Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
National Veterans Day - 27th June 2006
Post National Veterans Day - 27th June 2006 
Have a read of this:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/newsroom_and_speeches/press/2006/press_40_06.cfm

Now, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I find some of this difficult to stomach.

I'm not just talking about the two-faced approach to the PJM, I'm talking about the treatment of all our veterans.

Like the Territorials wounded in Iraq. Very soon after being medevac’d back here they are classified as civvies and dumped into a civilian health service system which has no understanding of what the casualty has been through. He or she doesn’t even have mates in the next bed with whom to exchange warries and whinges.

Then there are those at the top who, for entirely political reasons, have endeavoured to have men tried in civilian courts for alleged offences while on active service! Can you believe that … our armed forces are now in fear of breaking the law having been sent on active service (and under false pretences)! What are the thoughts that go through their minds as they tighten the pressure on the trigger while defending civilians and themselves?

To say nothing of the lack of equipment - poor equipment - which has had fatal results on some of those in our armed forces.

And the result … we cannot meet our recruiting targets (*). Do you wonder why when veterans are treated like this?

Barry

(*) PS Yippee! Great news breaking!!! The MoD tell us they are now meeting those recruiting targets!! Well done MoD! What a relief - we can all sleep soundly at night again. With the increasing man/woman-power requirements they say they are achieving their targets, almost.

How did you do that, MoD? By reducing the numbers targeted, that's how!!! And if they don’t meet the new lower figures, I have no doubt at all that the MoD will reduce the targets again and again and again until they reach negative figures (because of the all time high desertions and the downward spiral of recruits in Scotland after their proud regiments were shown the door) ... and they have to set up their recruiting caravans in Bagdad.

Footnote ... they have had to get rid of the 300-year old individual identity of those loyal Scottish Regiments not only because of the falling recruiting numbers but because there is the intention of making cutbacks in Scotland and those cutbacks would be too obvious in the existing battalions. So they've merged them so the cuts will not be that obvious in the larger units. I hope they know what they are doing - a vain hope, methinks.

Post Re: National Veterans Day - 27th June 2006 
BarryF wrote:
Have a read of this:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/newsroom_and_speeches/press/2006/press_40_06.cfm

Now, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I find some of this difficult to stomach.

I'm not just talking about the two-faced approach to the PJM, I'm talking about the treatment of all our veterans.

Indeed Barry.

I have just visited that URL and found more ....

Notes for editors

1. Snip.

2. He was awarded France's highest military honour (the Legion d’Honneur) in 2003, in addition to various medals awarded by the UK. He retired to Eastbourne 40 years ago and will celebrate his birthday at the Grand Hotel there.

Ah, but is he allowed to wear it?

3. In recognition of this the RAF scheduled a Tornado fly-past at midday today to commemorate Mr Allingham's birthday and his service.

And what do they give Confrontasi vets? A kick in the teeth.
4. The Chancellor and Mr Watson met Mr Allingham at his party in the Grand Hotel Eastbourne.

But, they won't meet us!

5. The series of commemoration ceremonies and events to take place around the first National Veterans’ Day on June 27thare:

On 8 June, Her Majesty The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will visit the Royal Hospital in London to meet the Chelsea Pensioners.
On 22 June, the Chancellor will visit the Imperial War Museum where he will set out plans for local schools and schoolchildren to establish archives of the memories of army, navy and air force veterans’ in each local area at the Museum's “Their Past Your Future” event

“Their Past Your Future” What a joke. What future? Can't wear a medal! Sounds like a good place to hold up a placard - "What about our PJMs?"

On 25 June, a parade will be held to mark National Service Day at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire.

Another good place to hold up the same placard.

On June 26, the 150th anniversary of the institution of the Victoria Cross on June 26th will be commemorated with a service at Westminster Abbey followed by a reception for all living recipients of the Victoria Cross and George Cross.

On June 27, the first national Veterans’ Day will be celebrated with events will in cities and local communities across the country to mark the service given by all who have been part of the HM Armed Forces. Veterans’ Day will raise awareness of the diversity of the veterans’ community and their contribution and relevance to life in the UK today. A special reception will be hosted by the Chancellor in the Cabinet War Rooms.

On the same day ceremonies will take place up and down the country where veterans’ medals will be presented. (There will be a ceremony in the Chancellor’s constituency in Kirkcaldy, with the Defence Secretary present on the previous day, June 26).

Kirkcaldy huh? Sounds like a good place to hold up a placard.

But NO CEREMONY to celebrate the wearing of the PJM?

On 1 July, the 90th Anniversary of the first day of the Battle of the Somme, will be commemorated with a series of events in France.

On 12 July, a Battle of Britain dinner and reception will be held at RAF Bentley Priory.

And those heroes only got a clasp for their great victory. Shame really.

On 27 July, a special event for veterans of the Korean War will be held at the Arboretum.

Was that a case of double medalling? The Korean Medal and the UN Korean Medal, with the Un medal being a 'foreign medal'?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1