Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Lobby the HD Committee
Post Lobby the HD Committee 
Don't forget to lobby the HD Committee! It is they who perpetrated this colossal injustice. We strongly recommend, despite the temptation, that you do not get personal or use invective - simply state your case, please. Some of these Committee members understood part of our 'acceptance and wear' argument and they reversed Baroness Symons initial "No." Now we have to encourage them to re-think the other part - the infamous restricted element of the award of the PJM. Only factual arguments will achieve that.

We have published a letter George received from William Chapman - a member of the HD Committee. It explains the Committee's 'constitutional' position. It is on the main web site (access via menu options at the top of this Forum page) The Lobby page, HD Committee. The addresses of the current eight incumbents are also on that page.

We hope you will write to them.

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/lobby_hd_addresses.htm

These words **what a typical outcome from government**. says volumes.

This is brilliant stuff, George. Dr Fox is on our side, but I haven't seen a response quite like that before from anyone's office. Congrats, Barry

Let me add my congrats to those expressed by Barry, George!
'Jock'

Following your lead, I have just posted on the 'theyworkforyou' board the following:

An open letter: To all members of the HD Committee and to all MP’s.

Dear Sirs,

There is a concise piece of wisdom embodied within Thomas Bartholin’s oft-quoted phrase “Absurdity refutes itself”.

This quotation, both succinctly and precisely, describes the advice of the HD Committee to Her Majesty to permit UK veterans to receive, but not to wear, the PJM (Pingat Jasa Malaysia) generously offered to them by a grateful government of Malaysia.

Such a decision has had the effect of placing Queen Elizabeth in the invidious position of telling her loyal British veterans that they must be content with inferior rights and privileges, compared to those that she has previously conferred upon their Australian and New Zealand comrades-in-arms…How shameful!

Simultaneously, it has the further effect of insulting the veterans, belittling the sacrifice paid by those who gave their lives in the course of those conflicts and also must be responsible for an incredibly bad taste in the mouths of the Agong, Government and peoples of Malaysia…How discourteous!

There is widespread, and growing, condemnation of this absurdity. Expatriate British veterans, now resident in many countries around the world, are joining their British comrades at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/index.htm and are taking up the fight, resolute in their determination, to have the situation rectified…How appropriate!

Sincerely,

John ‘Jock’ Fenton. Canada.
(Ex Royal Corps of Signals & 17th Gurkha Division)

Post Dr Liam Fox 
George
What a great result.
Gerry

Post Jock's latest missive 
I've just read Jock's latest missive posted on "They Work For You", and I have posted this response.
Mr Fenton has encapsulated this whole issue in a few well constructed sentences. I was one of those who proudly served my Country in Borneo nearly half a century ago. I was one of the lucky ones - I came back. Many did not. And many came back but even now suffer from the mental or physical injuries that they experienced. A grateful Malaysian nation, a member of the Commonwealth, has seen it fit that they award their Honour medal to all those from many parts of the Commonwealth, who helped the fledgling nation in its hour of need. We are often told that the Commonwealth is like a big family, with Her Majesty as the Mother figure. Well, I'm afraid that the Mother figure has been allowed, courtesy of the out-moded HD Committee, to treat her younger offspring better than her eldest child. I refer to the approval given by Her Majesty to the veterans of Australia and New Zealand for unrestricted acceptance of the PJM. At the same time, British veterans may recieve the medal (and only that was achieved after months of lobbying), but they are not permitted to wear it. Time now to end the travesty and rescind the absurd decision. Let honour and integrity rule, and confine absurdity to the rubbish bin.
GerryL

Post Re: Jock's latest missive 
[quote="GerryL"]I've just read Jock's latest missive posted on "They Work For You", and I have posted this response.
Mr Fenton has encapsulated this whole issue in a few well constructed sentences.

Gerry...Thank you for bolstering my argument on"They Work For You", ...I almost didn't recognise myself, being so respectfully described as 'Mr Fenton'...I'm not accustomed to such genteel and courteous treatment!

Keep up the pressure lads!...Hit them hard: hit them often: and hit them where they least expect it!

