issue is beyond words.We are just "has been's."
I could go on but it would be just tiresome and boring.I sound as if I have got a chip on my shoulder don't I.Let me assure you I havn't.It is a bloody great LOG.
Rgds Ray

Post .. 

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

If you can read this "thank a teacher".
If you can read it in English "thank a Veteran".

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1