Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
First article on the PJM presentation.
Well done George, great to see you up there! Wink

Post MCH 
Found on Google Malay Time.
July 19, 2006 22:50 PM

British War Veterans Honoured With PJM Medal

From Ahmad Fuad Yahya

LONDON, July 19 (Bernama) -- Forty British war veterans, who served in Malaya during its early struggle towards nationhood, were Wednesday honoured by Malaysia with the award of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM).

The presentation took place at an emotional ceremony and many were seen with teary eyes when Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak addressed them.

Said Gus Fletcher, 77, a former Special Branch officer in Kuala Pilah in Negeri Sembilan: "One thing I will never forget is the people (of the then Malaya). They were so friendly."

Fletcher, who can read jawi and speaks and writes Bahasa Melayu and Mandarin, was awarded the George Medal by Queen Elizabeth for his valour in "Operation Googly" that killed two communist terrorists (CTs) and captured six others in Kuala Pilah in 1957.

Another member of the team in the operation, Inspector Goh Chin Hee, also received the medal.

Retired police lieutenant Roy Follows, 77, who served in Malaya for nine years from 1954, recalled that in June 1954, he and 15 others attacked a CT camp in the jungles of Yong Peng, Johor.

Follows, who was then only 23, had crept to the rear of the camp and was lying on the ground when a CT suddenly emerged from a tent and spat towards him without realising he was there.

He peeped inside the tent and saw two men inside. Without hesitation, he fired his machine gun at one of them and killed him but the other man ran outside.

"I chased him for a few metres and jumped on him and we struggled to knife each other," he said.

Follows slashed the CT several times on the head and captured him alive.

In another encounter, he and eight of his men were surrounded by some 50 to 60 CTs, also in the jungles of Yong Peng.

The CTs told them to surrender but one of his men, Corporal Mohamad, responded by firing his machine gun at the CTs and everybody else in Follows' group followed suit.

Their fierce resistance finally drove away the CTs.

In his address, Najib thanked the British war veterans for their contributions.

"In the early days we were dependent on our friends and friends you all were, and some paid the ultimate sacrifice.

"Malaysia's continued peace and prosperity must be attributed to the demonstration of such valour.

"It is my hope that by honouring you today, it will not only be a sign of our gratitude to you but, perhaps more importantly, it will be an eternal symbol of man's sacrifice and dedication in order to preserve peace for future generations to cherish," he said.

-- BERNAMA

We provide (subscription-based)
news coverage in our Newslink service.

See my post here for todays coverage in the Malaysian press of yesterdays event in the MHC London:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3958#3958

Post Re: MCH 
Paul Alders wrote:
Found on ...

Here's another one from Paul. He found this article in the Daily Express (their copyright 20/7/2006):

That is great to see those Chelsea Pensioners WEARING their medals.

An article in one of the Malaysian Malay daily newspapers:

(Please excuse the huge file size, I haven't a clue how to resize these things!)

Here's a rough translation of the article; my translation skills aren't all that good, so sorry if bits of it sound rather awkward!

WAR VETERANS AWARDED MEDAL
Najib honours the service of British former security personnel who served in Malaysia

(Berita Harian, 20th July 2006, London)

34 British former servicemen and security personnel who had served in Malaysia during the Emergency and the Confrontation received the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) from the [Malaysian] government yesterday.

The award ceremony, where the medals were presented by Datuk Seri Najib Razak at the Malaysian High Commission, is the first and will be followed by a second ceremony for another 74 former servicemen who will receive the same medal in Malaysia.

Deputy Prime Minister Najib stated that the Malaysian government deeply appreciates and honours those who had fought and made the ultimate sacrifice in protecting the nation in the face of enemy threat.

"You have played a big part in our struggle for freedom. I am very touched by your presence here and the government of Malaysia wishes to honour your services. Most of you have played an important role in ensuring Malaysia is free from the communist threat and her enemies, and it is with your support and sacrifice, that Malaysia remains in peace," Najib stated.

It is estimated that around 30,00 British former security personnel served in Malaysia between 31 August 1957 to 12 August 1966 but only 8,000 have stepped forward.

According to Najib, the same ceremony will be held each year to show Malaysia's appreciation and thanks to those have fought for Malaysia's peace and freedom.

Najib stated that awarding the medals would mean a lot to these former security personnel; in addition, it would project a good image of the country as war veterans were highly regarded in British society.

He also hoped that the award ceremony would send a message to the younger generation that establishing a sovereign nation is something which is not easily achieved.

"Freedom and independence demands the ultimate sacrifice, that is why we can enjoy it today. We must not forget the path this country has taken, and the people who have made sacrifices for it."

Last edited by FHR on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
He also hoped that the award ceremony would send a message to the younger generation that establishing a sovereign nation is something which is not easily achieved.

"Freedom and independence demands the ultimate sacrifice, that is why we can enjoy it today. We must not forget the path this country has taken, and the people who have made sacrifices for it."

FHR ... Many, many thanks for posting the article and the transaltion of the text.

The Malaysian Deputy PM made a speech with great dignity - it was very moving.

And your translation skills are brilliant. Just one bit I'd like you to check out, though ... are you sure there's not a missing "not" in "it would project a good image of the country as war veterans were [not] highly regarded in British society"!! (I'm only joking ... I think ... society may have a high regard for their veterans, but HMG definitely does not!).

Thanks again - and thanks for your support.

Barry

How about your version of events on here on the big day for us guys.

What was said to DPM who did you meet etc. I see you were sporting the PJM Badge too!

Post Re: Naval Vet gets his medal. 
George F wrote:
Another article in this morning's 20th local News letter by Simon Hunter.

Great piccie, George.

It sounds like Simon Hunter thinks it's a done deal to me - no mention of the Fight4thePJM seeking the right to wear this medal.

Barry

What was said to DPM who did you meet etc. I see you were sporting the PJM Badge too!

John, as the Deputy PM was handing me my keepsake he asked me about my Badge (I was wearing the Fight4thePJM Lapel Badge), and I just had time to say "It represents, Sir, all those who wish to have permission to wear with honour your honourable medal." I don't know whether he understood because I probably blurted it out in teh time taken to shake his hand. But he did say "Thank you" How about that!

Thanks for that, I now feel I was with you three getting an insiders view.

Onwards and Upwards as they say!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1