'Jock'

BlOOdy well said George! That, in my opinion, is how to treat these jumped up servants of society. I think the more riled we seem to appear the more notice someone will take of us, including the press. My opinion of course

Post Diane Abbott 
Strewth George, I was watching that same news clip while Carol (the Boss here) was doing her thing on the puter. We heard Diane Abbott's comments about Quangos and I said to Carol, "when you've finished on the puter, I'll post a message about that - I'm sure the guys will find it interesting." Less than 5 minutes later, she relinquishes the hot seat and I log on only to find that you have pre-empted me. Well done, Sir. This group is even thinking as one entity now.
Gerry

Post Well Done All! 
You are absolutely spot on. I heard what Diane Abbot said about unelected quangos and thought I would drop her a line but it was done much better than I could do. Great George. Looks like we are all thinking the same and that our efforts also seem to have a bite now. We are going to beat the 'who-haas' at their own game. After all, many years ago we stood together and we beat a more determined enemy in the jungle of Malaysia and Borneo, so this lot of chinless wonders are 'nae bother ata', as we say in Scotland. I have just posted off another letter with a copy of the Cabinet Office, Ceremonial Secretariat, letter to my MP Mr. David Mundell who is very supportive of the cause to wear the PJM on behalf of our local regiment the KOSB and voters of course.

Post Me too 
I saw it too and made a mental note to write something this morning. Beaten to it by George, John, Gerry and 'mcdangle' - and I bet many others were in the same position as me.

On Newsnight even Red Ken's politically opposite number and beaten candidate for London Mayor (Tory Steve Norris) was up in arms about it. He also pointed out Labour's reliance on QUANGO's when it suited them.

But I'm not going to detract from anything on that Newsnight interview. This is grist to our ever-more-powerful mill.

Post Sir Robert Janvrin 
Here's another tack that I thought might work.

Pingat Jasa Malaysia

Dear Sir Robert

I am writing because I feel that Her Majesty has been ill-advised in allowing this award to be received but not to be worn by several thousands of her loyal ex service personnel who served in Malaya/Malaysia during the Emergency/Confrontation. Her Majesty sanctioned unrestricted acceptance for the other Commonwealth forces who served alongside their British comrades in arms.

I accept that the Australian and New Zealand Governments have seceded from the Honours and Decorations system that is in use in the UK, but the fact that they were allowed to advise Her Majesty to approve the medal for wear, whilst our own Committee could not see its way clear to follow that example, makes the whole issue rather shambolic. At a stroke, the decision of the HD Committee has made second class veterans of all those who served so faithfully half a century ago.

I note that you are a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order and I imagine that it was with immense pride that you received the insignia from Her Majesty. After all, this is a highly prestigious award and in the gift of Her Majesty herself. Such pride is fully understandable from we veterans who know what it is to serve our Monarch.

The PJM is not as grandiose as any of the levels of award available within the RVO, but it is awarded by a grateful Monarch and Government to honour the service and sacrifice made on their behalf. As such, it is held in the same esteem that you will hold your high honour.

The conflict in Malaysia was not purely a military campaign. It proved to be a copybook example of the “hearts and minds” approach. There were many awards for brave conduct during this period, including a Ghurka VC in 1965. We also helped the local population in any way possible. Although not aircrew, my comrades were required at times to act as temporary crewmen on helicopters and I personally assisted in two missions which involved airlifting injured civilians from remote jungle villages to the hospital at Kuching. It is for such service that the Malaysians have seen fit to award their PJM, as well as for the more obvious military actions against terrorist incursions.

All of the veterans swore an Oath of Allegiance to Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and most of them still hold that Oath to be binding. But we do not feel that our loyalty has been best rewarded in this matter. I accept that there must be rules and protocols to control the wearing of medals, otherwise the left breasts of our servicemen and veterans will resemble those seen in nations that delight in sticking coloured badges everywhere. All we are asking is that the rule forbidding us to wear the PJM with pride alongside our General Service Medals, be set aside for this particular situation.

None of those who qualify for the PJM is still in uniform. We are, mostly, in our twilight years and the unrestricted acceptance of the PJM will give us joy in those years. It will also restore the pride in our nation that carried us to war and to success. I urge you, Sir Robert, to use your influence to achieve a fair conclusion to this matter.
Yours Sincerely

Gerald Law (ex RAF Borneo veteran)

Post Good stuff George! 
Good news indeed George!

