Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Why did the MOD destroy important military records?
George well said! The destruction of records is a bone of contention with a lot of bods especially medical records where claims are concrned. Often medical records (if treated) will show where you were treated if that is not already on your discharge book

If any of you guys haven'tgot your RECORD of SERVICE or MEDICAL RECORDS you are entitled to them under the Data Protection Act 1998, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, I had to go to the UK Govt Ombudsman before I got mine. I can assure you the MoD know more about you than you remember about yourself!!!!!

Keep up the good work lads, WE WILL PREVAIL

Thanks John,

Something stinks about all this and I wont be happy until I get to the bottom of it.

George

Now that you have stated that George watch the shutters come down and stay firmly shut. That is how these people work, Civil my AR$E, they are nothing but a bunch of cruds, but really that is being unfair to cruds.........

I read your posts with interest, as I have only recently received my records of service. The letter which accompanied these documents from RAF Innsworth and dated the 16th January 2006, states:
"Dear Mr. Ockenden,
I refer to your recent request for a copy of your Service Records. Almost all of your documents have been destroyed in accordance with MOD document retention policy. However your (RAF Form 543) - Record of Service is still held, and a copy of this is attached.
I hope the enclosed is of assistance to you.
Yours sincerely,

Signatory (Mrs)
lM1a5a "

There are several mistakes and inaccuracies on the F543, that I won't go into, but it did make me wonder two things.

1. What is the " MOD document retention policy " ?
2. What other documents may have been available but were not sent to me with my F543?

Surely if there is a destruction policy, it should be described to us, and also we should be informed what other documents that we are entitled to and are available, could and should have been sent with the F543.

Do we have no redress in these matters once we become civilians and are no longer subject to service disciplinary action?

As to the Pingat Jasa Malaysia and wearing it, I shall give it pride of place over my GSM, in view of the niggardly behaviour of the Awards committee and the shameful advice given to Her Majesty The Queen, concerning the 'right' to wear and parade this medal, significant of the gratitude of a gracious foreign King, and his Government and people.

To that Honourable Government I offer apologies for the rudeness of the present Government of Great Britain, and my thanks, "Terima kasih la", for the recognition and gratitude of the Yang di Pertuan Agong, and the Government and peoples of Malaysia.

Andrew

Seven years after you left the RAF Andrew your detailed documents were destroyed in accordance with some stupid Air Force Law except your resume of service. I have already had this out with Innsworth and as usual NO REPLY but you are entitled to your medical records now there could be one or two eye openers there
J

Post RAF Records 
On request to Innsworth I received some of my original records along with a printout with one glaring error - I served on 228 OCU at RAF Leuchars - 1965/67 - the printout had this down as Coningsby. Why were we not given Medical and Service records upon Discharge - to avoid such mistakes?

Welcome to the PJM site and forum, I have been reading through some correspondence from Innsworth today re my service records, I have to say that they (RAF) are very inept at keeping some records, I got most of mine on the F543, I did write earlier that it was 7 years after one left the service that records were destroyed, I correct myself and reread the notes and it is 5 years that main records were destroyed after leaving the mob.

Medical records were still in existence (well most, the important ones had gone 'walkabouts'!!)

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1