Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
The PJM has not been 'formally accepted'
Post The PJM has not been 'formally accepted' 
You have been told that two rules were broken so that the PJM could be accepted and you should be very grateful to the powers that be for that so don't be tiresome and try and make fuss just because you can't wear it. Consider yourself lucky you have it at all.

In the same way that 'formal permission' to wear the PJM has not been given, so the medal has not been 'formally accepted' despite what you think you have been told.

To be formally accepted, the MoD should check your service records and only submit verified applications. That was a requirement of the Malaysians so all PJMers would be legit - only those who served Malaysia would get a medal. That was a requirement for the medal to be offered and accepted.

The MoD have since refused to check applications and so anybody can apply for a PJM and, so long as they get their dates right, they'll get a PJM. It's worse than buying a medal in the shops - at least you know the score when you purchase a 'souvenir'.

And it's not right or fair as far as Malaysia is concerned - they are paying for these medals and they are intended to mean something to the wearer and to Malaysia. Forget all that - by reneging on their deal, the British Government has successfully achieved its target of reducing the PJM to a worthless trinket available to all and sundry. It's all very, very sad ... and all very, very avoidable. Barry

Last edited by BarryF on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Post MORNIN 
HI ,WHEN WILL EVERYONE UNDERSTAND , TO THE UN INITITATED, THE MOD , IS THE ABSOLUTE ENEMY OF ITS SERVICE PEOPLE. STUFF EM ,TAKE THE PISS ,DO ANYTHING BUT BELIEVE EM! REMEMBER AFTER 50 YRS THE RELATIVES OF A RAF CHAP WHO DIED @ PORTON DOWN , IN 'RESEARCH FOR THE COMMON COLD' HAVE FINALLY WON COMPENSATION, IT WON;T HELP HIM OF COURSE, HE'S DEAD , SOMONE DROPPED SARIN NERVE GAS ON HIM, WHICH I SUPPOSE WAS A CURE, HE'LL NEVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CATCH A COLD AGAIN! IF WHAT YOU SAY IS FACT , WHY DO WE, FILL IN A FORM, WHAT THE HELL , IS THE MOD DOING IN THIS PROCESS, THEY SHOULD KEEP THE KIN'L OUT, I HAVE A MEDAL , NAME RANK NUMBER ROUTINE, WE ALL HAVE, BIRTH CERTIFICATES, PASSPORTS , ALL MANNER OF ID.WHY DON'T THE MALAYANS STAND UP , AND PROCESS, THE
APPLICATIONS THEMSELVES, THEY MADE AN ERROR OF JUDGEMENT INVOLVING MOD,AND THE SYCOPHANTIC TWATS WHO INHABIT IT. I RESPECT WHAT IS ON OFFER , 'GRATIS' WHY CAN'T WE COLLECTIVELLY, OR INDIVIDUALLY, GET 'OUR MEDAL' DIRECT FROM THOSE WHOSE INTENT WAS TO SHOW GRATITUDE, RATHER THAN GOING THRU A SYSTEM ( OURS) THAT HAS NO CRED.

Post Re: MORNIN 
ro5=6372 wrote:
WHY DON'T THE MALAYANS STAND UP , AND PROCESS, THE APPLICATIONS THEMSELVES, THEY MADE AN ERROR OF JUDGEMENT INVOLVING MOD.

We can't criticise the honourable Malaysians for trusting the dishonourable MoD to at least add some dignity to the PJM by sticking to their their side of the bargain by verifying the applications.

The Malaysians, like us, understand that unless a medal application is verified, the medal has no credibility. It has not been 'formally accepted'.

So if it's NOT been accepted why all the ballyhoo? Nobody as yet seems to able to answer my question "when will we get ours?" I was a 'mere boy' during that era (and I get the feeling that i won't get one anyway - eventhough I did enough 'qualifying time' some chicken uncivil servant will get in the way) but ther are many older guys around who unfortunately won't be for much longer, who 'did their bit' so again whenare the rank and file getting theirs (Ok so a couple of 'token' ones have been issued but really)........bit sad really both for Malaysia (bless those well meaning people -bet they didn't realise the poo they'd get into with a well meaning and honourable gesture!) and everybody else involved! Hurray for the British government and all they stand for!