...it appears that the pressure of our collective emailing strategy is starting to produce some effect...While I am delighted with that, I'm wondering what we can do to obtain some media coverage? A short article (even a Letter to the Editor) in a local (UK) newspaper, or better yet, a brief mention on TV, would work miracles for public understanding of our complaint....and the more we can educate the public, the louder our complaint will resonate in governmental circles.

The forces that we are dealing with rely absolutely on their relative anonymity...it behoves us therefore to find methods of focussing the harsh light of public scrutiny upon their work...it will not withstand such exposure for obvious reasons.

Do any of you gentlemen, resident in the UK, have a media contact who might be cajoled into giving us just a little 'ink'?

It's 'the squeaky wheel that gets the grease'....we have to 'squeak' as loudly, effectively, and publicly, as we can!

'Jock'.

Post And furthermore... 
All...

Further to my previous post on the topic of the need for media coverage...Just to prove that I am prepared to' Walk the walk' and that I am not, as my friends who are exponents of 'Estuary English' would say; 'Orl Mahf an' no trahsis'... I have just sent the following to the BBC International News Site....fingers crossed!

'Jock'.

March 2, 2006

To Whom It May Concern:

Dear Sir/Madam

Subject: Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM)

On your February 2nd website, you ran an article entitled “Malaya Veterans Win medal Battle”.

Permit me to advise you that this ‘battle’, far from being ‘won’, remains engaged. It is in fact, fiercer than before and for significant reason.

You may be aware of the recent recommendation of the Honours and Decorations Committee that denies British Malaya and Borneo veterans the right to wear the PJM that has been graciously offered to them by the King and Government of Malaysia for their part in successfully protecting newly independent Malaysia from aggression.

Many veterans of those jungle campaigns are registering their extreme disappointment at the recent decision reached by Her Majesty's advisors, who comprise the HD Committee (an un-elected ‘Quango’ incidentally!), regarding the restricted acceptance of the PJM announced in the FCO Ministerial Statement on the 31st January 2006.

I am writing to you to ask if you will support us by publicizing the facts of our continuing struggle to have this shameful recommendation amended, so that I, and others like me, have formal permission to wear our PJM with pride. That is all we are seeking. The Queen has accepted the medal - we just want to be able to wear it.

To tell 35,000 loyal military ex-servicemen and women, and civilians, that they may accept a medal, which they will not be permitted to wear, defies all logic. On one hand, we are told that two rules (double-medalling and events over 5 years ago) are waived to permit acceptance and then, paradoxically, are immediately resurrected as reasons for the medal not to be ‘formally’ worn. To make matters worse, the double-medalling objection is wrong not only because thousands of veterans eligible for the PJM have no British medal, but also because the 5 year rule is spurious when applied to the scope of the Malaysian medal which was offered to the British in 2005.

This decision denigrates the loyalty and service of the affected veterans. In addition, it demeans the sacrifice made by our comrades who fell during the course of those conflicts. It also offers an unwarranted insult to the Agong, Government and People of Malaysia.

The restricted recommendation places Her Majesty the Queen in the invidious position of having told her British citizens that they must accept rights inferior to those which she has previously conferred upon her Australian and New Zealand citizens, their Commonwealth comrades, despite the British being the only ones to serve in all parts of Malaysia throughout the period.

Bearing in mind those eligible for the PJM are now ageing civilians who will never wear a uniform again, it is difficult to understand why we have been denied this little bit of joy for what we did for Malaysia. More than that, why have we been made to appear as second-class citizens?

Malayan & Borneo veterans would be most grateful for any public exposure, you might be able to provide, of these facts.

Thank you for being so generous with your time as to read this submission.

John ‘Jock’ Fenton.
(ex Royal Corps of Signals & 17TH Gurkha Division)

PS: Please see the WebPages at www.fight4thepjm.org for more information. It is also where we list those MP’s who have indicated their support (or the lack thereof).

Post Re: And furthermore... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
'Orl Mahf an' no trahsis'...

Jock, that's one thing we can be sure about! (Anyway it'd be troos not trahsis). You're a stalwart amongst us and that last message to the BBC was brilliant.

Post Re: re: And furthermore... 
Well Barry....it sometimes seems to me that I am 'sniping' from long range in this fight, while my British based buddies are doing all the trudging through 'the lalang' (figuratively speaking)...still; 'they also serve' etc. etc.

Incidentally... it could just as well be 'breeks' as 'trews'...equally colloquially valid!
'Jock'

Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next