Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
UK Veterans Day June 27th
Post UK Veterans Day June 27th 
How will you celebrate UK Veterans Day, what is your local town/village/council laying on for you? If you know of any celebrations please place them here for others to see as there is only 24 days left for THE BIG BANG

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4709478.stm

Will you be awarded your new VETERANS 'MEDAL' (mine is due for delivery this day, I wonder who will present this to me?) I have a PJM Miniature medal, I can wear that, I also have a PJM lapel badge, I can wear that too

Post UK Veteran's Day 
John
I emailed my local council to ask what they were organising and got no response. I emailed the Veteran's Agency and asked them if they could tell me what was being organised in West Sussex and got no response. I checked on the Veteran's Agency web site and found that there is a diary of events which can be accessed. The only event that I can see in my county is a Veteran's Agency stand outside a Tesco in Shoreham. I think that the whole business is just another political charade - the sound bite goes down well with the voters but they have no commitment to actually see the words backed up by action.

The support and advice available to veterans from official and voluntary sources, including ex-Service organisations.

Finally, Veterans Day will be an opportunity to celebrate with those who have given service and the service being given by those currently serving.

.....from the RBL website this really makes a mockery of how SOME Veterans are looked after.

Why are THEY not supporting us in the 'Official' right to wear a foreign medal which has nothing to do with them, bloody interferring busy bodies that somehow have to justify their own salaries, pensions and gongs, IT MAKES MY BL Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad D curdle

Post Veterans Day. 
Following a telephone call to our local Labour Representative (did I say representative, I must be mad) he decided on some spin and lies to justify his position and possible big salary and expenses, with the following in our local paper.

I will attend the event either at IWM of the RE Museum at Chatham The latter does not appear on the Veterans Agency web site Only found out because I was there last week.

IWM has music by the Irish Guards and Chatham the CRE band [the DofM last season before he retires from the Regular Army to move to the HAC.

Post Veterans Day June 27th 
Greetings John from Australia. Sorry I cannot be with you all on this memorable occasion. Please be assured that our thoughts will be with you all. Walk tall, walk proud, and most of all , you fair dinkum veterans have a pint for all of us that were there, and the memories that we share. Henry Higgins Royal Navy

Hi John. God only knows who will present the Veterans Medal in my area as the Local council, like others, has nothing planned. Can you tell me what Gordon Brown's Veterans Medal looks like? If it is a medal at all!! Will we be allowed to wear it? Will it be classed as a commeorative medal? I'd be very interested to know where your Veterans Medal is coming from and how you were informed you would be a recipient. With regard to the PJM I'm not holding my breath about when we will receive this honour from the Malaysian people. Meanwhile I would be proud to at least waer the lapel badge which you have shown. I would be grateful if you let me have details of where you obtained it etc. My e-mail address is (philcogan@blueyonder.co.uk). Regards, Phil.

Hi John. God only knows who will present the Veterans Medal in my area as the Local council, like others, has nothing planned. Can you tell me what Gordon Brown's Veterans Medal looks like? If it is a medal at all!! Will we be allowed to wear it? Will it be classed as a commeorative medal? I'd be very interested to know where your Veterans Medal is coming from and how you were informed you would be a recipient. With regard to the PJM I'm not holding my breath about when we will receive this honour from the Malaysian people. Meanwhile I would be proud to at least waer the lapel badge which you have shown. I would be grateful if you let me have details of where you obtained it etc. My e-mail address is (philcogan@blueyonder.co.uk). Regards, Phil.

Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum, stay tuned re the PJM badge, it might be a little while before I get any more, they are as rare as hens teeth, if you send either Barry Fleming or myself a Private Message by clicking on our profiles we might be able to help, just leave your name and address and we will do the rest. Should be with you though before the PJM Wink

Post Veterans Day 
To: 'Coney, Richard Mr'; 'BrowneD@parliament.uk'; 'browng@parliament.uk'; 'beckettm@parliament.uk'; 'strawj@parliament.uk'; 'blaira@parliament.uk'; 'blairt@parliament.uk'; 'prescottj@parliament.uk'; 'Johnsona@parliament.uk'
Subject: Veterans day

Gentleman,

Veterans Day tomorrow, I look forward to see which Minister appreciates us Veterans the most and forgets all about us on Wednesday.

Post Re: Veterans Day 
Paul Alders wrote:
Veterans Day tomorrow, I look forward to see which Minister appreciates us Veterans the most and forgets all about us on Wednesday.

Andy has just sent this cutting from the Scottish Daily Express (their copyright, dated 25th June 2006):

It seems that this is a closed shop for the Government ... and the day is being boycotted by veterans.

Post Veterans Day 
How's this for treatment of Veterans for Veterans Day.

I phoned the office of a Labour MP - Mr. Russell Brown, Dumfriesshire, and was told he had events planned but only for those who applied to him for their Lapel Badge and as I was not one of his constituents (I live 15 miles from Dumfries and joined the KOSB whilst living there) I could not get one from Russell Brown MP and I would have to apply to the Veterans Agency for my lapel badge. This in fact means that I was prevented from attending the event held in Dumfries on Sunday, 24th. June, 2006, which was attended by Des Browne, Defence Secretary, or any other event (drinkies on the taxpayer) organised by Brown.

You do not live in their constituency so you are not worthy of being involved in their Veterans Day celebrations. Some way to treat those who served their country. I wonder if Brown - Browne - Brown ever served their country on active service. I doubt it. I remember the Three Stooges so perhaps they should be renamed The Three Browns.

Post Re cutting from the 'Daily Depress' 
Just submitted the following by email as a 'Letter to the Editor'....fingers crossed!

Dear Sir,

The excellent 25th June article by Julia Hartley-Brewer & Kirsty Buchanan regarding the apparent government 'hijacking' of Veterans Day 'celebrations' touches a very raw nerve.

These are the mean-spirited actions of the same government, whose HD committee, which advised the Queen on the decision to refuse 'Formal permission to wear' of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, effectively 'hijacked' the generous intentions of a grateful and courteous Malaysian people.

Such conduct is nothing short of disgraceful.

The Foreign Office assertion that, "Medals cannot be requested if they are for service more than five years ago, or if a British award for the service has already been received. The PJM contravenes both rules." This is a blatant distortion of those very rules, which (purposely?) serves to confuse 'British' medals with 'Foreign' medals.

And when the Foreign Office opines: "These rules are not policed so if they would like to wear them without the proper authority they can."...it is being patently ridiculous!....the rules are not policed because they CANNOT be policed, since the Foreign Office knows full well that it can exercise no such authority over the actions of civilian recipients of a Foreign award.

Any individual who wishes to join the world wide movement to have this ridiculous ruling, which simultaneously insults Veterans, their fallen comrades and the Agong (King) and peoples of Malaysia, rescinded, should access the web site at: http://www.fight4thepjm.org/index.htm

Sincerely,

John 'Jock' Fenton.

(ex-Royal Corps of Signals & 17th Gurkha Division)

All Coventry has is a service in the church, invites only, I just might gate crash it?

Post Veterans Day 
With no events to attend, and wanting to wear the PJM, I went into the office in full regalia. This picture was taken when I got home and shows the RAF tie, NMBVA blazer badge, PJM lapel badge and the piece de resistance of the GSM and PJM in tandem. Unfortunately the HD Committee secret medal police were not around so it was something of a hollow gesture but did I feel good doing it.

Post TO GERRY L 
NICE ONE MATE NICE TO SEE A PREVIEW, OF WHAT WE'LL ALL LOOK LIKE, I DO MEAN THE MEDALS, NOT THE FUNGUS ROUND YOUR CHIN!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next