So if it's NOT been accepted why all the ballyhoo? Nobody as yet seems to able to answer my question "when will we get ours?"

I can understand the sense of, dare I suggest, cynicism and frustration. I remember reading your message on the British Acceptance page at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_acceptance_br.htm. And they were very apposite comments you made, too.

As far as 'when', the latest news is that 2,800 medals have arrived and will be distributed by the Malaysian High Commission asap.

Thanks for your continuing support - this 'ballyhoo' will continue until the injustice is rectified. Civil servants are still using myths and spin to deny us a very uncomplicated right. It might be a 'game' to them, but not to us. And if it is not a 'game' to them, then they should display some honesty and integrity and stop the spin and start talking straight. The problem they have is that it is only the centrifugal force created by their own spin that keeps their shabby deceit 'up'.

Barry

Post 2800 medals 
As far as 'when', the latest news is that 2,800 medals have arrived and will be distributed by the Malaysian High Commission asap.

JUST AN ENQUIRY, I MEAN AFTER 43 YEARS WHATS THE HURRY,BUT DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA OF THE PROTOCOL FOR THE ISSUE OF THESE MEDALS,AGE, OR SERVICE, OR RANK, NOISIEST,ETC, COS WITH A POSSIBLE 35000 RECIPIENTS,THIS PROCESS MIGHT HAPPEN ANOTHER 11 TIMES.REGARDS TO ALL .HOPE THERE ARE LOTS OF E-MAILS, LETTERS ,FOR PHONEYDICK TO RETURN TO WORK TO, NOT TOO MANY JUST A STEADY DRIP,WANT THE GIT TO SUFFER ,NOT GET EARLY RETIREMENT WITH WORK RELATED STRESS! Wink

[ our own MOD who take up to two years to issue serving personnel a British medal.

In my case "they" (MoD), didn't issue me with my GSM.

I had to ask for it - some 40 years after I learned that I should have be issued with it.

It was only through the internet last year that I found out I was missing a clasp to my GSM.
The powers to be just do not care.

I think we are two of many John who had to claim our GSM's long after we were intitled to them.

George F

I have in front of me what the MoD laughingly refer to as my RAF Service Records. Three pages of R.A.F. Form 543R - wherein it has a space for "MEDALS, HONOURS AND AWARDS, ETC."

The space on my RAF Form 543R is totally empty.

However, the space headed "Time Forfeited" does have an entry "AWOL 2days" - 0915 24 October 1959 to 0755 26 October 1969. This was a Saturday and Sunday a few weeks after I got married.

I fancied a bit more time in bed, on the Saturday morning instead of going on a parade on a Saturday morning.

When I fronted up on the Monday morning I found out that I was AWOL! I think that I had to move into camp and serve out my 7 days jankers.

Wankers.....

I have in front of me what the MoD laughingly refer to as my RAF Service Records. Three pages of R.A.F. Form 543R

The letter that came with my records has the following....

"Almost all of your documents have been destroyed in accordance with the MoD document retention policy. However, your Form 543R - is still held and a copy of this is attached."

Post Wearing of the PJM 
What's all the fuss?.........I quote Richard Coney,"As we are all civiliians we are not breaking any rules by wearing the PJM".
Thats one problem sorted,
All we want is OFFICIAL recognition to the right to wear our medal.

Thanks for the helpful comments guys, such as they are. I do appreciate the problems and the fact that truthfully thanks to unseen civil sevants we'll never really know. Interesting comment on the Borneo clasp, the ship I was on at the time had a rumour going around that we missed that clasp by one day because of the skipper, when you think about it what a load of rubbish - we were going to and from Borneo and Malaya on a fairly regular basis - MOD probaly decided that one (Malay Peninsular) was enough for us, didn't want us to think we'd been any use did they? Incidentally I received the GSM I do have by being called to the ships office several years later to have a small box thrown at me with the instruction "get that on immediately, your not properly dressed without it" to which I made the stunning reply "OK, what is it?" Thank you for your service indeed!

And smudger your right - ONCE I GET THE PJM for the honour of my mates and those who didn't make it, and the Malaysian Goverment and people; when appropriate, I WILL WEAR THE PJM come what may!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1