Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Local Newspapers
Post Local Newspapers 
I've just emailed one of my local newspapers. This is the start of a blitz on all the locals within my area, and beyond.
Dear Editor
There are probably many living in Crawley who served in the Malaya Emergency/Borneo Confrontation in the 1950/60s. They may not be aware that the Malaysian Government has announced that all those who served between their gaining Independence and cessation of hostilities in 1966 are to be awarded their new service medal, the Pingat Jasa Malaysia. Application forms may be obtained from most veteran associations, or from the web site of the National Malaya and Borneo Veterans Association at www.nmbva.co.uk.
There is one drawback, however. The British Government has advised Her Majesty to allow veterans to accept the medal, but they will be forbidden to wear it. This is contrary to the advice given by the Australian and New Zealand Governments who advised the same Queen to authorise unrestricted acceptance. So far the British Government has remained steadily silent on the issue, and our own MP, Laura Moffatt, has been as silent as her parliamentary colleagues. A campaign has been mounted at www.fight4thepjm.org.
Gerry

Post Local Newspapers 
23rd February 2006.
Letters to The Editor.

The AUSTRALIAN Newspaper
Melbourne
Australia

Dear Sir,

Subject: The Poms are at it – Again.

Recently (30 January 2006), His Excellency Major General Michael Jeffery AC CVO MC., Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, was invested with the Pinjat Jasa Malaysia. (PJM). A medal struck by the Agong and Government of Malaysia to commemorate and recognise all those who served with the Armed Forces of the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji, in North Borneo, Sarawak, Brunei and Malaysia during the Confontasi (Confrontation), with Indonesia during the early 1960’s.

The day after the GG was invested with his PJM in Canberra, by Datuk Ilyas Bin Haji Din RMN., representing the Agong and Government of Malaysia, the UK Government released a Statement which I paraphrase :- “The British Government has advised Her Majesty to allow veterans to accept the medal, but they will be forbidden to wear it.”

This is contrary to the advice given by the Australian and New Zealand Governments who advised the same Queen to authorise UNRESTRICTED acceptance. So far the UK Government has refused to satisfactorily justify, their disgraceful decision.

Sir, 35,000 ex-members of the UK Armed Forces have been insulted by this silly, silly, statement.

Not only the veterans, but the Agong and Government of Malaysia must feel aggrieved at this decision? You can have it, but not wear it? Why would the Agong and Government of Malaysia offer this medal, if it was not meant to be worn?

I am an Australian citizen who served in the RAF in all of these theatres. When I march in the annual Anzac Day March in 2007, will I be marching alongside a digger proudly wearing his PJM while I have my PJM in my pocket.

You may ask why Anzac Day 2007. It took the UK Government nearly a year to make this disgraceful decision, so I cannot see them being able to distribute this award until 2007, by which time a lot of my compatriots will be dead. Perhaps that is the Grand Strategy?

I ask all ex-service of the UK to join in the protest that is being raised at a web site created for just this aim, at…

www.fight4thepjm.org

John Feltham
Ex RAF Veteran and Member of the RSL
Australia

This is great stuff. It's inspired me to write to my local paper. I'll get a copy this week and post my letter here. Barry

Post Re: PJM media update: 
George F wrote:
[February 24, 2006]
An FCO spokesman said: "The veterans have been allowed to receive the medal but have not been given the authority to wear it. "However, it's not something that will be policed. It's up to individuals to decide."

That statement really winds me up! It underlines the inanity of this no-wear ruling that cannot be imposed on civvies - "we're going to begrudge you guys that bit of joy, that bit of pride, that the PJM stands for ... and we're not going to allow those johnny foreigners to park their bauble where we wear real British medals ... but if you want to pin it next to your train spotters badges, we're not policing it!" Because you can't, because you have no power to do so. And I bet that rankles!

What a spiteful and condescending attitude from a bunch of unelected, highly pensioned (funded by us) privileged dinosaurs who wouldn’t know the difference between their hulus and their igloos.

They are trying into lull us into indolence. I for one will not fall for it. And if you want to be wound up even more, here is another excerpt from that same Tiger article:

“Individuals are not allowed to apply. A single letter has to come from a regiment association.

In addition, British Government rules mean the Malaysian medals cannot be worn during Armistice parades.

The British Government has already handed out general service medals to honour veterans of the Malaysian conflict.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) also has rules over medals awarded for events in the "distant past".

An FCO spokesman said: ‘The veterans have been allowed to receive the medal but have not been given the authority to wear it.’”

Spot the newspaper’s deliberate errors - and their incompetence as they swallow the official spin hook line and sinker? When will they ever learn? Sorry, stupid question.

Interesting news update from THE SOLDIER MAGAZINE.

George, Take the words as they are written and seemingly it's down to the Queen to have withheld permission!

Sure Barry, but I would rather put my dependance on the official wording in the letter you received from the cabinet office, than the editor of the Soldier magazine.

Absolutely, George. As I understand it, the Queen doesn't have the constitutional power to amend the HD Committee's recommendation which was encapsulated in that Cabinet Office letter (for those who are not aware, the HD Committee is organised by the Cabinet Office and so the letter is from "the horse's mouth").

The letter is at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_cabinet_office_letter_1.htm - it winds me up each time I read it. Its appalling revelations about how the unelected QUANGO regard the PJM's status as a tin trinket reminds me why I shall not give up this fight.

1. ***No UK citizen 1 may accept and wear a foreign award without the Sovereign's permission. ***

George

But this same Sovereign has already given permission to Kiwis and Aussies to wear it.

In fact, when the Commonwealth Games are opened in 11 days time, the Sovereign will be accompnied by a man wearing his PJM.

Post Illegal or Not. 
George, I sent an email last night to the Daily Express on the same subject of illegality pointing out that the unelected HD Committe have not the legal right to make or amend our laws, Her Majesty the Queen does not make or amend laws and only rubber stamps those she is asked to do, and Ian Pearson MP is also not permitted by us the electorate and our Parliamentary procedures, to make or amend laws or to instruct Parliament in a Ministerial Written Statement that he has done so. Make no mistake what they have done is illegal and they will have to sort it out and those who have supplied Her Majesty with the wrong advice are the ones who should be punished, and not the veterans of the Malaya/Malaysia/Borneo jungle campaigns who only did their duty and are now being unlawfully punished.

Technically. the UK Foreign medals rule document would dismiss this one by stating Kiwis and Aussies are not UK citizens.

This Australian Citizen, since 1986, is also a Citizen of the United Kingdom, since birth.

I carry Passports of both Countries.

That is why if I was in your situation I would use it to question and embarrass the UK FCO to explain why you are not allowed to wear your PJM at a FORMAL occasion such as Anazc day, to see what they say.

In fact I would bombard the British Embassy in Canberra with similar letters and ask them as well to explain the UK PJM medal Ministerial Statement.

What a good idea.

And there was I just going to bed.......

Post Newspapers 
I've emailed the Washington Post & USA Today, lets stir it up in Bush's back yard he might just ask his mate Tony "Wot the HELL is going on"

HAVE A NICE DAY

Post Re: Newspapers 
Paul Alders wrote:
I've emailed the Washington Post & USA Today, lets stir it up in Bush's back yard he might just ask his mate Tony "Wot the HELL is going on"

HAVE A NICE DAY

I shall now, Paul!

Great stuff.

No doubt they will be aware of their Oil Spot Strategy! See http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Appendix_8_The_Daily_Telegraph_03_12_2005.pdf

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1