Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Responses
Post Responses 
This is the first of two responses that arrived today.
Major R.A.J.Tyler MBE (ret'd)
Having read the article in the NMBVA publication "A Tribute and Commemoration" respecting the right of veterans to wear the PJM, I write in support of the campaign. The wearing of such medals issued to holders of our own campaign medals is not without precedent. The Rurkish War Medal was issued to our Forces after the Crimea Aar. The Khedive Star was issued by Egypt to our participants after the 1882 Sudan Campaign. More recently the United Nations awarded a medal to those fighting on their behalf in the Korean War. The issue of the PJM would not concern today's servicemen/women, as all participants will be ex-serice by now. Perhaps if we had people in Government who had worn the Queen's uniform this problem would not have arisen. Success to your elbow. Sincerely Roy Tyler.

Post Re: Responses 
GerryL wrote:
This is the first of two responses that arrived today.
Major R.A.J.Tyler MBE (ret'd)
Having read the article in the NMBVA publication "A Tribute and Commemoration" respecting the right of veterans to wear the PJM, I write in support of the campaign. The wearing of such medals issued to holders of our own campaign medals is not without precedent. The Rurkish War Medal was issued to our Forces after the Crimea Aar. The Khedive Star was issued by Egypt to our participants after the 1882 Sudan Campaign. More recently the United Nations awarded a medal to those fighting on their behalf in the Korean War. The issue of the PJM would not concern today's servicemen/women, as all participants will be ex-serice by now. Perhaps if we had people in Government who had worn the Queen's uniform this problem would not have arisen. Success to your elbow. Sincerely Roy Tyler.

Gerry,

I make no apology for repeating the whole letter.

Brilliant.

Post Response 
Test
I am just dropping a few lines to lend my support to the wearing of the PJM. It doesn’t seem right to me to stop all those veterans of Malaya-Singapore and Borneo from wearing this nice honour given by the Malaysian Government for service rendered. I wish you lots of luck in your endeavours in the wearing of the above medal. Yours sincerely. Mr E.J.Wort

Post The new Veteran's Minister 
Received this from the MOD
From: Mr Emran T. Husain BSc(Eng) MIEE, Defence Services Secretary— Honours 2,
MINISTRY OF DEFENCE Eighth Floor, Zone J
Main Building, Horseguards Avenue, Whitehall, London SW1A 2KB
Telephone
020 7218 0295
020 7218 2613
Mr Gerald Law
6 Knole Close
Crabbet Park
Worth
Crawley, West
Sussex
Date
RH1O 7GA

31 May 2006
Pingat Jasa Malaysia

Thank you for your letter of 27th April to Mr Don Touhig MP, the previous Minister for Veterans, concerning Honours and Decorations (HD) Committee’s decision that commemorative medal, the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) should not be worn.

The new Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence and Minister for Veterans is Mr Tom Watson MP. I have been asked to reply on his behalf.

We have noted your comments and there is nothing further that I can add to the explanation you received on the phone from Mr Don Touhig MP on 26th April 2006 on this subject, apart from to state that there are no plans for the UK Government to amend any qualifying criteria for foreign campaign medals for past service.

Post Another Exocet response 
Dear Mr Gerald Law
Will you please add my name to the list as a protestor against yhose running the Imperial Honours System for preventing me from wearing the PJM so graciously given by Malaysian Government.
I am not au fait with the IHS, but I was given a medal by the Maltese Government and nobody objected to that, even though I had an Africa Star for the same service. If only someone in high places can change IHS minds! Good luck with your endeavors and thank you for trying to do something!
Best Wishes
Charles A Cave (ex RAF)

Post Re: Another Exocet response 
GerryL wrote:
I am not au fait with the IHS, but I was given a medal by the Maltese Government and nobody objected to that, even though I had an Africa Star for the same service. If only someone in high places can change IHS minds! Good luck with your endeavors and thank you for trying to do something!
Best Wishes Charles A Cave (ex RAF)

Gerry, please tell Charles he's hit the nail right on the head. He is a living example of the MoD/FCO/HD Committee's duplicity.

The Malta medal was accepted unrestictedly for wear 50 years after the event it commemorates! (so much for their 5-year objection!).

But ...

You could only receive it if you already had a British campaign medal - the Africa Star! (so much for their double medal objection!).

Exactly the same thing happened with the Russian 40th Anniversary and the Atlantic Star.

Wakey-wakey MoD/FCO/HD Committee ... you're now seen to have misled the Queen. Time for a review of that shameful and mean-minded recommendation, methinks!

Can all those that read this forum get some support from the likes of the people in the posts above, the more pressure we can apply the greater the chances of getting this injustice overturned

Post Another contact 
Today's post brought a letter from Mrs Deborah Mitford whose late father served in Malaysia between 1963 and 1965. She asked how she might go about claiming her late father's PJM, so I have sent her a copy of the application form for posthumous claims. I also enclosed a letter explaining the background behind the Campaign for justice. Mrs Mitford was actually born out there during her father's tour of duty.

Post A reply To One O f My Letters 

I thought you might like to see reply received today from Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Matherson who sits on the H.D Committee.
Regards
Terry

I can't recall seeing a reply from an HD Committee member before, were there others? Anyone?

Well done Terry

What I would like to know is when do we REALLY start to canvass HMG big time, before, during or after the Summer Recess in Parliament.

Post Re: A reply To One O f My Letters 
revellt wrote:
I thought you might like to see reply received today from Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Matherson who sits on the H.D Committee.

Terry,

Thanks for letting us see the letter. I think that what he is trying to say is ... HD Committee members are not allowed to discuss anything with anybody and that correspondence should be between us and Denis Brennan, the Secretary at the Ceremonial Secretariat.

John: I have received answers to questions from HD members - last year. Now they are referred to DB or to one of the Departmental suits.

Post Re: A reply To One O f My Letters 
BarryF wrote:
[
John: I have received answers to questions from HD members - last year. Now they are referred to DB or to one of the Departmental suits.

That explains it then Barry, this way 'the HD Committee do not (presumably) make any further errors of judgement, I wonder who I would have to pay to get a job like that BOOM! BOOM!
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post PJM 
I am in full support with your efforts to get this medal, the lads that were in malaya and borneo did a tough and difficult and sometimes down right dangerous job. So if the Malasian Goverment are willing to provide this medal as a way of saying thankyou to all of them why should they not be allowed to wear it, although I was only in Singapore on a R.A.F. Regiment L.A.A Squadron March 1966 -October 1966 if I am lucky enough to get one I will wear it with pride and to hell with the HD committee.

An Ex Regiment Gunner

Welcome aboard Sandy, thanks for your support!

Here we go again, please see the attached letter from Chris Edge (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) - (The Honours Secretary) He even sent me a copy of the ministerial statement Jan 2006. Its certainly an uphill battle - but one that we shall win.

Click on image to upsize

Kind Regards,

Terry Revell

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next