Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
The Duke Of Gloucester wearing medals.
Yes I noticed those on TV last night George and also Charles', I guess that all of them are pressies from Aunty and Mommy

Post Re: The Duke Of Gloucester wearing medals. 
George F wrote:
Photo of Defence Secretary Des browne and The Duke Of Gloucester wearing medals at the Somme ceromony in France yesterday.

First three gongs are
No1 Cornation Medal 1953
No2 Silver Jubilee 1977
No3 Golden Jubilee 2002.

Any subscriber to the forum know what are the Dukes last three gongs are called?
They cannot be campaign gongs, so are they foreign, commonwealth or some sort of service gongs.

George F

Tricky one that, George.

The Duke's honours include:

Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (1997),
Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (1974),
Grand Prior of the Order of St. John (1975)
Grand Cross of the Order of St Olav, from Norway (1973)
The Royal Order of the Northern Star, from Sweden (1975)
The Duke of Gloucester also has Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation Medal (1953), Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee Medal (1977) and Queen Elizabeth II's Golden Jubilee Medal (2002), among others.

Not sure what the 'among others' means. PJM? Nah!

He needs a few. Here are his 'honourary' (i.e. 'given0 Military Appointments:

Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Anglian Regiment
Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Army Medical Corps
Deputy Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Logistic Corps
Deputy Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment
Royal Colonel of the 6th (V) Battalion, The Rifles
The Royal Honorary Colonel of the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia)
Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Odiham.
Honorary Air Marshal of the Royal Air Force.

Those yellow ribbons look distinctly Scandinavian to me ... is that 'Foreign'?

Nice picture, makes me shake with rage at the inequity of it all. Obviously the media don't pick up on this sort of thing. Despite numerous letters to the media I have written, both here in Australia and the UK, there has been a lack of interest, strange! I thought they were interested in sleazy things the government did.

Nice picture, makes me shake with rage at the inequity of it all. Obviously the media don't pick up on this sort of thing. Despite numerous letters to the media I have written, both here in Australia and the UK, there has been a lack of interest, strange! I thought they were interested in sleazy things the government did.

Ivor

UK newspapers will only run a story if it sells more newspapers, at the moment Wayne Rooney and their wagos get the headlines, I wonder how many headlines our guys got between 1947-1966 up to their waists in the mire........and possibly who will get what gongs for their ineptitude Confused

Nice picture, makes me shake with rage at the inequity of it all.

Me, too. All those medals are gimme's from family and friends, and we think the last three are Foreign decorations.

In the context of how the PJM was earned, I am proud to be part of this campaign. If I were a member of the Royal Family sporting Foreign gongs like that, I hope I'd be ashamed to be part of the Imperial Honours System that discriminates between the privileged and the ordinary man and woman in the street.

Did readers know that one of the reasons for denying PJMers the right to wear their medal, a reason that they deliberately hid from the Ministerial Statement, was that it would compromise both previous awards (like those being worn by Armed Forces charlatans!) and the integrity of the Imperial Honours System (what they mean here is that too many Foreign medals have been awarded ... like those three to the Queen's cousin!).

“Shake with rage, IvorJ”? Too bloody right.

Last edited by BarryF on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

I did 2 tours of duty in Borneo and Malaya, the second one resulting in my being casavaced. I travelled back to the UK with a number of Royal Marines and Army blokes who had a range of conditions from gunshot wounds and shrapnel wounds as well as hideous jungle ulcers. (I was actually photographed by 'Honey' magazine at RAF Lynham, being unloaded in a wheelchair, for a feature article they were doing). I feel honoured to be one of the 32,000 veterans who endured danger and hardships in that campaign and I shall wear my PJM alongside my GSM knowing it was earned and not given out because of privilege or to some chinless wonder with the right connections. Tomorrow I will get my blood pressure back in shape by attending to my herb garden in the gorgeous Queensland winter sunshine. I hope we beat the ba----ds.

Ivor Rich ex RN Malay/Borneo 63/65

I did 2 tours of duty in Borneo and Malaya, the second one resulting in my being casavaced. I travelled back to the UK with a number of Royal Marines and Army blokes who had a range of conditions from gunshot wounds and shrapnel wounds as well as hideous jungle ulcers. (I was actually photographed by 'Honey' magazine at RAF Lynham, being unloaded in a wheelchair, for a feature article they were doing). I feel honoured to be one of the 32,000 veterans who endured danger and hardships in that campaign and I shall wear my PJM alongside my GSM knowing it was earned and not given out because of privilege or to some chinless wonder with the right connections. Tomorrow I will get my blood pressure back in shape by attending to my herb garden in the gorgeous Queensland winter sunshine. I hope we beat the ba----ds.

Ivor Rich ex RN Malay/Borneo 63/65

This piece of information is like a goldmine to us Ivor, this web forum is read widely by those in HMG, perhaps they will now have the decency to see what you were doing 40 plus years ago when they were still in nappies.

If anyone else has stories like this to tell please let those Civil Servants and the rest of the world know by placing your messages here. Slims Army in Burma may well have been The Forgotten Army once but no one will forget the Malay Veterans, we will make sure of that.

As for your last sentence, affirmative! It must be costing the taxpayer a fortune and those costs will multiply until they decide to withdraw their non sensical rules.

I did 2 tours of duty in Borneo and Malaya, the second one resulting in my being casavaced.

Ivor, Your post tells a story that everyone should read. I've published it on the main web site at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/whatwesay_the_PJM_case.htm.

Thanks for the message,

Barry

I am not comfortable telling war stories but if it will help then read on.
I did two tours in Borneo with 40 commando R.M. During one of the "Claret" operations we carried out, our raiding party came under mortar fire from the Indonesian location "Bantam", during this attack one of our corprals was killed by this mortar fire and after a fire fight we withdrew and carried his body through the jungle back to Plaman Mapu. I could go on but you all know the score.
Not eneogh risk and rigour for the fat armchair decision makers eh!!

Bob Bryant

That is what we are here for, fighting a rearguard action for those that can't speak and act for themselves, together, we will shame these bar stewards into submission. Thanks for telling it as it is............

Thanks for telling it as it is............

I'll second that. We want to hear 'how it was' - the suits need to know, because they don't - yet.

I've just spoken with a civil servant. I can't mention his name nor his department because he'll be immediately recognised and that's not fair to him.

Anyway, he had seen the image on page 23 of the NMBVA Journal and he said that he did not realise that we worked so closely with the locals. I explained that we had lived in their villages, in their long houses, and shared therir lives. The idea was to earn the trust of the Malaysian people and, through them, to get to know what was going on and to anticipate trouble before it exploded. Through that 'anticipation', we were able to deal effectively with enemy intentions and so we did not alienate local people by causing unnecessary death and destruction.

I was amazed to hear that those making recommendations about the PJM actually have little idea about the Ivor and Bob experiences - and nothing about the little bit that people like me were involved in.

Bob - I'd like to place your story on the main web site.

Barry

If the Malay/Borneo Campaign had been in recent times there would have been a flood of TV cameras, reporters and satellite images flashed across the world. Politicians would have visited the troops on location in carefully scripted events. In some ways it was probably a good thing it wasn't so public, except current public servants might have had some idea what it was like. Never the less we can all be comforted knowing we were all silent achievers who did what was expected of us. Pity the fat cats can't get a grasp on it.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1